User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    If there's one thing that infuriates me beyond words, it is the "You're just jealous" defense.
    What if they just want to see you furious, and you're providing them exactly what they seek?

Likes Cygnus, SpankyMcFly, riva liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    What if they just want to see you furious, and you're providing them exactly what they seek?
    Whoa.

............I don't know kung fu.
    Likes Rasofy liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

If there's one thing that infuriates me beyond words, it is the "You're just jealous" defense. Chances are, you're familiar with this, and have experienced it for yourself.
    God, tell me about it.

I'm so sick of people being jealous of me. Like, get your own life. Amiright?
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes prplchknz, five sounds liked this post

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Seems like you are just being jealous to people who can freely use the "you are just jealous" argument against you.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Seems like you are just being jealous to people who can freely use the "you are just jealous" argument against you.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

i seriously can't think of any case when someone used that as a retort and i respected it in any way. it's mostly just concerning to me that such a simple, broad, and uninformed explanation is what so many people operate on. yikes.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

MBTI
    yupp

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

If there's one thing that infuriates me beyond words, it is the "You're just jealous" defense. Chances are, you're familiar with this, and have experienced it for yourself. It's when you express your dislike of someone -- or maybe something that someone does -- and somebody replies, "You're just jealous."

Of all the inane comebacks out there, this one irritates me the most. It's as if you can't possibly have a reason for disliking someone other than a childish case of envy.

Take, for example, my personal dislike of a certain singer. I won't say who it is, but I don't care for her music, her lyrics, or her voice. But apparently, according to her fans, this means I am jealous of her looks, her talent, and her success. The thing is, I am perfectly happy with my looks, and I wouldn't want her voice or her success. So what could I possibly be jealous of? Is it really so inconceivable that I just don't like her work?

Not only is "You're just jealous" a lazy, nonsensical retort, but there's pretty much no way to respond to it without sounding defensive. It's the perfect cop-out.

What are your opinions? What do you think is behind this specious reasoning? And how does one counter it successfully?
    @Rasofy speaks the truth. This is an emotional "argument" (not really, but lets pretend). When/if you respond emotionally they "win" in their eyes because you are giving them what they want, an emotional reaction. I think of this as vampirism myself. Like internet trolls you can "win" by not feeding them emotions, starve them. No immediate gratification though.

On the off chance you feel like doing battle...

1) As you mentioned this is also a "lazy" comment and I find that when you follow up their comment with a request for information and/or an explanation to their thought process THEY are the ones who can get flustered because your request is basically asking them to "work" mentally. "Oh really? How did you arrive at that conclusion? What's the thinking there? Do you mind explaining? (lol, of course they mind!!!)

2) Jujitsu: I take it you don't hate/dislike anything and it's difficult for you to empathize?

3) NO U!: "Yeah just like your hate of X (insert something they hate here) is jealousy" Be sure to snicker for maximum effect. Be ready to rumble.

3a) "Hmmm, I guess that explains why you hate X." (insert something they hate)

4) Good ol' ad hominem: You're just of fan boi of X, I bet you have posters of X in your room (or buy/listen to their product, own their cd, etc.). Be sure to eyeroll when you say this.

5) Sock them in the jaw, they had it coming. Make sure you have a get a way, lest it become a police action.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes BadOctopus, Ghost, Passacaglia liked this post

It might be true. On the other hand I honestly dont believe that everything is or should be rationalised as a consequence of subjective projecting or some sort of Jungian shadow, I think that's a gross simplification.

When a number of people, different people, experience the same individual and the same circumstances in the same way then you can bet your life that it isnt just them, all of them, in concert being bent out of shape in the same way, its possible but highly, highly unlikely surely.

This all, I think, can be traced back to whether or not you actually believe there is an objective ordered cosmos, I do not mean orderly necessarily but ordered as in possessing physical laws such as cause and effect, or if you believe in subjectivism alone, or intersubjectivity at best, in which everything and anything is individually or socially constructed and can be deconstructed again, all things being mere opinion and relative to the individual alone.

Interesting as those things can be, philosophically, academically and perhaps methodologically from a therapy point of view I think the hard sciences are right not to take it seriously like the soft sciences have.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SpankyMcFly View Post
    On the off chance you feel like doing battle...
    I would add:

6. You must be right [that I'm jealous]. Who could possibly be satisfied with [my own very real accomplishments and good situation in life] when instead I could have [known problems this celebrity has, or problems of celebrity in general]?

7. If it makes you happy to think so, go right ahead.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...