User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: "Slap her"

  1. #1
    Member Eska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    34

    Default "Slap her"



    Thoughts?

    If this organization is pro-gender equality, I find the message to be somewhat ironic, or, at the very least, poorly demonstrated.

    It is suggestive of a multitude of sexist statements, or at least, it can be interpreted as such.
    Likes RedAmazoneFriendZone, cm81 liked this post

  2. #2
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    I was uncomfortable by the kids feeling okay to touch a female they don't know. They seemed to be more concerned with the filmmaker's permission about the girl's body than the girl's permission herself.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes Ivy, Cellmold, chickpea, ReadingRainbows, Codex liked this post

  3. #3
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Italian culture is completely different than culture in other countries, to take a small piece of stance there. I mean.. It really isn't a big deal touching other people. Even here in Texas we touch people all the time, and the same touches are seen as creepy in another state. (To give an example, someone here in NC wanted to pet my faux-fur-lined coat with a large collar.. and I didn't see it as creepy, but the Northern girl that was hanging out with us thought it was a total invasion of my privacy.. to me he was just "ooh sweet sensory experience!") So the term 'caress' in the thing.. I don't really think that's the big thing everyone's talking about. On top of that, children are more likely to touch each other anyways... it isn't so much a matter of personal bubbles, and before and around puberty starting children are just not really so into personal spaces and things like that. They don't quite get it yet. At 9 years old I wouldn't expect anyone to be all, "Oh, hey, can I ask permission to touch your hair a bit after this adult told me it was okay?"

    The slapping thing I think has more to do with parental moralities being mirrored in the children than the children themselves. I'm sure I could look up the studies I'm thinking of, but there's a significant portion especially in that age group that don't say things for their own ideas, but more to get the praise of their parents by mimicking their ideas and morals.

    On top of ALL of that, there's an authority figure there. An adult, and probably the kids' parents because there's no way they can release a video about these kids without permission from the parents in the first place. So... I don't see it being anti-gender-equality, or ironic, or anything like that. It seems like kids being kids to me.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Chanaynay, Rasofy liked this post

  4. #4
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Yes Im sure there's a cultural component.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  5. #5
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    That was weird. I'm still sorting out how I feel about it. Aside from what @gromit said, which bothered me too, I found it a little bit patronizing. I'm not a huge fan of telling boys "you don't hit women," I'd much rather boys (and girls) be taught nonviolence in general. I liked some of the boys' responses to being told to slap her- "Jesus doesn't want us to hit others," or "Because I'm nonviolent." It seemed like some of them had been taught to infantilize women, though.
    Likes Video liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member robowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eska View Post
    If this organization is pro-gender equality, I find the message to be somewhat ironic, or, at the very least, poorly demonstrated.

    It is suggestive of a multitude of sexist statements, or at least, it can be interpreted as such.
    If they wanted this video to be pro gender equality, they would have showed a boy slapping a boy and then a boy slapping a girl (or a boy refusing to slap another boy and a girl and a girl refusing to slap another girl and a boy, something along these lines), because boys slap other boys and that's a fact, but according to this they don't slap girls, which means they think girls are physically weaker than men (which btw is true in most cases- ≈60%) or that boys deserve to be slapped more than girls.

    The message of this video is that kids nowadays are taught that it's wrong to hit women, and are against domestic violence. I don't think this has anything to do with gender equality.

  7. #7
    Member Eska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    [...]

    On top of ALL of that, there's an authority figure there. An adult, and probably the kids' parents because there's no way they can release a video about these kids without permission from the parents in the first place. So... I don't see it being anti-gender-equality, or ironic, or anything like that. It seems like kids being kids to me.
    The message suggested by this video, is, not the boys' behaviors.

    Quote Originally Posted by robowolf View Post
    If they wanted this video to be pro gender equality, they would have showed a boy slapping a boy and then a boy slapping a girl (or a boy refusing to slap another boy and a girl and a girl refusing to slap another girl and a boy, something along these lines), because boys slap other boys and that's a fact, but according to this they don't slap girls, which means they think girls are physically weaker than men (which btw is true in most cases- ≈60%) or that boys deserve to be slapped more than girls.

    The message of this video is that kids nowadays are taught that it's wrong to hit women, and are against domestic violence. I don't think this has anything to do with gender equality.
    I think you've missed my point.

    That's what I was implying, that this video would not be a good representation of gender equality.

    It seems to promote the idea that boys should not girls for the sole reason that they're girls.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  8. #8
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That was weird. I'm still sorting out how I feel about it. Aside from what @gromit said, which bothered me too, I found it a little bit patronizing. I'm not a huge fan of telling boys "you don't hit women," I'd much rather boys (and girls) be taught nonviolence in general. I liked some of the boys' responses to being told to slap her- "Jesus doesn't want us to hit others," or "Because I'm nonviolent." It seemed like some of them had been taught to infantilize women, though.
    I liked those two answers too
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  9. #9
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    I'm amazed they all seemed to know what career they wanted.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  10. #10
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,881

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eska View Post
    The message suggested by this video, is, not the boys' behaviors.



    I think you've missed my point.

    That's what I was implying, that this video would not be a good representation of gender equality.

    It seems to promote the idea that boys should not girls for the sole reason that they're girls.
    But they're not trying to represent gender equality. They're trying to promote the idea that it is not right to hit women. And... Honestly, that's not an awful message. The reality of the situation is that while I'm all for both gender equality and non-violence in the household.. Overwhelmingly the statistics show that the ones abused in the homes are usually women. I don't think it's trying to imply anything about the genders.

    The only part of the video that even remotely bothered me was when one of the kids said, "because she's pretty." But even then.. It's a kid. And those aren't really his true values being reflected. He heard that somewhere along the way, OR he was taught to say that all girls are pretty. Either way, I don't really care, he's like 10.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Ivy, gromit, ReadingRainbows, robowolf liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Quotes to Motivate You to *Get To Work*
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 12:36 PM
  2. Colorful Sayings/Quotes
    By ladypinkington in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO