First 123412 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    gvf
    Socionics
    gfxd Ni

I've had an experience with a man with dementia or something of the like. He was threatening his caregivers, cussing me, flailing around violently in his wheelchair. Not cool. Thankfully he was dead of natural causes less than a week later.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I don't know if this qualifies as mental illness, so much as a phobia, but I have anxiety when it comes to crowds. I'm okay with small to medium groups, but crowds are another story. My heart starts pounding and my throat closes up, and I want to scream/cry/start punching people indiscriminately. Rock concerts are my personal hell, which is unfortunate, because I love listening to live music. Guess I'll have to settle for concert DVDs.

Crowded airplanes really suck, too. And theme parks. God, I wish I could go to a completely empty Six Flags.

MBTI
    FREE

Social Anxiety Disorder, but it's cool as long as I stay locked in my room alone. I don't struggle that much with physical symptoms (I do, but other people have it a lot worse than I). Anxiety even led me to suicidal ideation but it never gave me nausea, sleep problems or panic attacks. My nervous system is awesome. Makes it harder to diagnose stuff, but easier to live in denial (it also makes me look retarded when I can't make eye contact or speak decently while moving nervously my hands and arms but not showing any other anxiety symptom).

About the stigma, it's a weird matter. Where I live, claiming to have a mental disorder is the new wearing shoes that light up when you walk, and what makes it really funny (and depressing) is that 99% of the people here don't know shit about psychiatry, and a lot of those who do have mental disorders (usually teens, usually mood disorders) and take meds are all like "oooh, look at me, I take meds, omg I'm such a lost cause, omg yeah but look at me and be sympathetic cuz I'm special". So, going back on topic, my experience with mental illness is: I'm surrounded by idiotic hormonal teens with histrionic pd and/or factitious disorder and this brings out my repressed hatred for what causes my anxiety (people) which should stay hidden at least until throwing rocks at people becomes legal.
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    And theme parks. God, I wish I could go to a completely empty Six Flags.
    BadOctopusland?
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Stream View Post
    I've had an experience with a man with dementia or something of the like. He was threatening his caregivers, cussing me, flailing around violently in his wheelchair. Not cool. Thankfully he was dead of natural causes less than a week later.
    Please stop talking. Just...stop.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes themightyfetus, jcloudz, geedoenfj liked this post

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've had severe depression. I was actually diagnosed with bipolar disorder but that was an error looking at my normal mode of being contrasting so wildly with depressed self. It was the depression that was the real problem. At one point, I did nothing for a decade except sit in my bedroom. I had ECT treatments as a last resort...it helped but didn't last long. I've been in the hospital for suicide attempts.

Now it's not as bad as it used to be. It's still bad and I still often feel 'attacks' of intense despair but my life is different now that allows me better ways of coping than I had back then. I'm so different from then...I almost find it hard to believe that those things happened. I don't take any medication for it but the medicine I take for migraine prevention seems to help me (yes...I know that points toward bipolar disorder being an accurate dx...I still say no).
    Likes themightyfetus liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

i don't really believe in it. i think it's the most insidious of medical branches, but then they reckon atheism and drinking at university, or taking drugs are "wrong", but meh...
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by danseen View Post
    i don't really believe in it. i think it's the most insidious of medical branches, but then they reckon atheism and drinking at university, or taking drugs are "wrong", but meh...
    People who live with a mental illness can attest to the fact that it is very real and often debilitating.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1
    Likes Lia_kat liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Ummm yep still all I have is the old add diagnosis... Oh and there was a note of mild dyslexia apparently with it but I dont think that that really counts as a mental illness. I think that doctors at times can be way too quick to diagnose. Not that mental illness isnt real, but alot of the time it is just someone having a character trait that is heightoned a bit compared to the normal population and doctors wanting to play off of that and claim it as a disease.
    Likes yama liked this post

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Ummm yep still all I have is the old add diagnosis... Oh and there was a note of mild dyslexia apparently with it but I dont think that that really counts as a mental illness. I think that doctors at times can be way too quick to diagnose. Not that mental illness isnt real, but alot of the time it is just someone having a character trait that is heightoned a bit compared to the normal population and doctors wanting to play off of that and claim it as a disease.
    Yes, I would agree with you that sometimes one's personality is diagnosed as a mental illness. There is the problem of overdiagnosis. A mental illness causes clinical distress or impairment in functioning though. If it's not causing impairment then most likely it's not a problem.
    I don't think it's that the doctors want to play it off, necessarily. Most doctors really are adhering the Hippocratic oath and want to help their patients--but the mistake of diagnosing someone with an illness they don't have happens. Misdiagnosis, or diagnosing an existing illness as something else, also happens--especially with bipolar; many don't show (hypo)manic symptoms until after their first depression.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1