User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: ADHD, Dyslexia?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default ADHD, Dyslexia?

I was telling my partner that I think I have ADHD, and he said that I probably have dyslexia instead.
    I don't wan't to go to see a doctor for this because I don't want to get medicine or that kind of bullshit that mess with your brain.
    But I am interested in understanding what's going on with me so I can manage myself better. It's kinda hard to deal with me sometimes.

I thought I had ADHD because even if I am extremely lazy I have this urge of nervously start tapping my feet or hands around or playing with whatever is in a close range. When I'm talking on the phone, or just thinking about what I need to say to people, I start walking around the room like crazy, I even run sometimes without noticing, I jump on the bed, or move my arms in odd dance-y ways. And whenever someone enters my room is extremely embarrassing.
    I always need to multitask something. I can't be doing just one thing. I always forget what I was going to do because at the time I was about to start doing it I would be reminded of something else and go do that instead.
    I would find myself in the kitchen or the bathroom or some other place and I don't really remember why, so I often end up eating or washing my teeth for some unknown reason.
    I either wash my head like 4 times or no times at all.
    It's not that I am lazy or messy, but I just can't clean stuff because I get distracted in the middle of that action.
    Whenever my parents started yelling and me and ranting about all the things I've done wrong, I never listened because I was to busy thinking about how ugly they were looking with such an enraged expression, and contemplate the way the sweat started to come out of their skin pores, or the way reflection of the sunlight in their eyes altered their eye color.

My partner said I probably have Dyslexia because my body and brain don't work at the same pace.
    Indeed I started walking at 2 years old, and the doctor said I couldn't walk because my brain was faster than my legs, and I was thinking of taking the second and third step when I still didn't take the first one, so I would fall down continuously. And I never walked properly until my 4th years or so.

When I read a book I can't really concentrate on what I'm reading because I'm trying to always guess what's going to happen next so I go forward to see if there's something that interests me and eventually come back to understand the details later.
    When I'm trying to know more about a subject I just scroll down pages and pages reading tiny bits of words and then making up the concept in my own head, until I THINK I know it, but when people ask me about it I realize that I don't really know much about or I don't know how to explain.
    I also can't never read a book or watch a movie because I spend the first half an hour thinking about how many books I will read or how many movies I will see after that, and the better and knowledgeable person I'd become if I always tried to learn so much. And at the end I read no books and watch no movies.Which is frustrating, because when I do, I do actually learn a lot from them.

AM I AFRAID OF LEARNING TOO MUCH?

I don't know much about dyslexia though, even because it seems that there are different kinds, but I can relate with things I ''read'' so far.

Could I have both? Or am I misdiagnosing myself because I confuse personality type with some psychological disorders?
    How can you tell apart cognitive functions and disorders?

Sorry if this sounds like a meaningless rant.

Personality traits: a summary by Yar'Chun
    Introverted - Independent bitch
    Extraverted - Weak
    Intuitive - Creative 4th dimension spacelord
    Sensing - Dumb
    Feeling - Such confused wow
    Thinking - Smart
    Judjing - Nel mio intimo c'è Chilly
    Perceiving - Oooh butterflies

MBTI
    yupp

I believe you would know if you had dyslexia when you were learning how to read. plus they don't give meds for it you just kinda do therapy/exercises for it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I recently read that 80% of children with ADHD have excessive delta waves (which usually occur during sleep). This is the phase of sleep when the brain rests.

For non-drug treatments of ADHD, you may want to look into neurofeedback therapy.

Neurofeedback Therapy an Effective, Non-Drug Treatment for ADHD

Another relatively safe approach is the use of phosphatidylserine:

The effect of phosphatidylserine administration on memory and symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.

CONCLUSIONS:

PS significantly improved ADHD symptoms and short-term auditory memory in children. PS supplementation might be a safe and natural nutritional strategy for improving mental performance in young children suffering from ADHD.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    I recently read that 80% of children with ADHD have excessive delta waves (which usually occur during sleep). This is the phase of sleep when the brain rests.

For non-drug treatments of ADHD, you may want to look into neurofeedback therapy.

Neurofeedback Therapy an Effective, Non-Drug Treatment for ADHD

Another relatively safe approach is the use of phosphatidylserine:

The effect of phosphatidylserine administration on memory and symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.
    I'll try it, but it probably will not work. Nothing REALLY works...
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I believe you would know if you had dyslexia when you were learning how to read. plus they don't give meds for it you just kinda do therapy/exercises for it.
    I think so, but since I was a bilingual child I think it was harder to figure out what was dyslexia and what confusion due to the new language and stuff. I read and wrote in a language I barely knew, so I can't tell very well.

Extraverted - Weak
    Sensing - Dumb
    Thinking - Smart

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Yaru View Post
    I think so, but since I was a bilingual child I think it was harder to figure out what was dyslexia and what confusion due to the new language and stuff. I read and wrote in a language I barely knew, so I can't tell very well.
    Bilingual is cool! I am barely bilingual, but true bilinguals can do almost anything! Teach people English in a foreign nation!
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only person who can know is a doctor who knows how to diagnose you properly. A good doctor can give you MANY options for treatment.

I doubt you have dyslexia, it is pretty crippling.. Your brain involuntarily displaces things, it isn't so much a matter of it being so fast that it's slow necessarily. I think concentration and focus is your issue--along with a unhealthy dose of immaturity issues.

Now a days people are quick to be scared of doctors (particularly younger generations) because they don't want medicine right away.. it's a swing from the previous generations wanting instant-pills for everything, and doctors feeling pressured to deliver results.

ADHD does have medicines--and they DO work for some people. For some they do not, and either way it is an obstacle that must be managed. As prpl said, therapy and focus training is more likely to be on the menu than medicine right away so long as you make it clear you are seeking conservative treatment first. If it is truly severe, and you cannot function, then yeah I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the potential for you to live a functioning lifestyle.. Ask yourself if you have a poor quality of life right now. There is a reason people take pills that manage their pain, diseases, etc. even though it doesn't make them go away and has lots of side effects. The quality of your day to day life can greatly determine the quality of your life past and future. It affects you greatly. A good doctor will work with you.

Saying you want more conservative options first is not against the law or anything, doctors cannot FORCE you to do anything. They are not scary monsters.. and if one is particularly mean or dismissive of your circumstances, there is another more compassionate and willing to listen in your area.

Drugs are not used lightly, despite the fact that it seems so... but typically conservative methods are not really so effective, and that's why doctors tend to jump for the medicines with ADHD--they at least show results in some people.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the only person who can know is a doctor who knows how to diagnose you properly. A good doctor can give you MANY options for treatment.

I doubt you have dyslexia, it is pretty crippling.. Your brain involuntarily displaces things, it isn't so much a matter of it being so fast that it's slow necessarily. I think concentration and focus is your issue--along with a unhealthy dose of immaturity issues.

Now a days people are quick to be scared of doctors (particularly younger generations) because they don't want medicine right away.. it's a swing from the previous generations wanting instant-pills for everything, and doctors feeling pressured to deliver results.

ADHD does have medicines--and they DO work for some people. For some they do not, and either way it is an obstacle that must be managed. As prpl said, therapy and focus training is more likely to be on the menu than medicine right away so long as you make it clear you are seeking conservative treatment first. If it is truly severe, and you cannot function, then yeah I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the potential for you to live a functioning lifestyle.. Ask yourself if you have a poor quality of life right now. There is a reason people take pills that manage their pain, diseases, etc. even though it doesn't make them go away and has lots of side effects. The quality of your day to day life can greatly determine the quality of your life past and future. It affects you greatly. A good doctor will work with you.

Saying you want more conservative options first is not against the law or anything, doctors cannot FORCE you to do anything. They are not scary monsters.. and if one is particularly mean or dismissive of your circumstances, there is another more compassionate and willing to listen in your area.

Drugs are not used lightly, despite the fact that it seems so... but typically conservative methods are not really so effective, and that's why doctors tend to jump for the medicines with ADHD--they at least show results in some people.
    I don't want to take medicines just because I don't consider it a real issue. It was a big deal when I was back in High School and I had to study but I couldn't. I never had bad grades, but that's because I absorbed whatever teacher was saying while I doodled on the desk. If I keep my brain busy with an activity that calms down my brain and relaxes it, and doesn't require a particular effort I can unconsciously concentrate on everything that surrounds me. It's actually inspiring most of the times. If my brain didn't process information in this strange way I don't think I could make art at all.
    I believe this is a problem that bothers more other people than myself. Because they want me to behave like a regular person.

I have a extremely controversial relationship with doctors. A part of me is fascinated by medicine and all that. And a part of me sees corruption in every single corner.
    Regular medicine is okay if I don't abuse of it. I never need medicine anyway because I am never sick. But ''mind'' medicine feels just wrong to me.

Extraverted - Weak
    Sensing - Dumb
    Thinking - Smart

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Yaru View Post
    I don't want to take medicines just because I don't consider it a real issue. It was a big deal when I was back in High School and I had to study but I couldn't. I never had bad grades, but that's because I absorbed whatever teacher was saying while I doodled on the desk. If I keep my brain busy with an activity that calms down my brain and relaxes it, and doesn't require a particular effort I can unconsciously concentrate on everything that surrounds me. It's actually inspiring most of the times. If my brain didn't process information in this strange way I don't think I could make art at all.
    I believe this is a problem that bothers more other people than myself. Because they want me to behave like a regular person.

I have a extremely controversial relationship with doctors. A part of me is fascinated by medicine and all that. And a part of me sees corruption in every single corner.
    Regular medicine is okay if I don't abuse of it. I never need medicine anyway because I am never sick. But ''mind'' medicine feels just wrong to me.
    I mean, you didn't give much information, and I don't really want much more.. Your situation is your own. You'll have to evaluate what is going on and what to do.. but I'd think good and hard about why you're seeking a diagnosis.

What I see a lot of times lately is people claiming they don't like doctors as a way to avoid taking care of their health.. or from identifying that they have a problem at all. It's used as avoidance. And sometimes people go seeking diagnoses as if that'll help the problem.

I don't know you, or your life, or anyone in your life. But a diagnosis is pretty useless without an intervention of some sort. Your particular comment about your parents trying to sit you down and talk to you, throwing all of their emotions at you because they're at their wits end, and the ONLY thing you can think of is that they look ugly? That doesn't sound like just ADHD to me.. that sounds like immaturity and an escapist personality with some denial about your own self. Even people with ADHD can focus for a moment on such a tense situation directed straight at them. ADHD people have trouble with art because it requires concentration and patience. Narcissism, though, can easily glance over and dismiss it, and pick and choose when they can concentrate.

So... What are you trying to seek as the end game here? To simply identify why you're like this, so that you can explain it to others better? To not be alone feeling like you're the only one with this problem? Is it to secure a diagnosis to actually take steps to correct the issue, or to cling to it like a crutch, or to simply have it in the background of your mind? Google won't diagnose you. Forum members won't either. They'll shout out what it sounds like to them.. but that isn't an explanation.

Why do you truly avoid doctors? Bad experiences with them? With only one? Is it to escape a potential reality? Do you just find it pointless because you believe they're all corrupt no matter what? Or that they're pointless because you know if they didn't say what you'd like you'd dismiss them for any number of reasons because the only option that would be left with a diagnosis of 'you're normal' is that you're probably not so great of a person somehow? Would it expose a diagnosis other than the one you're hoping for, which could be a very scary thing?

These are all reasons I see people avoiding doctors. Usually it has very little to actually do with corruption in the medical world. While that is a motivator, it is normally not even near the main motivator to avoid ALL doctors. Usually something subconscious is working beneath there.

Clearly I don't care if you take medicines or not. I'm just saying medicine is a viable option, and that dismissing it so quickly and broadly is the mentality that keeps mentally ill from getting treated. No one wants to be sick, or have something wrong with them--or worse, trying to be convinced that something is wrong with them when they're in denial.

Whatever it is you do, for whatever reasons, luck to you.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes SD45T-2, prplchknz, Redbone, Again_Chloe liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

tbh I doubt you either one, maybe you do. you could have something but i doubt these. which is why online diagnosis are useless. plus none of us can actually help you. We don't get the full picture.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so