User Tag List

123 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default 10 years to being a genius in something

They say that it takes 10 years of full time practice to develop a genius-level skill in something. If you have at least average intelligence and you haven't picked a grossly inappropriate skill set for your person, you would do extremely well in 10 years. Might take 20 years of time if you have only 4 hours/day for your self-education.

So, what would you pick?

I might want to be a kick-ass project engineer at software projects. Of course I'm afraid it might not happen. But, still.

How the situation might change if I'm allowed to pick a skill I may develop entirely on my own? I Might like singing, speaking several languages or some other performance.

What do you think of the concept "10 years to being a genius at something?"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Likes Cygnus liked this post

nothing that requires too much planning or contemplating

only doing.

10 years. Are you referring to something Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi may have said? Regardless, no. I don't think one has to pass a standardized 10-year mark to be a genius at something, nor do I think one can just rip off their clothes, get on a scale, and weigh in as a "genius." I have a flexible attitude toward the word and how it can manifest.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, Cellmold liked this post

My something would be to find the most suitable method to get what I want (or get close to what I want) within a limited time frame.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

That 10 year rule has some extreme outliers. Some people accomplish a genius level at 3 years.

Elon Musk said if you want to be an entrepenuer and you're not prepared to work 100 hours forget it and you are doomed to fail.

If you play guitar and can't strum one string 100 times once a day, a great guitar teacher said, forget it.

Being a genius at something isn't mentally as hard as it is a matter of grit. Success is determined by grit. If you want something bad enough you will do it.

Do you like watching T.v.? Do you want to be a genius at watching t.v.? Hmmm...maybe it's time to limit your t.v. time to ten to twenty minutes a day at most and start focusing on your path to self development.

Maybe you are a genius at meditation?
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I've heard the idea of "genius" used in this context to describe a truly notable individual in their use of skill, expertise, knowledge and whatnot. This concept has been around for a while, and many people note that not everyone is a "genius" - or someone they would recognize as a "genius" after 10 years of practice.

Some guy told he's expert on perpetual machines and free energy due to spending 30 years of his life on it. So my opinion is that 30 years (let alone 10 years) of work didn't make that guy a genius in his own field.

Still, some people achieve spectacular results from 10 years of work.

Yes I'm a fan of Csikszentmihalyi's work. This 10 year to genius -thing is repeated elsewhere too, though. I'm wondering if this is one of those unfounded anecdotes like the ones that claim you're using only 10 percent of your brain - or, if in the opposite, there's some merit to this claim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by GarrotTheThief View Post
    That 10 year rule has some extreme outliers. Some people accomplish a genius level at 3 years.
    It seems more probable that a person who's genius after 3 years of practice has had extensive practice before those 3 years. For example, someone is a great tv actor after only 3 years; surprise, they've had other experience for acting for whole 7 years!

Elon Musk said if you want to be an entrepenuer and you're not prepared to work 100 hours forget it and you are doomed to fail.
    The productivity maximum for a person occurs at about 40 hours of work / week so why would anyone be so egg-headed as to work 2,5x the optimum?

If you play guitar and can't strum one string 100 times once a day, a great guitar teacher said, forget it.
    10,000 seems a more likely figure.

Being a genius at something isn't mentally as hard as it is a matter of grit. Success is determined by grit. If you want something bad enough you will do it.
    I had to google this "grit" to find out what's it about. It seems much like "sisu" the people of my country are so proud of.

Do you like watching T.v.? Do you want to be a genius at watching t.v.? Hmmm...maybe it's time to limit your t.v. time to ten to twenty minutes a day at most and start focusing on your path to self development.

Maybe you are a genius at meditation?
    I use this tecnique myself, addressing the reader. I'm not sure if you are referring to singular you (me, the OP) or a plular you. It's a good point though. Anyone spending their time on an unproductive thing would find themselves spectacularly proficient in an unproductive thing. Not worth the effort.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Ten years can allow you to master a skill, but not become a genius at it. I think there is a difference. Mastering a skill has to do with being able to recreate a complex task, but genius is about being able to generate new ideas. Perhaps the terms are not defined accurately in my understanding, but there is some type of distinction that should be made between the two types of mastery.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes Xann, Ghost, ESFJ, Yaru liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I should be a master model painter then since I've done it for nigh on 13 years. Unfortunately I'm just OK until you look too close.

My experience is that you get better with certain leaps of understanding and making effort to pursue new methods or try more advanced techniques. The speed at which someone does this is individually dependant. For example my brother was a natural painter of miniatures and i think art in general despite his wavering interest. I was amazed how he picked up on colour theory in model painting without even knowing what it was. Things like spot colours, the tri-colour choice.... which colours worked together etc...

But he was better than me after a week than I was after 5 years and while he now marvels at what I paint, I always say he could easily be better than me if he wanted to pick it up again. But he found booze and drugs a better distraction I guess.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

good, hot, fresh, fly ~ laterlazer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    592 sp

I will never be a genius at anything then, I can't do the same thing for ten straight years
    Likes Again_Chloe, Yaru liked this post