User Tag List

View Poll Results: What was the reason behind the doctor's reaction?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • The man's occupation was more prestigious than the doctor had thought.

0 0%
  • The health care administration had been looking for someone who's behind all these eye infections.

1 8.33%
  • The two had just made a joke about teachers before meeting the man.

4 33.33%
  • The doctor wondered if the man is lieing. He looked more like a factory worker.

0 0%
  • The doctor had a preconception about teachers, which just got confirmed.

3 25.00%
  • The doctor wasn't sure if the man's response was real or a joke

0 0%
  • The man's infection looks terrible. Hope the kids didn't see him like that.

1 8.33%
  • Other explanation? Please elaborate.

9 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default A case of human behavior, part #1

A man has problem with his eye and he goes to the doctor. A nurse recieves him, asks him a few questions, calls the doctor and chat for some time while waiting the doctor to arrive. The doctor arrives, gives the diagnosis, a prescription and some advice for treatment. The eye is severely inflammated with an extremely infectious strain of bacteria, but it will be ok. The man asks the doctor to write him some sick leave. Doctor grants it, asking some background information: what is your profession?

The man is a teacher. The reply has an effect on the two healthcare professionals. The doctor breaks eyecontact with the man, having looked at him for the whole time so far. The doctor turns her head 90 degrees, looks the nurse straight in the eyes with an expressionless face, looks back to the man and says something barely relevant to the conversation. The man gets his sick leave, and some parts of the treatment plan are repeated to him. Man thanks the doctor and the nurse and leaves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I voted other because I dont think its possible to know any of those things with the information you have at hand, they are possible explanations, there is no way of telling beyond that.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Now the interesting part: what would you have to know to answer the poll?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

The health care administration had been looking for someone who's behind all these eye infections.

The two had just made a joke about teachers before meeting the man.
    The doctor had a preconception about teachers, which just got confirmed.
    those 3 most likely though we can't know because there's not enough info, so I don't want to say yes to any of them
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Now the interesting part: what would you have to know to answer the poll?
    More context.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes prplchknz, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    More context.
    This. I did not vote because I don't have nearly enough information.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I can't vote because I can't believe for one second that anyone ever does something for one singular reason. Who was it that said there are always two reasons...oh yes...J.P. Morgan...

I mean we can talk about scientific studies, but just based on experience, and living - never met a person who did something for one reason - ever, unless they were lying to themselves or me.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, my understanding of this thread is that this very question might be the point (versus the one people are focusing on).

Some people would read into the doctor's behavior.
    Some will not.

What are some reasons people might read into it?
    Do we do this in our daily lives?
    Is our reading warranted / accurate, or is there a multiplicity of possibilities in a given social exchange?
    What are the kinds of assumptions we make in these daily social exchanges?

What is the bare amount of information we need to acquire in a social exchange in order to actually make an accurate reading? What type of information provides enough context?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes UnitOfPopulation liked this post

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Instinct tells me to judge, or rather that I have already judged an answer as correct here without being fully conscious of my decision.

But foresight tells me to check it here, though perhaps I wouldn't always do so, because I am suspicious of the question. I also had an initial thought that goes beyond the ones outlined and comes under the heading of other, which is that the doctor had poor experience with teachers at school. But I dismissed it because it has as little basis as the others. I also realised my own bias means that I had bad experiences with teachers and am projecting that into the setting.

I'm curious, though, is the case of human behaviour about the hypothetical outlined here, or about how our answers reveal our human behaviour, as in we're the case? I certainly don't think there is a correct answer, at least...not to the one that appears in front of us. It's the other question you want an answer to.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    those 3 most likely though we can't know because there's not enough info, so I don't want to say yes to any of them
    Agreed with prplz. I pay attention to this kind of thing all of the time, and I don't judge down to one possibility. I make a hazy cloud of of most-likely-to-be-trues.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post