User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP

Default Social isolation

Article on social isolation: The loneliness epidemic: We're more connected than ever - but are we feeling more alone? - Features - Health & Families - The Independent

Title: The loneliness epidemic: We're more connected than ever - but are we feeling more alone?

There are the usual warnings about how unhealthy it is to be too isolated:

Modern life is making us lonelier, and recent research indicates that this may be the next biggest public health issue on par with obesity and substance abuse. A recent review of studies indicates that loneliness increases mortality risk by 26%.

[...]

For those that experience loneliness for a long time, research has shown that this impacts on their health in a greater way than smoking 15 cigarettes a day or being obese. Loneliness has also been linked to poor mental health. In a survey by Mental Health Foundation, more than a third of people surveyed had felt depressed as a result of feeling lonely.
    And so on.

The experts blame isolation mostly on decreased mobility. The elderly and teens report the highest levels of loneliness, and they probably have the least mobility.

But the report also looked at people who are lonely due to social anxiety and distrust of others:

In a recent review, researchers found that strategies to reduce loneliness that target negative thought processes were the most successful. So it seems that for some lonely people, reducing social isolation and helping them link up with others reduces loneliness. But those who have been lonely for a number of years will have anxiety about making new friends, they may be distrustful of others and feel low about their own social skills. They need support to change their view of themselves, and how they feel others will react to them.
    Any thoughts on the latter issue (particularly since TypoC's membership probably doesn't include many elderly and teens)?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by YUI View Post
    Article on social isolation: The loneliness epidemic: We're more connected than ever - but are we feeling more alone? - Features - Health & Families - The Independent

Title: The loneliness epidemic: We're more connected than ever - but are we feeling more alone?

There are the usual warnings about how unhealthy it is to be too isolated:

And so on.

The experts blame isolation mostly on decreased mobility. The elderly and teens report the highest levels of loneliness, and they probably have the least mobility.

But the report also looked at people who are lonely due to social anxiety and distrust of others:

Any thoughts on the latter issue (particularly since TypoC's membership probably doesn't include many elderly and teens)?
    This doesn't speak to the exact topic, but is rather apropos. Came across it earlier while doing my regular Walk of Shame through Kinjaverse:

How to Be Alone Without Getting Lonely

What's interesting about the article is that I feel most if not all of the suggestions are as relevant to dealing with loneliness as managing depression. It's worth a look.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    This doesn't speak to the exact topic, but is rather apropos. Came across it earlier while doing my regular Walk of Shame through Kinjaverse:

How to Be Alone Without Getting Lonely

What's interesting about the article is that I feel most if not all of the suggestions are as relevant to dealing with loneliness as managing depression. It's worth a look.
    Definitely apropos. Good article.

After my divorce, I used to do what the article said under "Think About All of the Perks." I would take off on spur-of-the-moment outings just to remind myself that I could now go have fun whenever I wanted.