User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do you Code-Switch?

In a more narrow linguistic definition, Code-Switching means the intermixing of at least two languages when speaking or writing. It's most common between people who know two+ languages or is learning another language. Some examples including:

Speaking Spanish in one sentence, and then switching back to English in another sentence (with or without thought)

Speaking French but inserting a few Spanish words (and vice versa) with people who know how to speak both French and Spanish. A crude example would be "Hola! Je m'appelle Rail Tracer", or "Bonjour! Me llamo Rail Tracer." To a person who can speak both Spanish and French, it'll be understandable (people that try not to intermix the two languages will just think it's weird)

Speaking Chinese but inserting an English word by accident without realizing that it was an English word you were using (that has not gone through the process of loan-words, like how Sushi or Dim-Sum has become a common English word.) An example: "我在找一 bowl." The characters used in the majority of the sentence is said in Chinese, but the person decided to use bowl instead of 碗 (which is a bowl in Chinese.) Roughly (I think) translate to "I am looking for a bowl."

Youtube Example:

Yes, it is particularly common with me because I am bilingual (but still trying to get better at my lesser used language.) Sometimes I'd speak in my second language and then I'll end up interjecting English words and sentences here and there without thought. Relatives/friends that cannot speak both languages will start raising eyebrows while relative/friends that can will completely understand what I was saying (because they do it also.)

Did I confuse you guys? Or is this uncommon?

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

I code switch like a mamma jamma. It's fun for me. It's also useful as tone and word choice can go a long way in succeeding with others.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes Redbone, Rail Tracer liked this post

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I do it in Gullah and English. Or even Southern English and Standard English! Mostly at home with my kids. They don't use Gullah but they understand me. Even I don't speak that much...understand more than I speak. It was dying out in my family and community when I was growing up like this woman in the video explains.

Here is the language:

You can hear her doing a reading from the bible at 12:09. I miss hearing this so much (ohhh...listen to the cicadas singing in the background!!! ) Her dialect is a little different b/c she is from further north. For example, when she says "yad-chicken", my family would stretch it out and say, "yaahd-chicken". She is right about the embarrassment or shame over speaking Gullah. We'd never speak like this around non-speakers...I never even used this around my ex-husband.

My workmate and I are always laughing at each other overhearing our phone conversations because of code-switching. He is Filipino and uses "Tagalish".
    Likes Qlip, Rail Tracer, five sounds liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

a couple of coworkers and I will speak back and forth in spanglish from time to time for fun

when I was in brazil I was learning portuguese as I went, but could speak decent spanish and am a native english speaker... whenever I encountered a word that I wasn't certain of I would end up speaking spanish and swearing in english
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Rail Tracer liked this post

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Only when I'm speaking to Arabs. I move fluidly between Arabic and English without even realising it. It's awful and embarrassing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    In a more narrow linguistic definition, Code-Switching means the intermixing of at least two languages when speaking or writing. It's most common between people who know two+ languages or is learning another language. Some examples including:

Speaking Spanish in one sentence, and then switching back to English in another sentence (with or without thought)

Speaking French but inserting a few Spanish words (and vice versa) with people who know how to speak both French and Spanish. A crude example would be "Hola! Je m'appelle Rail Tracer", or "Bonjour! Me llamo Rail Tracer." To a person who can speak both Spanish and French, it'll be understandable (people that try not to intermix the two languages will just think it's weird)

Speaking Chinese but inserting an English word by accident without realizing that it was an English word you were using (that has not gone through the process of loan-words, like how Sushi or Dim-Sum has become a common English word.) An example: "我在找一 bowl." The characters used in the majority of the sentence is said in Chinese, but the person decided to use bowl instead of 碗 (which is a bowl in Chinese.) Roughly (I think) translate to "I am looking for a bowl."

Youtube Example:

Yes, it is particularly common with me because I am bilingual (but still trying to get better at my lesser used language.) Sometimes I'd speak in my second language and then I'll end up interjecting English words and sentences here and there without thought. Relatives/friends that cannot speak both languages will start raising eyebrows while relative/friends that can will completely understand what I was saying (because they do it also.)
    Interesting example of something similar. I believe it was Rev. David Wilkerson (The Cross and the Switchblade) who talked about a Spanish-speaking gang member from New York who had converted to Christianity and was invited to give a talk across the country. The gang member got a LOT of odd looks during her speech/testimony due to this phenomenon, together with "Spanglish" as used by the gangs, e.g. saying los weekenes instead of saying el fin de semana (or similar).
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

Enneagram
    9w8

Hi hanni waste. Hv hv, I code switch a veces because yo hablo tres languages������

Sometimes, I will be speaking Cherokee and stick English or Spanish words in the sentence to fill in gaps. Or if I'm speaking Spanish, I will often accidentally slip in English words. Spanglish.

(The following post has been comprised of Lakota, Cherokee, Spanish and English)
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    yupp

I only know english so nope. but i've heard of this. I remember I knew someone who lived in russia for 2-3 years came back to the states was asked to give a presentation started out in english and without realizing it started talking in russia, then saw everyone's confused look and realize she had not been speaking english. Also two of my room mates will talk and mix english and french in the convo.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I only know english so nope. but i've heard of this. I remember I knew someone who lived in russia for 2-3 years came back to the states was asked to give a presentation started out in english and without realizing it started talking in russia, then saw everyone's confused look and realize she had not been speaking english. Also two of my room mates will talk and mix english and french in the convo.
    you probably do. code switching is just about dialect, and my guess is you use more than one based on who you're interacting with. with my sisters we have a kinda way of talking that we fall into together, i speak differently with my old friends than people who i'm just meeting, i have a way of speaking when i'm interacting with kids, i have a professional tone that i use at work or when doing other business-y things, etc.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.
    Likes chickpea liked this post