User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Default Bitches Be Jealous

If there's one thing that infuriates me beyond words, it is the "You're just jealous" defense. Chances are, you're familiar with this, and have experienced it for yourself. It's when you express your dislike of someone -- or maybe something that someone does -- and somebody replies, "You're just jealous."

Of all the inane comebacks out there, this one irritates me the most. It's as if you can't possibly have a reason for disliking someone other than a childish case of envy.

Take, for example, my personal dislike of a certain singer. I won't say who it is, but I don't care for her music, her lyrics, or her voice. But apparently, according to her fans, this means I am jealous of her looks, her talent, and her success. The thing is, I am perfectly happy with my looks, and I wouldn't want her voice or her success. So what could I possibly be jealous of? Is it really so inconceivable that I just don't like her work?

Not only is "You're just jealous" a lazy, nonsensical retort, but there's pretty much no way to respond to it without sounding defensive. It's the perfect cop-out.

What are your opinions? What do you think is behind this specious reasoning? And how does one counter it successfully?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

If someone says that to me, I stop associating with them. Simple as that. It speaks a lot of them as a person and I have no patience or tolerance for people like that.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes asynartetic, geedoenfj, Sil liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Take, for example, my personal dislike of a certain singer. I won't say who it is, but I don't care for her music, her lyrics, or her voice. But apparently, according to her fans, this means I am jealous of her looks, her talent, and her success. The thing is, I am perfectly happy with my looks, and I wouldn't want her voice or her success. So what could I possibly be jealous of? Is it really so inconceivable that I just don't like her work?
    They sound delusional.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

oh yes, i completely agree. they can't handle confronting their own flaws or shitty behavior so everyone is 'just jealous' or a ~hater~. i know plenty of people with cool lives, that don't have any haters because they are kind and gracious people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Anyone who uses "you're just jealous" seriously just has a poor ability to accept that others don't like what they like. But I say it sometimes when I joke around with my friends.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

"You're projecting."

Better yet

MBTI
    yupp

usually not, but i like the fact that you have such high confidence in youself that you think i'm sooo jealous that i'm not you. I'm practically green which might be botulism, but yeah sure blame it on the jealousy
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

It's the laziest possible comeback. Where is the logic in that thought process? If A does not like B, then A must be jealous.

It's almost as annoying as when someone asks if you like something, you say no, and they take it as a personal attack/criticism on them.... Uh, you asked, dude.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Initially used as a sympathetic response to people who are upset with a "they're just jealous", such grows and expands as its sensibility torturing nonsense is wailed about like the trench coat of a bold predated sex offender.
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If a person said something like that to me, then anything else said after would be translated to Charlie Brown 'wah wah' noises. I just don't have the energy to spare to attempt to communicate with people like that and I couldn't imagine what they payoff would be.
    Likes Video liked this post