• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Are You Like When You're Angry?

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anger can be defined as a bubble-up of frustration after reaching a certain point; how do you express this externally? *Do* you express it externally? Or does it seem to come out as a different emotion?

Personally, I never really get "angry" with others. It seems like I just have "sad" and then "hysterically sad". I wish I could be one of those people that keep a calm exterior when angry, but I seem to have a hard time holding back tears when it happens :(

If I encounter conflict with others, I tend to either be able to step back and troubleshoot the situation fairly easily, or I drown everything out and start planning for what I can do about it in the future if the other person is being unreasonable at that time. At most, I might seem impatient, but I usually genuinely want to fix things and make sure I can reach a conclusion where the other person is happy.

What say you, People of the Internet? What are you like when you're angry?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say my style of anger is "avoidant". I become very quiet and withdrawn and, as my brother puts it, "scary-calm", until I can push it out of my mind. Unfortunately, this means I internalize all my anger, which I realize is unhealthy. But I don't know how to let it out. I've always regarded outward manifestations of anger as a loss of control.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I express it verbally usually. Though sometimes it's better to be alone and throw something. That solitary act of physical aggression can ease tension.

á´…eparted

passages
It's very rare for me to get truly angry. I get annoyed and ticked off easily, which people can misinterpret for anger, but its a big difference. Anger has a very different feeling for me. Generally speaking I am really good at keeping my anger/temper in check. I've only ever truly lost it a few times in my life, and even then the lid snaps back on in a matter of seconds. It takes a lot to make me mad, and more often than not it's caused by circumstances and objects. People almost never make me truly angry. Someone would have to try and hurt me with explicit malicious intent, and I have never experienced that. Even then it would have to take quite a number of jabs before I snap.

As far as how my anger is, I'd say it's physically destructive and LOUD. I get extremely vocal when it comes out and the volume goes up to the point where I'll hurt my voice.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can scream and go off sometimes. Sometimes I cry. Sometimes I vent to others and listen to angry music or drive fast or something. It's almost always very short lived though. I like to purge and move on.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I get really aggressive and throw as many insults as possible. I don't get genuinely angry that often.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I knew someone was gonna mention the Hulk XD
Welcome to the board. Names Malone (not really), and pleased to meet ya! I don't run things around here but sometimes in my special "space" I pretend like I'm lord of the universe and hover over my ant farm.

:newwink::hi::happy2::smile:

Researcher

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
bad
I would say my style of anger is "avoidant". I become very quiet and withdrawn and, as my brother puts it, "scary-calm", until I can push it out of my mind. Unfortunately, this means I internalize all my anger, which I realize is unhealthy. But I don't know how to let it out. I've always regarded outward manifestations of anger as a loss of control.

nice, "scary-calm"... INTJness in action!!! I won't mistype you ;) approved INTJ :D

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think I mix up anger and irritation a lot. I never feel like I'm angry, I'm usually just really irritated, and then someone would tell me I seem angry so I get confused cos I didn't think I was. But yeah I just feel extremely irritated when I'm angry, so I tend to find something to do/think about to counter the irritant and keep the anger bottled up I guess. Only when I'm in a situation where the irritant doesn't leave do I externalise my anger, mostly just with really harsh words and rudeness, I often know what pisses people off and what they don't want to hear so that's the time that I'll say mean stuff like that.

This only happens with my family majority of the time though, can't escape from them, except for the times I've run out of the house of course :p

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It depends. I'm pretty avoidant. I also do not like being angry.

However, on very rare occasion in situations I cannot avoid or extract myself from, if I've been frustrated for a long time, I can do a lot of "burst damage" where I just dump everything in the space of 10-15 seconds and you get it all raw. In person, it could be an entire screamed rant in about ten seconds time; and then I just crash / implode.

If it's less of a burst and more controlled, I basically just go for "kill moves" on the target; i know exactly where to stick the knife, the awareness of what would hurt the most has likely been building a long time. I can become also very sarcastic. I can also feel obsessive until I get it out of my system.

But normally I just pull back when I'm angry and find a way to defuse / focus on something else.

Qre:us

I make people cry.

If I'm being honest with myself, I know that I have a temper problem - hell, anyone who knows me well knows that I do. I feel a visceral, physical reaction to my anger. I'm an aggressive fuck and am vicious in my attack (recalling a lot of not-proud moments, nothing is off-limits, and I'm going for the jugular). And, I become even more stubborn. I've damaged property before, but have learned to control that for a long time now. My mother notes that she can literally see the anger in me, like a rabid animal. My face and ears turn red, I feel boiling hot all over, especially my head, my breathing gets heavier, and shit's about to hit the fan. Before, I used to let it fuel me, because that energy was screaming for an outlet, like a volcano, but I've learned to walk away. Rage. Not just anger, it's rage. It's pretty fucked up, the lack of control I feel in those moments. Thankfully, except for with my father, with most people and situations, it takes a while to get to that point, because most times I don't care enough to be that invested and it dissipates at the frustration/irritation level, it doesn't escalate further. I think my anger is so intense (rage), when it happens, because I know that this is not a rational choice, and I've lost control. It's like I'm two-fold angry. Angry at the situation, and angry because I am so angry, something got me to such a point of anger, and I can't control it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't like the amount of energy being angry consumes. However, I'm an 8 and I can get to the fuck shit up level of angry in rare instances. It depends on the reason. I don't try to really bottle it up to where it explodes like Krakatoa, I try to address things before they get to that level.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
first try and avoid whatever's irking me... why bother expending the energy on anger when it could possibly be avoided?

if this isn't possible keep on working on whatever I'm working on with an apparent force field of evil surrounding me... those with any common sense just go away and let me do my thing in peace. I can glare awesomely and this is usually one of the things that I'm noted for. this is because I'm frequently surrounded by idiots :thumbdown:

occasionally, but not frequently, if the annoyance still does not abate anger is required... in this case someone gets informed that they're an idiot and they receive details as to how they could do things better and how stupid they are/are being. they are informed of this in a quick burst with many hand gestures. this is generally followed by a pivot and walking off to somewhere else far away. people don't tend to challenge the retreat and can't get a word in edgewise to what's being said.

those on the receiving end of actual anger usually try hard to avoid it in the future... it appears to be an effective tool, though rather tiring and annoyingly dramatic :dry: