• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Am I insane?

Mychemicalkilljoy

MBTI Type
NOPE
Hey guys. I kinda have a problem that's not really a problem considering all the major problems like starvation that others are going through. Whenever I talk to someone, I feel like I act differently. With one person I make jokes, and another one I'm dead serious. I also am like the person I'm with. I also have a depressing view of the world and these weird prophecies that come true. It freaks me out. I got them since I was 5. I can't describe it... Am I insane?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Hey guys. I kinda have a problem that's not really a problem considering all the major problems like starvation that others are going through. Whenever I talk to someone, I feel like I act differently. With one person I make jokes, and another one I'm dead serious. I also am like the person I'm with. I also have a depressing view of the world and these weird prophecies that come true. It freaks me out. I got them since I was 5. I can't describe it... Am I insane?

I have no idea but you should be asking a mental health professional.

Mole

Permabanned
Am I insane?

Insanity means being out of touch with reality.

So there are two types of insanity.

We are insane when our thoughts are out of touch with reality, but our emotions remain in touch with reality. This is called schizophrenia.

And secondly we are insane when our emotions are out of touch with reality, but our thoughts remain in touch with reality. This is called Clinical Depression.

Usually when we are floridly schizophrenic, we don't think we are insane. And usually when we are suffering florid Clinical Depression, we also don't think we are insane.

So if you are wondering whether you are insane, probably means you aren't.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would say no. The first part definitely isn't insanity.

93JC

No, but we can't be sure you're not cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Mychemicalkilljoy

MBTI Type
NOPE
evil people

People who are alone on this world. People are not evil without a motive. They are in need of a tasty source of food to bring them out of the awfulness that is reality. I do it too. We eat fir comfort, maybe i went a bit too far when i ate a tub of ice cream and a wjole pound bag if chips in one sitting. I don't know how i am still skinmy

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Part of what you described sounds a bit like mirroring. (The part where you said you tend to act like the person with whom you're talking.) I think we all do this, in some form, whether we're aware of it or not. When we're talking to someone, we sometimes unconsciously mirror that person's body language, mannerisms, or speech. The idea is that doing so will help us build a rapport with the other person.

I think some people are more disposed to mirroring than others. Maybe you're one of the people who is more disposed to it?

Anyway, it doesn't mean you're insane. Just don't lose sight of the person you are when no one else is around. :)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
[MENTION=23956]Mychemicalkilljoy[/MENTION]

If you wonder if you're insane, it's a pretty reliable sign that you're not. :) I think everyone has wondered this at some point in their life.

Acting different with each person and like the person you're talking with is actually a good thing to some degree. Everyone does it, just in differing amounts. There are studies by social psychologists about this and how it affects communication and perception of each other, as well as liking and persuasion. Observe with interest rather than fear. :)

Your prophecies which come true are probably just intuition, mostly Ni as someone already pointed out. I've had very extreme ones too even though I'm mainly an Ne-Ti type.

You're noticing things about yourself that you don't fully understand, and when we don't understand something affecting us directly, the natural response is fear. It will take time to understand the things you notice. Practice accepting the things you notice, and smile about them because they keep you from being exactly like everyone else. That would be boring.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I think you are simply engaging in mirroring using a Feeling function (probably Fe) and intuition (probably Ni). Nothing to be concerned about as long as you keep in mind and develop a good sense of self. And psychic boundaries.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Part of what you described sounds a bit like mirroring. (The part where you said you tend to act like the person with whom you're talking.) I think we all do this, in some form, whether we're aware of it or not. When we're talking to someone, we sometimes unconsciously mirror that person's body language, mannerisms, or speech. The idea is that doing so will help us build a rapport with the other person.

I think some people are more disposed to mirroring than others. Maybe you're one of the people who is more disposed to it?

Anyway, it doesn't mean you're insane. Just don't lose sight of the person you are when no one else is around. :)

[MENTION=23956]Mychemicalkilljoy[/MENTION]

Just to help out with this mirroring thing. Someone might be insane for example if someone asked them how work was and then the person responded with extreme anger and started screaming for help.

When our mirroring is messed up we think that dangerous people are nice and good people bad.

This is also why drugs are bad.

Of course, mirroring is also the primary mechanism by which a psychopath can hack into our psyche or fall in by way of Trojan horse.

Mirroring is a thing that can be learned and is not necessarily as genetic as much as environment for most people.

But to be entirely fair, most psychopaths are actually quite naive because no one knows for sure how mirroring works both from the inside and outside.

We can only really approach this thing as if it were a novely for the idea of mirroring as a neurological phenomena is relatively new and from the outside it's a matter of intuition and experience.

But mirroring is deep and someone witha deep intuition will know when someone is messing with them, or mimicking them...but go ahead and experiment.

Try sitting, looking, and doing the same things the other person is but inverted like a mirror and please do let us know how it goes.