User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 146

  1. #81
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    I wonder how common over-diagnosing mental illness is. After all, no one is going to feel good 100% of the time. I'll find that in some of the things I post online, laypeople tend to jump to a diagnosis like depression or whatever, but that isn't necessarily me. I don't really have problems functioning in society, so I don't see myself as having any sort of clinical disorder. Does it do more harm than good to over-diagnose? Is it better to over-diagnose than under-diagnose? Etc. I'm no psychologist, so I can't say much on the matter.

    Either way, I don't want to say that I'm glad you have PTSD, but I'm glad that you eventually figured out what it is if that makes sense.
    Thanks! It makes sense.

    I can't speak for everyone, but for me overdiagnosing definitely did more harm than good. Probably because I felt like there was something severely wrong with me and I was confused about why, when I brought up past things, therapists didn't want to talk about it or would defend the things that happened. So eventually I just figured nothing worth conversation had happened and that the problem was me.

    The hardest diagnosis to deal with was borderline personality disorder. My therapist thinks I was given that one because I self harmed and tried to kill myself a lot. But I was treated as a manipulator and a liar after I was given that diagnosis, so I think part of the issue was that mental health workers simply didn't believe me when I brought up past things (because of what they diagnosed me with).

  2. #82
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Also, I forgot to write this, but the way you are medicated and even what type of treatment you get depends on a diagnosis, so overdiagnosing can cause people to receive the wrong type of meds and treatment. I should never have been put on antipsychotics or Lithium, among other things. It was also suggested I do ECT, but thankfully that never happened!
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

  3. #83
    Senior Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx
    Posts
    5,776

    Default


    Depression. Reoccurant. Last episode(current) with psychotic features.

    Dysthymic disorder

    Social anxiety disorder/phobia.

    Add Inattentive.

    Then a bunch of NOS question marks.

    It all keeps changing. Lost the panic disorder diagnosis though- now all thats just considered to be just overlap of all my other shit.

    But I've really been doing so much better. I take my meds regularly and Ive been trying to find other strategies for when Im feeling my worst and I just feel like Im improving so much- just my overall outlook feels better- and yeah. Its just a good feeling.

  4. #84
    Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    4,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    Also, I forgot to write this, but the way you are medicated and even what type of treatment you get depends on a diagnosis, so overdiagnosing can cause people to receive the wrong type of meds and treatment. I should never have been put on antipsychotics or Lithium, among other things. It was also suggested I do ECT, but thankfully that never happened!
    ECT is torture, I'm amazed it is even practised anymore. Rarely do you find people willing to take part in that.

    I imagine over diagnosis is more common in the states, there are swathes of it here... I think if you are from a poor socio economic background with little support you get diagnosed pretty easily as you are auto put into a high risk group.

    I tried three or four different types of anti depressant when I was quite a bit younger plus whatever I was prescribed during an admission stint. Tbh nothing ever worked for me.

    I honestly think a loving family and you basic needs being met in some kind of routine is so much more of a factor in recovery than meds. Of course I do know that some people find meds work and there are certain situations where it's really important to have them. I just don't buy into medicating everything.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"
    Likes prplchknz, magpie, N/A liked this post

  5. #85
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    ECT is torture, I'm amazed it is even practised anymore. Rarely do you find people willing to take part in that.

    I imagine over diagnosis is more common in the states, there are swathes of it here... I think if you are from a poor socio economic background with little support you get diagnosed pretty easily as you are auto put into a high risk group.

    I tried three or four different types of anti depressant when I was quite a bit younger plus whatever I was prescribed during an admission stint. Tbh nothing ever worked for me.

    I honestly think a loving family and you basic needs being met in some kind of routine is so much more of a factor in recovery than meds. Of course I do know that some people find meds work and there are certain situations where it's really important to have them. I just don't buy into medicating everything.
    I'm gonna play half the devils advocate here because i agree with you that most of the times meds aren't needed. I was one of those people who had their basic needs met and did not really start feeling relief until i was prescribed the rights med, and it wasn't over night that i magically got better from taking them. just they stablized me enough so that what you're talking about could help. I agree i do best if i eat regularly, sleep enough, stay hydrated, and socialize just normal socialization, then if i take my meds and do none of that. so that stuff is important, but sometimes meds are simply needed,i'm not proud to be on them, in fact i often feel shame for having to take them. but if i dont take my meds and keep doing that i might be ok for a little while but every time i do that something breaks and i have to go back on meds,
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  6. #86
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm gonna play half the devils advocate here because i agree with you that most of the times meds aren't needed. I was one of those people who had their basic needs met and did not really start feeling relief until i was prescribed the rights med, and it wasn't over night that i magically got better from taking them. just they stablized me enough so that what you're talking about could help. I agree i do best if i eat regularly, sleep enough, stay hydrated, and socialize just normal socialization, then if i take my meds and do none of that. so that stuff is important, but sometimes meds are simply needed,i'm not proud to be on them, in fact i often feel shame for having to take them. but if i dont take my meds and keep doing that i might be ok for a little while but every time i do that something breaks and i have to go back on meds,
    Basically this. Also from one pill popper to another, don't feel no shame .

    @HelenOfTroy There are some individuals who truly need meds in order to move forward and get better. Does it solve everything? Nope, but for some without them you can do all the work in the world: sleeping right, exerscize, meditation, good diet, and ultimately it just won't be enough. In my experience these people aren't as common as the media makes it out to be. Depression is really common, but no all those with depression actually need meds.

    Mental disorders are on a spectrum, and depending on where you lie on it dictates what you need. Biochemistry is also CRAZY complex, and we know very little at the end of the day. Psychiatry is still young and evolving. At current, we simply don't know how to expertly solve problems on the medication front, and we won't until we know the biological root of these disorders.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes N/A, prplchknz liked this post

  7. #87
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    You admit to being a troll then. Explain? Your post was rooted in metaphysical bullshit and devoid of any facts whatsoever; you know this and post with the intent to antagonize and take advantage of the mentally ill who may be looking for advice in this thread. In sum, you are projecting. You are the one attempting 'sadistic funnyups'.
    The post was in reply to me. I don't feel antagonized. I agree that the psychology profession is a march of idiocy and that I was actually the one being manipulated and lied to. But thanks for butting in.

  8. #88
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    moved some posts to off topic... I'm assuming that everyone can guess why... if not, go read off topic
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  9. #89
    Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp
    Posts
    3,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    The post was in reply to me. I don't feel antagonized. I agree that the psychology profession is a march of idiocy and that I was actually the one being manipulated and lied to. But thanks for butting in.
    It's not that I take issue with it being a 'march of idiocy', so much as the poster's characterization of schizophrenia which is blatantly incorrect There is the expectation that someone offering advice in a mental illness thread knows better than to characterize schizophrenia as a spiritual issue. We don't live in the era of Sigmund Freud anymore.



    That said, there are a lot of incompetent people in the field and there is SO much we still do not know.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

    "I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

    ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?


    Johari Nohari

    https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

  10. #90
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    It's not that I take issue with it being a 'march of idiocy', so much as the poster's characterization of schizophrenia which is blatantly incorrect...
    How in the world would you know? What are you making this claim based off of? He just said it's a spiritual crisis. That's literally what schizophrenia is seen as in some cultures. And I don't understand why Legion's inital post was moved to off topic. It has everything to do with the topic at hand. Or are you not allowed to say negative things about the psychiatry profession on this site?

    Sometimes negative things need to and should be said. Otherwise you're censoring reality.
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. In general what are your thoughts on mental illness?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 04:37 AM
  3. [E7] Your Experience with 7w6s
    By theplacesyoullgo in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 07:28 PM
  4. What are your experiences with getting psychotherapy?
    By Economica in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO