User Tag List

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default The trick to the DSM is quite simple really - here it is in simple if/the cond logic.

If Person A does not conform to 9 hour/day work schedule
    Then Check to see if Person A has sources of Income for Support

If Income for Support < than Needed
    Then Person A has Condition(Choose one at random())

To paraphrase: THE DSM evaluates disorders which lie on a spectrum. There is nothing wrong with treatment but the psychological profession is in the decline because it aligns itself with the idea that if a person cannot produce x amount of work hours they are "add" "asberger" "engage in disorganized thinking."

Could you imagine Andrew Carnegie's Managers having a discussion about incompetent steal mill workers: "Yeah...John has to start drinking mercury because he is engaging in disorganized thinking when he can't work on the steal line for 12 hours a day and has to keep taking breaks every ten minutes to drink some water."
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

One problem is the insurance company racket.
    They don't pay if you don't use a DSM diagnosis code.

So even if a doctor is not sure whether you have an actual condition or not, they still have to assign you "something" in order to get paid... at least that's what it looks like to me, based on my personal experience with doc offices and bills. I've had claims denied for not having a DSM code attached OR having a non-covered code attached.

As far as the rest, just because Uncle John had to "walk butt naked through forty miles of snow and worked in in the coal mine twenty two hours a day for just half a cent"* doesn't mean it was psychologically good for him; but as you note... you don't have ADD just because you can't work an assembly line for twelve hours with minimal break time. The human mind/body just isn't made for that, is it? There's some stuff in the DSM that is useful, some stuff that makes me want to roll my eyes. The sweet spot is probably somewhere in the middle. They do revise it every 10-15 years and add new stuff and remove others.

*quoting the esteemable Dr. Alfred Matthew Yankovic here...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I think most people who have ADD don't have ADD.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes asynartetic liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I think most people who have ADD don't have ADD.
    Agreed. I was officially diagnosed years ago. I think that diagnosis was wrong--the psychiatrist failed to consider autism spectrum disorders when evaluating me.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
    Agreed. I was officially diagnosed years ago. I think that diagnosis was wrong--the psychiatrist failed to consider autism spectrum disorders when evaluating me.
    that and a lot of people use the dx as a crutch. i've known people who were dxed adhd took adderall scripts for years abused it even was forced to give it because of the shit caused and are doing great without it. believed they needed the drug turned out they didn't
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    One problem is the insurance company racket.
    They don't pay if you don't use a DSM diagnosis code.

So even if a doctor is not sure whether you have an actual condition or not, they still have to assign you "something" in order to get paid... at least that's what it looks like to me, based on my personal experience with doc offices and bills. I've had claims denied for not having a DSM code attached OR having a non-covered code attached.
    Or unsupported codes or incorrect codes or undercoding..... Unfortunately, there isn't a DSM-IV dx for what's caused by having to correct incorrect coding. But there should be.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I work in that industry now. I've done the job and know exactly what you mean and it's painful and should be illegal.
    @ceecee @Jennifer
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    INFJ

Isn't that the premise of every disorder? If it doesn't meet expectations then you have a problem?