User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

I'm going to post this in a thread again on the off chance that someone finds it enlightening. Because this stuff is so uncommon that the UN wrote a report on torture in health care settings.

http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBod...53_English.pdf

Here's the summary:

Summary
    The present report focuses on certain forms of abuses in health-care settings that
    may cross a threshold of mistreatment that is tantamount to torture or cruel, inhuman or
    degrading treatment or punishment. It identifies the policies that promote these practices
    and existing protection gaps.
    By illustrating some of these abusive practices in health-care settings, the report
    sheds light on often undetected forms of abusive practices that occur under the auspices of
    health-care policies, and emphasizes how certain treatments run afoul of the prohibition on
    torture and ill-treatment. It identifies the scope of State‟s obligations to regulate, control
    and supervise health-care practices with a view to preventing mistreatment under any
    pretext.
    The Special Rapporteur examines a number of the abusive practices commonly
    reported
    in health-care settings and describes how the torture and ill-treatment framework
    applies in this context. The examples of torture and ill-treatment in health settings
    discussed likely represent a small fraction of this global problem.

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Medication has helped me immensely. I believe Lamictal has been a true miracle for me. I'm also on Seroquel, which was prescribed to curb the mania, and I think it's helped me from becoming depressed, too. But Lamictal...it's a wonderful maintenance drug. I had a very bad mixed episode in July 2014. But once the Lamictal dose got high enough, it finally stopped. Since then, I have had no issues with my bipolar disorder.

I'm very grateful I was diagnosed early...it developed when I was 13, maybe younger. First received psychiatric help when I was 14, after being sent to the psych ward for severe depression and suicidal intent. Misdiagnosed with depression. Only a few months later I was diagnosed with bipolar. Many people don't receive the proper diagnosis, let alone treatment, for years. I'm lucky.

I still have issues with anxiety. I took Klonopin back when I was 14, but I don't need that anymore. I manage anxiety with therapy (I see a therapist every week) and coping skills.

I'm doing well.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1
    Likes Hard, miss fortune, geedoenfj liked this post

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm gonna play half the devils advocate here because i agree with you that most of the times meds aren't needed. I was one of those people who had their basic needs met and did not really start feeling relief until i was prescribed the rights med, and it wasn't over night that i magically got better from taking them. just they stablized me enough so that what you're talking about could help. I agree i do best if i eat regularly, sleep enough, stay hydrated, and socialize just normal socialization, then if i take my meds and do none of that. so that stuff is important, but sometimes meds are simply needed,i'm not proud to be on them, in fact i often feel shame for having to take them. but if i dont take my meds and keep doing that i might be ok for a little while but every time i do that something breaks and i have to go back on meds,
    Yeah I addressed that in my last paragraph. It wasn't an attack on people taking meds who it does work for and who do need them. I thought it was pretty clear but maybe not.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"
    Likes magpie, prplchknz liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

as far as meds go, that's been a crapshoot for me :/ <- sometimes this is the only smiley that is sufficient

the ones I was on in college made me feel dead inside so I quit taking them and went without for years... then they mistakenly put me on antidepressants because my records were lost and who am I to argue with the doctor when saying "I'm actually bipolar" sounds like a self diagnosis with no records to back me up? I was a mess on antidepressants (the wrong drug) to the point where I don't remember half of November or any of December... no Christmas, no Finals... nothing... and I still didn't sleep

finally they realized what was going on and took me off of the antidepressants and put me on mood stabilizers instead which have been great except that I kept getting memory gaps on one of them and have had to switch it up recently because I work in a dangerous environment and can't deal with having blank periods in my mind for safety reasons... so now trying out a new drug and hoping that this one works!

so yeah, meds do help... I am significantly more stable than I was before taking them anymore... it's just finding the one with the most tolerable side effects that works well with you as far as working goes. And having the wrong meds can just make things a shit ton worse (from what I do remember of December, I spent a lot of time pondering driving into the river just because I couldn't turn off, which is a very bad thing)... Psych medicating is NOT a precise science, even for those who need to be medicated and there is a lot that can go wrong with medicating someone incorrectly, but there's a lot that can go right once you get the right mix.

I really see no point in medicating someone who doesn't really need it because the side effects can be a real bitch
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    as far as meds go, that's been a crapshoot for me :/ <- sometimes this is the only smiley that is sufficient

the ones I was on in college made me feel dead inside so I quit taking them and went without for years... then they mistakenly put me on antidepressants because my records were lost and who am I to argue with the doctor when saying "I'm actually bipolar" sounds like a self diagnosis with no records to back me up? I was a mess on antidepressants (the wrong drug) to the point where I don't remember half of November or any of December... no Christmas, no Finals... nothing... and I still didn't sleep

finally they realized what was going on and took me off of the antidepressants and put me on mood stabilizers instead which have been great except that I kept getting memory gaps on one of them and have had to switch it up recently because I work in a dangerous environment and can't deal with having blank periods in my mind for safety reasons... so now trying out a new drug and hoping that this one works!

so yeah, meds do help... I am significantly more stable than I was before taking them anymore... it's just finding the one with the most tolerable side effects that works well with you as far as working goes. And having the wrong meds can just make things a shit ton worse (from what I do remember of December, I spent a lot of time pondering driving into the river just because I couldn't turn off, which is a very bad thing)... Psych medicating is NOT a precise science, even for those who need to be medicated and there is a lot that can go wrong with medicating someone incorrectly, but there's a lot that can go right once you get the right mix.

I really see no point in medicating someone who doesn't really need it because the side effects can be a real bitch
    I agree, though my side effects have usually been minimal, its more of for me how well they work i usually end up on pretty high doses well not super high but i tend to do ok on them. I've been lucky that over all the meds i've been on have not given me lots of side effects. the worse was lithium and that made me shake like crazy, people thought i was withdrawing from alcohol on it even though i shook even when i wasn't drinking regularly during that time and after alcohol would be out of my system, funny how the shaking stopped once they switched me to lamictal.

Another one was wellbutrin it made me crazy i ended up in the psych ward for 3 days because it made me very suicidal. that was how i got switched to mood stabilizers that and most anti-depressants didn't do shit for me.

I was on a low dose of antispychotic before i got my diagnosis because back then they thought the only thing i had was depression it wasn't until someone asked me if i heard voices (I don't know what made my therapist ask it) and i answered honestly did i start on much higher doses. so antipsychotics can be used in treatment resistant depression. The thing with psychosis or my experience with it is you really don't want to tell anyone that might be related especially not a therapist because there's this fear of having to go to the psych ward or people thinking you're nuts.

I do talk about it on my blog here but real life i never mention it. and if something might be related or even if it isn't and i know people are gonna say its because of that i won't mention it, except maybe to my therapist or psychiatrist. I don't exactly hide it either if someone asks me a question that is related i'll probably tell the person if i like them well enough, or if i don't i say its a long story.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes miss fortune, Hard liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@prplchknz

it's annoying how the meds aren't one size fits all and how the side effects can hit one person badly and leave others alone... I know lamictal works great for a lot of people and I'm jealous of that because in the realm of mood stabilizing it did work great and I loved that... it was just the mental blackouts in a way that really bothered me... I'd suddenly be doing something and had no clue why I was and what had happened and that's dangerous as fuck because I wouldn't always be doing something safe I had to switch to something else just because I work around a bunch of large and dangerous machines

but yeah... most of what I mention is in my blog where I feel safe... work knows (a few people who won't talk) just because people got curious and kept guessing after I turned in my heavy equipment license after driving into an unsecured truck with no clue why, but in general I see no point in mentioning it because it's none of anyone's damned business. I know that it's something I'd be judged for and not viewed the same in most places (my department at work is actually the island of misfit toys where everyone has some psych issues so surprisingly I was actually kind of comfortable with admitting to it there because we'd all be stigmatized if anyone knew) and I don't care to be viewed either with caution or pity really when I'm perfectly competent and have yet to murder anyone
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

@prplchknz

it's annoying how the meds aren't one size fits all and how the side effects can hit one person badly and leave others alone... I know lamictal works great for a lot of people and I'm jealous of that because in the realm of mood stabilizing it did work great and I loved that... it was just the mental blackouts in a way that really bothered me... I'd suddenly be doing something and had no clue why I was and what had happened and that's dangerous as fuck because I wouldn't always be doing something safe I had to switch to something else just because I work around a bunch of large and dangerous machines

but yeah... most of what I mention is in my blog where I feel safe... work knows (a few people who won't talk) just because people got curious and kept guessing after I turned in my heavy equipment license after driving into an unsecured truck with no clue why, but in general I see no point in mentioning it because it's none of anyone's damned business. I know that it's something I'd be judged for and not viewed the same in most places (my department at work is actually the island of misfit toys where everyone has some psych issues so surprisingly I was actually kind of comfortable with admitting to it there because we'd all be stigmatized if anyone knew) and I don't care to be viewed either with caution or pity really when I'm perfectly competent and have yet to murder anyone
    yeah mental blackouts are a big deal, it's not like oh it makes me nauseas which if i skip a dose of one my meds i get like throwing up is not a big of a deal as forgetting shit. at least i remember puking.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Likes miss fortune liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah mental blackouts are a big deal, it's not like oh it makes me nauseas which if i skip a dose of one my meds i get like throwing up is not a big of a deal as forgetting shit. at least i remember puking.
    yeah, some side effects can be handled with other drugs (which sucks because it's like "here's the never ending parade of drugs to take care of the side effect of the previous drugs... like the old lady who swallowed a fly!") like the drug induced narcolepsy that I have going on (dear god I'm a fucking mess!) and some can just be dealt with... but yeah... blackouts are scary and one of the main reasons I quit drinking

MBTI
    yupp

yeah, some side effects can be handled with other drugs (which sucks because it's like "here's the never ending parade of drugs to take care of the side effect of the previous drugs... like the old lady who swallowed a fly!") like the drug induced narcolepsy that I have going on (dear god I'm a fucking mess!) and some can just be dealt with... but yeah... blackouts are scary and one of the main reasons I quit drinking
    I know an old lady who swallowed a fly,
    I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
    I guess she'll die.

i'm very much like to my doctors i don't want a ton of drugs and i want the lowest doses possible which they've listened to me, I might have to go up on lamictal because of some personal stuff going on, but i don't want to.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Likes miss fortune liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I know an old lady who swallowed a fly,
    I don't know why she swallowed the fly,
    I guess she'll die.

i'm very much like to my doctors i don't want a ton of drugs and i want the lowest doses possible which they've listened to me, I might have to go up on lamictal because of some personal stuff going on, but i don't want to.
    yeah, I'm just happy that my doctors are willing to listen to me and take my feedback and suggestions too... as they've said, the perfect set of meds will make you feel better so that you WANT to continue taking them. I'm trying to keep things as low as possible while being effective because they don't know the long term effects of most of these things