Thread: Sociopathy

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Default Sociopathy

What is sociopathy? How would you define it? Would you describe it as calculation? Would you describe it as a lack of emotions? Would you consider it to be a lack of concern for others?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Isn't it lack of empathy; which may be a biological issue or caused by external factors?
    Likes Bknight liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by riva View Post
    Isn't it lack of empathy; which may be a biological issue or caused by external factors?
    I think that's part of the definition, but I think people all too often make a mistake of assuming that a rationalistic temperament or mode of expression is the same thing as a lack of empathy. I don't empathize with everyone, but I clearly have empathy.

This article kind of nails this whole thing on the head for me:

Stop Calling Sherlock a Sociopath! Thanks, a Psychologist.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have strong suspicions that a long-time acquaintance of mine might be a sociopath. I've known her most of my life, and although she's very charming and likeable, I get this feeling that there's something off about her. Her emotions seem superficial, even fake. When she smiles at you, there's nothing behind her eyes. It's very unsettling.

She's also impulsive and reckless, and is always causing drama and hurting people, but when she expresses remorse, it's clear that she doesn't mean it. It's like she can't understand the consequences of her actions, particularly how they affect the feelings of others.

I think that's one of the basic definitions of a sociopath: a lack of social awareness. They can emulate a semblance of it, but they don't really understand it.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Sociopathy - extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience and empathy. (Was partly taken from google definitions)

I work in the mental health field and have some experience with teens who were diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder. Now days the mental health community doesn't want to call you a sociopath or a psychopath because of the stigma, so you have antisocial personality disorder instead, but anyways...

The individuals I have met/worked with that fit this description (only 2) really struck me with their lack of empathy. They both had "dead eyes," and that was disturbing, but it was so strange how they did not respond to punishment or most of the time, even from taking away positive things they liked. They responded very well to a system of rewards. In fact, it was my experience that both were very smart and (at ages 14 and 16) had figured out how to "pretend" to have empathy and to care for others, but they truly only cared about themselves and their rewards.

It was a disturbing experience both times. ::shivers::
    "ENFJ- The Diplomat Champion (will take on crusades and WILL kill every last mfr in the room!)" ~Xander

Enneagram: You are a Type 2 with a 3 wing: "The Helper Advocate"

Your trifix is 2w3, 6w5, 1w9.

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    It's like she can't understand the consequences of her actions, particularly how they affect the feelings of others.

I think that's one of the basic definitions of a sociopath: a lack of social awareness. They can emulate a semblance of it, but they don't really understand it.
    This is a big part of why people get away with sociopathic behavior. People actually believe crap like what you just said.

I was sociopathic for a while, and let me tell you, the intent to harm is there. Sociopaths know exactly what their doing, they just don't give a shit.

If you have an atheist belief system and survival of the fittest mentality, why the hell would you give a damn if something "hurts anothers feelings"? From that point of view, its down right stupid to care. It's only beneficial to care about someone if it somehow helps you, every thing is a business situation.

The fact that people justify shit like being a sociopath and being bipolar really pisses me off because it's so f&*&ing moronic.

It's adaptive behavior that people learn that they can get away with.

Be real with yourself. The whole "Poor dear, you can't feel empathy!" crap is the literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Wake up.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeseBurgerKing View Post
    This is a big part of why people get away with sociopathic behavior. People actually believe crap like what you just said.

I was sociopathic for a while, and let me tell you, the intent to harm is there. Sociopaths know exactly what their doing, they just don't give a shit.

If you have an atheist belief system and survival of the fittest mentality, why the hell would you give a damn if something "hurts anothers feelings"? From that point of view, its down right stupid to care. It's only beneficial to care about someone if it somehow helps you, every thing is a business situation.

The fact that people justify shit like being a sociopath and being bipolar really pisses me off because it's so f&*&ing moronic.

Be real with yourself. The whole "Poor dear, you can't feel empathy!" crap is the literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Wake up.
    Wow. If that is literally the dumbest thing you've ever heard, then you haven't lived very long.

I never said I felt sorry for sociopaths, and I would never try to excuse or justify their actions. If anything, I'm extremely wary of them. Their lack of any sense of guilt or accountability over their behavior make them potentially dangerous.

If they truly are aware that what they're doing is morally wrong, and just don't care, then wouldn't the cause ultimately be a lack of a conscience? After all, our conscience is what nags at us and makes us feel guilty when we've done something wrong. And yet, according to most definitions, sociopaths don't experience guilt. Is that why?
    Likes SD45T-2, BluRoses, ESFJ, N/A liked this post

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post

If they truly are aware that what they're doing is morally wrong, and just don't care, then wouldn't the cause ultimately be a lack of a conscience? After all, our conscience is what nags at us and makes us feel guilty when we've done something wrong. And yet, according to most definitions, sociopaths don't experience guilt. Is that why?
    Yes, you could call it a lack of conscience.

They best way for me to explain it is to break it down to the personality of the person who is being "sociopathic".
    I've noticed that Fi users really don't know what the hell is going on when they're being manipulated by a Ti user a lot of times.

If you're really good at using Ti, you're gonna judge everything you do as a benefit or a drawback. If you've created a belief system for yourself that says life is a game and everyone is nothing when they die, then you're genuinely not gonna give a shit how a person receives what you do unless it has a sizable impact on you. As soon as he/she enters a situation in their life, a good Ti user is going size it up, assessing what matters and what doesn't. If I have neighbor, and I want to sleep with his wife, and I see that her husband doesn't seem like he's gonna do something about, why in the heck would I not do it? Do I care if they get divorced? Not if there's no one there to look down on me for it. Hell, I might not even care if they do.
    - A good example of how a sociopathic Ti user would see a situation.

Fi users are totally different because they act on how the perceive one's character. An INTJ is gonna do something "sociopathic" if they have no respect for the people in the situation.

That's why Ti users vs Fi users do sociopathic stuff. Ti users look at how things are gonna play out, Fi users look at if they respect the people they're dealing with.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I had one working for me. He slept with my then/wife, slept with others relations, no moral compass. He later attempted to lock me out of my server based company and alienate me from my core employees.
    That would be my summary. He was so surprised by my dominant hand, it still makes me laugh. He couldn't grasp the control was beyond him. He later attacked me physically, this put him squarely with iq. My thought has been, calling a sociopath to the floor, makes them angry and ill witted. Just my opinion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeseBurgerKing View Post

Wake up.
    1) You are either sociopathic or not, and you can't cure it. You had some immature phase and you grew out of it.

2) We're talking about sociopathy, not atheism.

3) This "everyone is faking mental illness" crap is touted by people who have little or no understanding of what mental illness is. As evidenced by point 1

4) Go do some research from a variety of sources on this subject. Maybe even get to know people who have mental illness. This may make you sound like you know what you're talking about, rather than a bit like an SJW.