User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Sociopathy

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    1) You are either sociopathic or not, and you can't cure it. You had some immature phase and you grew out of it.

2) We're talking about sociopathy, not atheism.

3) This "everyone is faking mental illness" crap is touted by people who have little or no understanding of what mental illness is. As evidenced by point 1

4) Go do some research from a variety of sources on this subject. Maybe even get to know people who have mental illness. This may make you sound like you know what you're talking about, rather than a bit like an SJW.

There are always people in between the spectrum of extreme and minor, those are the people that I'm talking about. I made that pretty clear in what I wrote, but I guess you have no idea how to make a common distinction. They're "bi-polar" because they act grumpy sometimes and then people say "oh they're just bipolar leave them alone". Then they learn that they can get away with it and keep doing it. They're are people who are assholes who never "grow out of it" which is what the person who @BadOctopus sounds like. These people just need to be told to stop being assholes. That's what I'm talking about dude. I made that obvious.

Btw, [bleep], sociopath generally refers to the people that I'm talking about. The really messed up people are usually referred to as psychopaths. Be careful you try to sound clever to buddy, I actually have my facts straight.

I'm not talking about the jeffery dahmers of the world who, i believe, are the outcome of a life of extreme neglection, lack of social attention/social awareness, and maybe some other things which grows into what I myself would classify as mental illness. Those people, obviously, deserve help. I don't know who would say that they don't. But, if you had really paid attention to the point I was getting at, you'd realize that I'm not referring to people like that. Use your head.

If you actually read my entire post... then you would realize that I was addressing the fact that there are a ton of assholes out there who just don't give a fuck and its wrong to act like theres something "clinically" wrong with them. Some (I have to make sure that you realize the difference between some and everyone now) people are just assholes and deserve no sympathy or understanding for the fact that they're assholes. Let me be clear since you obviously have a problem making common distinctions, I'M NOT SAYING THAT PSYCHOPATH KILLERS DONT NEED HELP. I'm saying that people who are total assholes, but have there life together, don't deserve sympathy, they deserve a firm sit down and a fist in the face. Thats enough for a lot of people.

1) How do you know? Oh yeah, you don't.
    2) [bleep] You're real clever behind your computer.
    3) Again, never once did I say "everyone". It sucks that you don't know how to make a simple distinction. I think you have a mental disorder. You need to be treated, there's no other way you can be fixed.
    4) Go [bleep] a [bleep] . I can't stand you know it alls on modern medicine and modern academia's nuts.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 04-09-2015 at 10:57 AM. Reason: edited for content

Enneagram

They have some wires cut emotionally, is all. I feel bad for them, actually.
    Likes BluRoses liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

@TheCheeseBurgerKing Just a warning: Your rage and hostility are disproportionate to the subject matter. Try to calm down and use less hateful speech, or you might find yourself banned.
    Likes BluRoses, Bknight liked this post

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheeseBurgerKing View Post
    I'm saying that people who are total assholes...don't deserve sympathy, they deserve a firm sit down and a fist in the face. Thats enough for a lot of people.
    *firmly sits Cheeseburgerking down. Puts fist in his face*

Was that enough?
    Likes BluRoses, Luke O, Bknight liked this post

Senior Member TheCheeseBurgerKing's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

@Forever_Jung

Lol, no. I'm not the one who needs to be cured, but thank you

I think the other kid needs to be cured of his know-it-all syndrome. Can you cure him?

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    What is sociopathy? How would you define it?
    An ill defined fallacy, in service of calming the observer more then understanding the observed.

How do I know that you are a human being capable of sentient experience, and not just a mechanism structured in a way that results in behaviors that mimic and claim sentience? A "P zombie"? We don't, We each know we are sentient but are incapable of proving it for others.

Sounds familiar? P zombie arguments are nothing new. Religions often attribute sentience to the soul, so it's common in religious wars to claim the other side doesn't have a real soul. During the early days of european trade in african slaves, it was a common argument that black people don't have real sentience and merely resemble self-awareness. When it comes to justifying a lack of empathy, P zombie arguments are an essential tool of the trade, they challenge the qualia, the core experience unique to you, and so can't be proven or disproven.

Now, there are people who do things we have a very hard time feeling empathy towards, a lot of us would deem them unthinkable, we don't want to feel empathy towards them because we can't really put ourselves in their shoes without having to see ourselves in ways we wouldn't want too.

To protect our own sensibilities, we've formed a specialized P zombie argument just for them: "Their emotions are not real, they only think they are real and claim they are to be perceived as normal people. Their attachments & relationships are not real, they've only convinced and deluded themselves otherwise. They fake emotional expression and caring and kindness because it serves them better in society".

While this might be useful to comfort us as the outside observers, it doesn't hold much merit as a well reasoned explanation. We don't really understand it well enough to define it by internal mechanisms. The best we know from neurological studies suggests that they can turn on and off emotional reactions, but as the slavery and crusades and wars and inquisitions and various examples of violent mob behavior have shown, under the right circumstances, so can the rest of us.

P.S.
    Excellent topic btw.

He can go find a room full of academics and catch there dicks in his butt hole. That'd probably make him pretty happy.
    Likes Luke O, Cygnus, Hard, N/A liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

There are always people in between the spectrum of extreme and minor, those are the people that I'm talking about. I made that pretty clear in what I wrote, but I guess you have no idea how to make a common distinction. They're "bi-polar" because they act grumpy sometimes and then people say "oh they're just bipolar leave them alone". Then they learn that they can get away with it and keep doing it. They're are people who are assholes who never "grow out of it" which is what the person who @BadOctopus sounds like. These people just need to be told to stop being assholes. That's what I'm talking about dude. I made that obvious.

Btw, [bleep], sociopath generally refers to the people that I'm talking about. The really messed up people are usually referred to as psychopaths. Be careful you try to sound clever to buddy, I actually have my facts straight.

I'm not talking about the jeffery dahmers of the world who, i believe, are the outcome of a life of extreme neglection, lack of social attention/social awareness, and maybe some other things which grows into what I myself would classify as mental illness. Those people, obviously, deserve help. I don't know who would say that they don't. But, if you had really paid attention to the point I was getting at, you'd realize that I'm not referring to people like that. Use your head.

If you actually read my entire post... then you would realize that I was addressing the fact that there are a ton of assholes out there who just don't give a fuck and its wrong to act like theres something "clinically" wrong with them. Some (I have to make sure that you realize the difference between some and everyone now) people are just assholes and deserve no sympathy or understanding for the fact that they're assholes. Let me be clear since you obviously have a problem making common distinctions, I'M NOT SAYING THAT PSYCHOPATH KILLERS DONT NEED HELP. I'm saying that people who are total assholes, but have there life together, don't deserve sympathy, they deserve a firm sit down and a fist in the face. Thats enough for a lot of people.

1) How do you know? Oh yeah, you don't.
    2) [bleep] You're real clever behind your computer.
    3) Again, never once did I say "everyone". It sucks that you don't know how to make a simple distinction. I think you have a mental disorder. You need to be treated, there's no other way you can be fixed.
    4) Go [bleep] a [bleep] . I can't stand you know it alls on modern medicine and modern academia's nuts.
    Wow. Talk about hitting a nerve here. Wow. Wowee. So much anger. I guess I shouldn't say I was (truthfully) right, and you got angry because you couldn't defend your position very well

I barely know her, but @BadOctopus is so, so far from asshole status. She's smart, knows her stuff and knows how to talk to people. Apparently I'm an asshole too, but I'll leave that up to the good people of this forum to exonerate me (please?).

It is clear that you do have little knowledge of mental illness and judging by ypur childish response, you're still a freshman in the university of life. You have so much to learn, but I feel that getting well educated about people isn't beyond your abilities. Seriously, take advantage of this.

Also, read up on neurology, scientists have found differences in the brain structure of sociopaths/psychopaths. Assholes who were that way because of their upbringing are just assholes, there may be nothing wrong with their amygdalae whatsoever.

Anyway:

1) Yes, I do actually do because I read up about it, and also saw a TV programme about psychopathy.
    2) I am clever, you know. Luke 1 - Cheese 0
    3) Personal insults! Luke 2 - Cheese 0
    4) Are you offering? No thank you. Knowing I'm a know-it-all makes me feel better, but then again I knew that anyway.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 04-09-2015 at 10:58 AM. Reason: edited Quoted comment

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    *firmly sits Cheeseburgerking down. Puts fist in his face*

Was that enough?
    Your hands are covered with mushy cheeseburger...

Ooh, is that a pickle?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I think sociopathy is kind of like a spectrum. Some people are farther down the line than others, and I feel that even as people age they lose a bit of empathy towards others. I have had friends say that anyone who is born without a concience deserves to be immediately locked up/killed, but in my opinion as long as someone is able to function in society and refrain from hurting others then it doesnt really matter if they are sociopathic or not.