User Tag List

First 123 Last

It's possible I suppose since 10yrs of not just faffing around but actual focused, dedicated effort could indeed produce results consistent with the label. Especially in the modern world where the word 'mastery' has lost a lot of it's value. People think they are masters of something if they stick with it for more than 2yrs. They are more usually adept, but not often true masters, in the way I would think about it.

What would I choose to do? I'm already doing it and I doubt anyone really is interested in knowing. Needless to say though that in 10yrs time, if I can keep up my effort I hope to have gained some level of skill with it. I doubt though that my level of skill with it will equal what I consider to be genius. Producing a result far surpassing all other masters of the craft. I like to reserve the word genius for those rare few who truly do something out beyond the ordinary, not merely for people who stick at something for a while.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    They say that it takes 10 years of full time practice to develop a genius-level skill in something. If you have at least average intelligence and you haven't picked a grossly inappropriate skill set for your person, you would do extremely well in 10 years. Might take 20 years of time if you have only 4 hours/day for your self-education.
    The prescribed amount of time to master something, according to the book "The Outliers", is 10,000 hours of practice. If you practiced any craft for 4 hours a day for 7 years, that totals to 10,220 hours.
    Likes Elfboy liked this post

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Name View Post
    The prescribed amount of time to master something, according to the book "The Outliers", is 10,000 hours of practice. If you practiced any craft for 4 hours a day for 7 years, that totals to 10,220 hours.
    are you an accountant by any chance?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    Close, finance.
    Likes Elfboy, Again_Chloe liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

so basic math skills are good enough to master accounting?

or was that a joke?

oh. maybe. Haha?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

you dont have to wait 10 years to become a genius at anything.

All you need to do is to contract syphiilis.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Again_Chloe View Post
    so basic math skills are good enough to master accounting?
    or was that a joke?
    oh. maybe. Haha?
    it wasn't the basic math skills as much as the very Te-ish "here is the precise calculation".
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Language, I can't remember the person's name from the United Nations, but he can speak like 20(?) something languages/dialects fluently. I think the same person was also able to read and write in a similar amount.

That means I can learn Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, French, Chinese Dialects, German, Italian, Swedish, Hindi Dialects, Korean, and Japanese and that will be the majority of the languages spoken in the world (besides already knowing how to speak English.)

With that amount of knowledge and mastery in languages, I'd be highly valued by governments and companies alike.

But that will be 10 years and a lifelong dedication to use all of those languages.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

it wasn't the basic math skills as much as the very Te-ish "here is the precise calculation".
    i am doing that all the time and my Te is weak. Such plans, '' i need to spend 4hrs a day studying German and in 4 months i am fluent'', but i never follow through

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

They say that it takes 10 years of full time practice to develop a genius-level skill in something. If you have at least average intelligence and you haven't picked a grossly inappropriate skill set for your person, you would do extremely well in 10 years. Might take 20 years of time if you have only 4 hours/day for your self-education.
    Seriously if I spent four hours a day, every weekday just doing piano practice, theory reading and composition, wow man, I don't know where I would be now. (Not online, that's for sure, and probably knee deep in women.) You can achieve a lot just concentrating for half an hour.

So, what would you pick?

I might want to be a kick-ass project engineer at software projects. Of course I'm afraid it might not happen. But, still.

How the situation might change if I'm allowed to pick a skill I may develop entirely on my own? I Might like singing, speaking several languages or some other performance.

What do you think of the concept "10 years to being a genius at something?"
    I think in 10 years one could easily create works of genius, provided they have natural talent in their chosen discipline. For this reason, "what would you pick?" isn't really the way I'd approach this. Ask yourself where your strengths and passions lie, and then play to them. I would not make a great particle physicist or a novelist, because my brain just isn't wired that way. But if you find something that really suits you and really commit to it (my problem), producing something special could only take half that time.

You see, I don't believe that you "become a genius". The way I look at it, formal instruction won't enable me to compose, I either can or I can't, and I know I can. What it can give me is a theoretical background, and that will hopefully enable me to work to the best of my potential, because I won't keep producing incoherent fragments.

Purely technical things like playing the piano to a more advanced level are different, they are much more weighted towards persistence, which means constant practice including very mundane exercises like scales and trills (neither of which are my strong points).