User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: you and authority

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

Default you and authority

what's your relationship towards authority? in general, in specific, on principle, so on and so forth

(not, however, the authority... I don't care what you think about triple h... really)

do you bristle at the very thought of anyone telling you what to do?

do you quietly do as they say while plotting their downfall?

do you not care?

I'm kind of wondering how other people relate since, after years of being told that I have authority issues, I'm starting to wonder if other people might have a point

how do people get through the day without doing something inappropriate?
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member Array

I had authority issues when I was younger. I was always boisterous and offensive and got in trouble for the stupidest things, reflexively resisting any instruction for the sake of my "independence." The simplest of daily functions became power struggles on a regular basis.

Now I've gotten all withdrawn and quiet and I can't make myself wipe my own nose unless directly commanded to. I'm completely dependent on higher authority at this point. It's terrible.

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ Array laterlazer's Avatar
    592 sp

Depends, if they're just doing their job and doing it properly without overstepping a boundary or trying to control something I don't believe is under their jurisdiction then I don't mind authority. Even if I might have a problem with some rules I can respect their authority on the matter and sulk in silence. It's when I don't think someone has a right to be doing or saying something that I get annoyed and the person becomes nuisance. I do tend to follow a 'respect is earned' philosophy regardless of a person's age or whatever, so in my eyes you don't really have authority until I've decided you do.

After living with strict parents I promised to never let someone tell me what to do or be bound by rules I want no part in besides the legislations I've agreed to follow (such as with school, the law and so forth).

Depends almost entirely on whether or not I respect the authority figure.

Cat Wench Array ReadingRainbows's Avatar
    6w7 sx/sp
    IEI Ni

When people have authority I respect it. When they think they have authority over me and/or make unreasonable requests, I see a large issue and am not compliant. I'm very passive and I'm more likely to just be quietly unhappy and then leave the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

know ⏩ assist ⏩ survive Array Alaska's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp
    ESI Fi

It is my natural orientation to bristle at being told what to do. Some of my earliest memories are of feeling people's orders burn inside me. But I tended to think that it came from something being sideways in me instead of something wrong with the authority. I observed that children were largely judged as good or bad by their willingness to obey and resented that hotly, yet when I was caught ignoring my obligations, felt horrified that my broken compass had been discovered and became vulnerable to the shamer. Other times, I'd bind myself to the rules rigidly but still in a self-absorbed manner that totally missed the point of them, doing it just to spite myself rather than giving any thought to what bigger purpose they might serve outside myself. But I could only do that for so long - it wasn't uncommon that I'd come home from a hard day at school and snap at the first request from a parent.

As an adult, any authority situation I'm in is one I've chosen and agreed to, which is ideal. I choose carefully and prefer those that are as hands-off as possible, and where they're not, have to grit my teeth and remember my commitment - I do not commit to something unless I know I can carry it out to the end. The exception is if an authority misuses their position, I won't bear it for long before I cut ties and choose better. I despise people who misuse power, and if I stick with them, that's as good as supporting them.

I can think of one situation where I regret just walking away, that I didn't do or say something to let them know what practices they did that were wrong. Doubtful it would have made any difference, but that's no excuse. It's been a year since then, and I'm thinking about whether I can still do something to help people in that situation from the outside, that I really ought to.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Twerking & Lurking Array ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    4w3 so/sx

If they're put into authority and don't give me reason to question their position then I can submit to that. i will always naturally respect an individual until they give me reason not to.

Now if someone comes along and doesn't have authority over me but thinks that they do, it really irks me. People seem to think that just because I'm not loud and authoritative that I want to be led. I don't want to lead or follow, just leave alone to my own devices.
    Last edited by ayoitsStepho; 03-23-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.
    Likes Alaska, BadOctopus, gromit liked this post

The biggest problem I have with authority is thinking I'm smarter or have a better plan than them (a common problem for an INTJ, but definitely other people can relate). It does absolutely nothing helpful, practically speaking.

In general, I pick my battles with authority. Most authority figures would not mind you voicing problems with the situation (but usually not themselves, unless you are very delicate). I believe that most people in authority are going to have some measure of goodwill for the organization/group/business etc. as their success is tied to it, rarely will you find a true totalitarian that you have to be shrewd with or take head on when appropriate.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

"An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

7w8 sx/sp

My opinion on authority is whatever the person in charge tells me it is.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes EJCC, gromit, Passacaglia liked this post