User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Picky Eating

I used to have a massive aversion to celery, the smell of it was hideous and if even a small quantity of it could be tasted I would gag. But last year I decided I was going to eat it. I hate cooked celery but crunchy, fresh celery is delicious and I eat tonnes of it now. It was pretty much all psychsomatic.
    Likes Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    INTP

Not really....but i do have well defined food tastes on both health and taste grounds.
    Good result (vs. Soton)...still have to go #Arsene

Tengo los conocimientos estardiar....no hay un motivo para estar al tanto de la reunión que sucedió hace mucho tiempo ....

MBTI
    INTP

I also hate celery. But since I eat all other vegetables, I don't feel bad for not liking one.

My mother is middle aged and she is still a picky eater. She is still very picky about fruit and vegetables, there are many that she refuses to eat. I wish I knew what to do for her. She says that it is all because her mother forced her to eat certain foods when she was young. That's always the excuse.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I also hate celery. But since I eat all other vegetables, I don't feel bad for not liking one.

My mother is middle aged and she is still a picky eater. She is still very picky about fruit and vegetables, there are many that she refuses to eat. I wish I knew what to do for her. She says that it is all because her mother forced her to eat certain foods when she was young. That's always the excuse.
    The only time I ever buy that is from my 91 year old grandmother. They had to take cod liver oil as children so she doesn't like tuna in oil. In fact it nearly makes her gag. But, she loves tuna that comes in a pouch with very little liquid. So it never had anything to do with the tuna, just the oil (which I can't blame her for hating, that had to be horrible every day.).
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    yupp

my room mate is one of the pickiest eaters i have ever met. I'm not picky but I can't eat a lot in a day without pain later on. and i don't mean engorging myself but, like if i eat the normal amount for most people i'll probably throw it up later or be in pain til I do. So I try to eat, I find that if i eat small amounts through out the day I'm less likely to feel sick. But if I try to eat a full meal at once it's bad. Also I dislike carrots and celery raw. can't stand brussel sprouts, or salmon, grits (worst food ever) anything with artificial sweetner is gross. Don't like eggplant, canned tuna (fresh tuna seared is delicious but expensive) pate. chopped liver. Asparagus. Milk. But generally I like most things or am at least willing to try it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My brother eats/drinks like ten things. I don't know how he doesn't get tired of eating the same things over and over again. I mean, if I ate pancakes five days a week, I would probably throw up every time I heard the word "pancake" after like two weeks.

I don't like fruit at all though, or most condiments. I really like most vegetables on the other hand.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've always suspected I was a supertaster, for a few reasons, not the least of which is that I don't really like the taste of water. People tend to say "But it doesn't taste like anything!" when I tell them that, and I say that it does to me, because it does. Some water tastes better than other water- bottled or filtered water is acceptable but I can barely choke down municipal water, no matter where I am. I usually need to add something to water to make it palatable- even just lemon makes it okay.

So I got a testing kit and tested my whole family- my kids are supertasters, my husband is a normal taster, and I may be a supertaster but I'm not sure because my reaction was a lot less dramatic than the kids' but it did taste immediately and very bad to me. My husband couldn't taste it at all at first but then he was like "Wait, there's something.. I think it's kind of bitter?" LOL. Both the kids squealed and demanded something to drink. I didn't squeal but I did need to drink something to wash the taste of the test strip out of my mouth. It was pretty foul.

The kids are both pretty picky, but not to the degree in the articles posted in this thread. They eat fruits and vegetables, but they have a pretty firm list of "acceptable" ones. Neither one likes dressings or sauces. They eat most foods plain and not mixed-together, though my daughter is slightly more adventurous than my son. My son is on the autism spectrum and my daughter, while definitely not autistic, has some sensory processing issues, so I do think that's also related.

I'm less picky than they are, but if I don't like something, trying to eat it will make me gaggy. I'm different in that I like dressings and sauces, and sometimes I can sufficiently disguise the taste of something I don't love by pairing it with a dip or something.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    That is good, and I understand. However, when blood is present it means that your bowels are friable, and that usually means they are inflamed. Kind of like when gums bleed because they are inflamed. Inflammation is a state suggestive of disease, or unhealth, and almost always precedes cancer. Most of us have inflammation of some sort going on inside our bodies somewhere.

Your synthetic foods might irritate that swollen bowel enough to make it bleed, but it is likely still inflamed when not bleeding. Restoring health is what those essential oils can do for you, along with killing germs and, I believe, prohibiting the growth of cancer cells (just for prevention).
    @AphroditeGoneAwry @GarrotTheThief --
    one other point about inflammation. Inflammation of the gums (gum disease, say, from not flossing) is often a marker for heart disease. Chronic inflammation is a bad thing systemically.
    (Goes into carnival barker/ fanatic mode) Be sure to take your fish oil.
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    @AphroditeGoneAwry @GarrotTheThief --
    one other point about inflammation. Inflammation of the gums (gum disease, say, from not flossing) is often a marker for heart disease. Chronic inflammation is a bad thing systemically.
    (Goes into carnival barker/ fanatic mode) Be sure to take your fish oil.
    Oh, I am sure. Young Living is the best essential oil you can buy but I don't necessarily tout their supplements. I do take OmegaGize sometimes. It has CoQ10 in it.

Fish oil is tricky because your source is so important.

Interesting link on gum disease and heart disease.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Likes Olm the Water King liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've always suspected I was a supertaster, for a few reasons, not the least of which is that I don't really like the taste of water. People tend to say "But it doesn't taste like anything!" when I tell them that, and I say that it does to me, because it does. Some water tastes better than other water- bottled or filtered water is acceptable but I can barely choke down municipal water, no matter where I am. I usually need to add something to water to make it palatable- even just lemon makes it okay.
    I'm definitely not a supertaster -- I've eaten moldy food without realizing it until I'm throwing up hours later! -- but water definitely has a taste, and it can vary quite a bit. I remember being at a friend's house as a kid, and being given 'soft' water; the friend's mother said something about extra minerals. Anyhow, if that water was soft, it was soft like a mealy apple is soft.

I've also been told that waters from different regions have slightly different tastes, and I think they're on to something.