User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    It's not that I take issue with it being a 'march of idiocy', so much as the poster's characterization of schizophrenia which is blatantly incorrect...
    I think they're paraphrasing Jung, or perhaps AA, or maybe RD Laying (spelling), but they've not understood it or they dont care because if they did they'd have known that for psychologists the word spiritual is used, usually, in a sense that doesnt accept the whole materialist vs. idealist/meta-physicist dichotomy.

Fromm, Horney, Sullivan, ie the neo-Freudians, and Adler if you could consider him a neo-Freudian, to my knowledge, all believed that talking about psychological causes, conflicts, psychodynamics was generally in contrast to psychiatric "organicism", ie body chemistry, brain chemistry, brain lesions or abnormal neurology etc. as the explanations for behaviour.

Anyway, I think that's all a digression, you were right with the suspicion that it was trolling. Maybe they realised their mistake and arent fit to backpeddle and retract at this stage but I doubt that.

I always regret getting involved in these threads because people don't want to acknowledge anything outside their own entirely limited worldview.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by hel View Post
    How in the world would you know? What are you making this claim based off of? He just said it's a spiritual crisis. That's literally what schizophrenia is seen as in some cultures. And I don't understand why Legion's inital post was moved to off topic. It has everything to do with the topic at hand. Or are you not allowed to say negative things about the psychiatry profession on this site?

Sometimes negative things need to and should be said. Otherwise you're censoring reality.
    This sites had it with adolescents spamming their authority issues with their therapists I'd say.

No matter how many accounts they create in the search for props from like minded kids.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

How in the world would you know? What are you making this claim based off of? He just said it's a spiritual crisis. That's literally what schizophrenia is seen as in some cultures.
    Your argument here is essentially 'research and evidence be damned, if some culture sees it this way it's a valid outlook'. Is that really the precedent and level of expectations you wish to set for the mental health profession? Not that it matters, because both of our posts will be put in the off topic thread because apparently accuracy is less important than being nice. Of course, that takes us right back to your worldview of 'if some people see it that way, it's perfectly valid'. And that takes us to why many people think this forum is slowly going downhill...

But hey, I'm just a guy using research and formal education to help others. I don't actually know anything.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This sites had it with adolescents spamming their authority issues with their therapists I'd say.

No matter how many accounts they create in the search for props from like minded kids.
    Are you a therapist? I hope not. You seem paranoid. And you see any type of disagreement as an "authority issue."

Your argument here is essentially 'research and evidence be damned, if some culture sees it this way it's a valid outlook'. Is that really the precedent and level of expectations you wish to set for the mental health profession? Not that it matters, because both of our posts will be put in the off topic thread because apparently accuracy is less important than being nice. Of course, that takes us right back to your worldview of 'if some people see it that way, it's perfectly valid'.
    What you view as accuracy isn't accurate. We all know that no one knews how mental illness works biologically, nor do we ever know if meds are going to work. Because we just don't know when it comes to mental illness. There's a ton of mystery. And I'm not being nice, I'm saying that the post that was made in reply to me was a post I agree with and find useful.

Also, I expect a lot more from the mental health profession than it's ever given. Improve first and then talk to me about my expectations.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Sometimes negative things need to and should be said. Otherwise you're censoring reality.
    If categorizing schizophrenia as a spiritual crisis isn't censoring reality, I don't know what is.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it was moved because it was off topic, not because of some sinister motives... and it started an even more off topic spat

this spat has been revived apparently

thanks guys
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

If categorizing schizophrenia as a spiritual crisis isn't censoring reality, I don't know what is.
    The part that acknowledged I was manipulated and lied to shouldn't have been moved. I don't give a shit about opinions on schizophrenia.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

What you view as accuracy isn't accurate. We all know that no one knews how mental illness works biologically, nor do we ever know if meds are going to work. Because we just don't know when it comes to mental illness. There's a ton of mystery. And I'm not being nice, I'm saying that the post that was made in reply to me was a post I agree with and find useful.

Also, I expect a lot more from the mental health profession than it's ever given. Improve first and then talk to me about my expectations.
    I'm going to get involved here for a moment and make a distinction. This is just as unfairly painting things in a negative light as would an unfairly positive light.

Yes, we do not know fully how mental illness works on a biological level, and yes we don't know fully if medication will work. However, we do know enough to make useful diganosis in a number of individuals, and solve problems with medications. Medications wouldn't be used if they didn't solve problems.

You're not wrong, but you're not fully right here.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari