User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by themightyfetus View Post
    People who live with a mental illness can attest to the fact that it is very real and often debilitating.
    Of course. Though I hold a bias, since i think many of the old notions still persist.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

I've been diagnosed with

ADHD
    Somatization Disorder
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder
    Social Anxiety Disorder
    Panic Disorder
    Social Phobia
    Anorexia
    Bulemia
    Eating Disorder NOS
    Major Depressive Disorder
    Borderline Personality Disorder

I think that's it, unless I was ever diagnosed with something without my knowledge, which is a real possibility.

I've not been diagnosed with

PTSD
    CPTSD

but I think I probably have one of those two things with psychogenic amnesia and maybe a bit of catatonia, if we're just talking about mental illnesses.

I like that it's ironic.
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

When I moved to Canada years ago as a child I developed SAD, which is a given considering it's always cold and gloomy here. In my teens I had major depression but after my hormones calmed down, it's now categorized as dysthymia for which I'm not even medicated anymore (yay!).

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

^ I have a bit of SAD too. I've found ways of coping with it -- including waking up to a DIY light alarm clock every morning, and getting outside when it's light out, as much as I can. Hopefully this will continue as the winter gets darker and darker.

I was depressed for 4 months during my senior year of college -- diagnosed as "adjustment disorder with depressed mood", or "situational depression". I could still function, mostly, but my academic work was terrible (thank god for grade inflation! I didn't work hard enough for those As and Bs), I missed a lot of classes, and I became obsessed with self-punishment, both mental and physical. Thinking about it is still kind of triggering and upsetting, three years later.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I recently got a check-up to confirm some of my own suspicions. While the analysis is ongoing, the preliminary results were:

- Some form of Anxiety Disorder
    - Indication of a severe Depression throughout my 20s - with remaining effects lingering still.
    - Eating Disorder

I honestly have been figuring this out and working through those things most of my life on my own (for various reasons, it wasn't an option to get help, so I had to). It looks like I'm nearing the end of a very, very long and exhausting tunnel though and I did these sessions really just to check I'm on the right track, get the validation I need to move on and ask for any possible short cuts coz I'm seriously tired of this bullshit already. I'd like my life back.

I actually specifically asked about Narcissism as I was terrified that my dad passed that one on to me, but those results were negative, thankfully.

So far my own brand of self-reflection without need for medication is doing the trick, as is the recent addition of having someone to soundboard off and mirror back, to speed things up a bit and get a better oversight of what I still have to tackle. It's hard to be patient and give the process its due time, though, and a lot more work than I ever fathomed.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I'm sorry for all of you guys..
    I haven't been diagnosed with any mental illnesses, but my son have ASD
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

“sometimes... confused people are funnier, nicer, and more open-minded than non-confused people.” labyrinthine

6w7 > 1w2 > 4w3

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I've blogged about it before in detail, but I have generalised anxiety with OCD (dermatillomania which started when I was a kid and repetitive/compulsive/counting behaviours but was never formally diagnosed because it doesn't interfere with my life). This, together with life events, pushed me into a deep clinical depression. I'm also schizoid but don't view that as an illness anymore.

I was suicidal, took various medications for 3 years, have been off them (and stable) for the last 2 years, and self-monitor constantly for a relapse. To maintain balance I exercise, practice mindfulness and eat healthily. Some think that I have an eating disorder because I'm pretty rigid about diet, but I am aware that the OCD could take over so I make rules to stop myself from counting calories and regularly schedule meals where I must eat "off-plan" (in good portions). I also am careful not to classify foods in moral terms. Awareness about my condition helps me to head off such tendencies.

Mental illness is very debilitating. It has nothing to do with willpower or strength, and the stigma is so damaging. I don't advocate for/against medication - everyone is different, and I can say that in my case in particular, it stabilised me enough so that I could work out some issues without hurting myself. I wouldn't be alive without them, but I never wanted to be on them long-term. That is why I opened myself to therapy, committed to learn coping skills, and tapered myself off at the least stressful time in my life. Others may need to take meds long-term - people with a stronger biological susceptibility, maybe. I might need them again in the future as well, I'm not ruling out that possibility. Thinking "I'm never going back on them again" might prevent me from seeking help if/when I need it.

Personally, it's very much a day-by-day thing. With CBT I learned to recognise unproductive patterns of thought, and question them, as well as how to take a step back and question my thoughts in an objective fashion. Depression lies. Anxiety lies. The feelings are very real, but what our thoughts tell us are often not true, or productive for our lives. Thought processes are habits, and we can only break old habits by building new ones that serve us better. Acting to prevent self-perpetuating cycles of traumatic thought patterns is key.

I'm pretty happy/stable right now, and feel like I'm coping - though I would avoid thinking that I'm "cured" because complacency is asking for trouble. Few who meet me offline would be able to tell that I'm dealing with mental illness, unless they know what to look for. I'm also aware that statistically, people who have had 1 major depressive episode are more likely to have another, and that multiple recurrences becomes very likely after the 2nd episode. This is why I prioritise keeping myself stable and healthy above everything else.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes EJCC, SD45T-2, Lethe liked this post

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

My therapist says I have PTSD, which may to true. In childhood my brother verbal and emotional abused me. I also was verbally and emotionally abused by my wife for years during the worst of her trauma related mental illness. I am codependent from childhood emotional neglect from my parents. I also have struggled with depression for 30 years. CBT has really helped me see myself better and grow as a person.

My three adopted sons were drug exposed during pregnancy. The oldest two are ASD, ADHD, and additionally are diagnosed with Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder. One son is also likely schizophrenic. Both birth moms were also bipolar. One son was inpatient after a severe episode, hearing voices telling him to attack young children, the other has tried to kill himself several times, as well as being violent towards children and adults. Third son also was inpatient after an extreme episode.

My wife has PTSD and/or borderline personality disorder, untreated. She refuses therapy and can't admit her problems. She also had post partum depression.

My mom is bipolar. My sister is bipolar. My mom's mother was most likely bipolar and committed suicide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingforPeace View Post
    My therapist says I have PTSD, which may to true. In childhood my brother verbal and emotional abused me. I also was verbally and emotionally abused by my wife for years during the worst of her trauma related mental illness. I am codependent from childhood emotional neglect from my parents. I also have struggled with depression for 30 years. CBT has really helped me see myself better and grow as a person.

My three adopted sons were drug exposed during pregnancy. The oldest two are ASD, ADHD, and additionally are diagnosed with Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder. One son is also likely schizophrenic. Both birth moms were also bipolar. One son was inpatient after a severe episode, hearing voices telling him to attack young children, the other has tried to kill himself several times, as well as being violent towards children and adults. Third son also was inpatient after an extreme episode.

My wife has PTSD and/or borderline personality disorder, untreated. She refuses therapy and can't admit her problems. She also had post partum depression.

My mom is bipolar. My sister is bipolar. My mom's mother was most likely bipolar and committed suicide.

Thats a list alright. It's a different thing being in a state of unending trauma/crisis. The constant need to find refuge and safety, the everlasting struggle to protect the ones you love. It's an emotional war zone. Dodging the bullets and seeing the day through are sometimes all you can focus on huh.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Thats a list alright. It's a different thing being in a state of unending trauma/crisis. The constant need to find refuge and safety, the everlasting struggle to protect the ones you love. It's an emotional war zone. Dodging the bullets and seeing the day through are sometimes all you can focus on huh.
    There were many times this year that I would have several family members having episodes, one after the other, and I would have the adrenaline pumping from the previous one, when suddenly here came the next. Each one impacted me greatly. It impacts less now because I have worked very hard. I still get triggered by the chaos at times and then it sucks, because then I need to get away to find some peace inside. I don't always succeed, unfortunately..... But I am doing better, especially not being triggered by their episodes. Meditation has been very helpful, as has been therapy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984