User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 146

  1. #71
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,130

    Default

    I have bipolar, ADHD and as my medical things say anxiety (which is pretty fucking vague)

    I've been pretty leery posting anything about the bipolar thing on the forum because I really don't trust that someone won't decide to use that against me at some point because that's what people do and it sucks when you've put a lot of effort into being "sane" and someone still decides to use something that you really can't help as an argument as to why you're wrong or why you can't be trusted to do something

    I was actually off all of my meds for years... didn't have insurance that'd pay for them and didn't feel that I needed them (typical type of behavior really) and put a lot of effort into staying ok with more or less success, but that kind of failed late this summer/early fall and I put a lot of effort into keeping the fact that I was crashing off of here and away from work and really away from everyone because it wasn't anyone else's fault... and have been trying to get my meds adjusted right since then, because it's all a fun experiment. Psych meds are more a throw the spaghetti at the wall thing than a definite "this will work" sort of thing

    so yeah... that's about it. I keep it off of here, out of work and away from the man because it's not anyone else's fault, but I do have my own issues.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes prplchknz, themightyfetus liked this post

  2. #72
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm bumping this thread because i want to hear about more people's experiences.
    What sort of things are you looking to hear? Not trying to be malicious or anything, just wondering. After all, the latest responses in this thread weren't that old.

  3. #73
    alchemist Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,862

    Default

    Yeah I had a few,
    A million ot wro
    Sayin up til then
    The righting of the end
    Change the stars of blind
    Stranger Scenes of Mind

    How can one so very well
    Be the one of frozen shell



  4. #74
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by /DG/ View Post
    What sort of things are you looking to hear? Not trying to be malicious or anything, just wondering. After all, the latest responses in this thread weren't that old.
    curiousity.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  5. #75
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    I posted in this thread a while ago with all the diagnoses I've been given in my entire life, which feels awkward. It turns out I really just have (and always have had) only PTSD and dissociation. None of the other stuff.
    Likes prplchknz, JAVO liked this post

  6. #76
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    OCPD, which well actually I guess is a personality disorder and not a mental disorder since it differs from OCD.
    "Mild to severe" depression. Runs in my family, both sides, so it wasn't surprising that it developed in both me and my sister as well. I've been functioning okay with it though. No one I meet (in person at least, probably online as well) would ever guess it unless I mentioned it otherwise because I come off as such a cheerful person. I don't like to bother other people with my problems, so I'm good at hiding it and "shoving it to the side" until I get home and can deal with it privately. Most of the time I'm okay, but when I get overwhelmed with stress or anxiety it can get really out of hand.
    one of my best friends has that, it makes going on vacation with her interesting because she has to have everything planned and for me vacation is like you don't have plans you wake up and do whatever you feel like that day. drove me nuts by the end and needed a week break from her. I dunno if that's because of OCDpd or the fact she's an ESFJ or a combination of the two.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes yama liked this post

  7. #77
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I posted in this thread a while ago with all the diagnoses I've been given in my entire life, which feels awkward. It turns out I really just have (and always have had) only PTSD and dissociation. None of the other stuff.
    I wonder if this common, for people who doctors don't really know so they diagnose them with all the disorders and over time they wittle down the list. just a thought i dunno i'm not a psychiatrist and i can not read their minds so i can't say for sure if this is the case.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  8. #78
    eye of the storm magpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I wonder if this common, for people who doctors don't really know so they diagnose them with all the disorders and over time they wittle down the list. just a thought i dunno i'm not a psychiatrist and i can not read their minds so i can't say for sure if this is the case.
    I don't know, I think it probably is pretty common to be diagnosed with tons of stuff regardless of accuracy. I feel like the more you pick up, the less likely they are to be accurate, since how can you have 11 or 12 conflicting diagnoses at once?

    I figured I just had PTSD for quite a while before it was confirmed by my therapist. I went in and told her the first time I saw her and she agreed. If she hadn't, I don't think I would've seen her, because I know my life and what's going on inside my head. No one else does. So I know what I do and don't have, even though when I was speculating about PTSD I felt really uncomfortable giving myself that label, because I wasn't sure what happened was bad enough. She also said that I'd had Acute Stress Disorder when I was younger, as opposed to the other things I was diagnosed with. I think it's a disservice to diagnose me with so many things I don't have, because then people assume I'm an archetype of what I've been diagnosed with, which is unfair to both people who actually have the diagnosis and me.

    Also, I don't know if my list would've been wittled down if I'd stayed with the same psychologists and psychiatrists who gave me the list in the first place. Because they were really dead set on their list regardless of me. And we never talked about my past, so I'm not sure it would've ever gotten around to PTSD or Acute Stress Disorder, since they're both trauma based.

  9. #79
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I don't know, I think it probably is pretty common to be diagnosed with tons of stuff regardless of accuracy. I feel like the more you pick up, the less likely they are to be accurate, since how can you have 11 or 12 conflicting diagnoses at once?

    I figured I just had PTSD for quite a while before it was confirmed by my therapist. I went in and told her the first time I saw her and she agreed. If she hadn't, I don't think I would've seen her, because I know my life and what's going on inside my head. No one else does. So I know what I do and don't have, even though when I was speculating about PTSD I felt really uncomfortable giving myself that label, because I wasn't sure what happened was bad enough. She also said that I'd had Acute Stress Disorder when I was younger, as opposed to the other things I was diagnosed with. I think it's a disservice to diagnose me with so many things I don't have, because then people assume I'm an archetype of what I've been diagnosed with, which is unfair to both people who actually have the diagnosis and me.

    Also, I don't know if my list would've been wittled down if I'd stayed with the same psychologists and psychiatrists who gave me the list in the first place. Because they were really dead set on their list regardless of me. And we never talked about my past, so I'm not sure it would've ever gotten around to PTSD or Acute Stress Disorder, since they're both trauma based.
    I agree, just like when people claim they have something they don't is also a disservice. I think therapist always ask me if i have any overt trauma and i don't.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes magpie liked this post

  10. #80
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    I don't know, I think it probably is pretty common to be diagnosed with tons of stuff regardless of accuracy. I feel like the more you pick up, the less likely they are to be accurate, since how can you have 11 or 12 conflicting diagnoses at once?
    I wonder how common over-diagnosing mental illness is. After all, no one is going to feel good 100% of the time. I'll find that in some of the things I post online, laypeople tend to jump to a diagnosis like depression or whatever, but that isn't necessarily me. I don't really have problems functioning in society, so I don't see myself as having any sort of clinical disorder. Does it do more harm than good to over-diagnose? Is it better to over-diagnose than under-diagnose? Etc. I'm no psychologist, so I can't say much on the matter.

    Either way, I don't want to say that I'm glad you have PTSD, but I'm glad that you eventually figured out what it is if that makes sense.
    Likes magpie, prplchknz liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. In general what are your thoughts on mental illness?
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 04:37 AM
  3. [E7] Your Experience with 7w6s
    By theplacesyoullgo in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 07:28 PM
  4. What are your experiences with getting psychotherapy?
    By Economica in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO