• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Deep shame

birdseye

MBTI Type
INTP
so..I seem to have a permanently guilty conscience for reasons I don't understand. A deep sense of shame, and lately it has been really bothering me.

Just to clarify some things..I've never killed anyone, never been in a fight, never stolen things, never physically hurt an animal or human, never cheated in a relationship, never bullied or tormented someone, never committed fraud, never been arrested, etc.

So what am I feeling this shame for? Maybe it's from low self esteem, social anxiety, feeling guilt that I have not reached goals? Does anyone else relate?

á´…eparted

passages
This is something you should talk to a therapist about. It's very likely this is deep seated and would take a lot of work to tease out.

Chthonic

So what am I feeling this shame for? Maybe it's from low self esteem, social anxiety, feeling guilt that I have not reached goals? Does anyone else relate?

Or maybe you have a destructive parent who knew how to pull your strings and you just haven't put it all together yet?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe you're just an E 4!!! :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I've been told I have shame but its more of I'm scared of being judged harshly and scared of what comes after I do 90% of possible actions.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
so..I seem to have a permanently guilty conscience for reasons I don't understand. A deep sense of shame, and lately it has been really bothering me.

Just to clarify some things..I've never killed anyone, never been in a fight, never stolen things, never physically hurt an animal or human, never cheated in a relationship, never bullied or tormented someone, never committed fraud, never been arrested, etc.

During your development years, was there ever an authority figure who treated you unkindly? Anyone who hurt you?

Very young children don't understand the world and tend to absorb the worldview that their trusted authority figures present them. It is usually a great survival instinct to do this, but when the authority figures are dysfunctional and harmful, then it creates a deep, subconscious, distorted view of the world. It could even be a kindergarten teacher, a Sunday School teacher, an aunt, or anyone who you trusted. This can also result from millions of tiny, micro-attacks in what would otherwise appear to be a reasonably functional environment. If the child is especially intelligent, sensitive, and perceptive, then the impact can be greater than average.

Children who have been abused are especially vulnerable to this free-floating guilt that keeps trying to map to something in reality and often results in feeling disproportionately guilty for small things. I deal with it myself.