User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: "Slap her"

  1. #21
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    Not slapping a girl simply because she is a girl isn't much of a reason not to hit someone, but I guess it's better than nothing.
    It may not be the most honorable or best reason.. but again, showcasing the idea of domestic violence, harassment, sexual assault, and rape being overwhelmingly male on female, it's still a pretty big reason. And how do you explain those concepts to a young child? They didn't magically learn this at the ages of 8-11.. they were taught it when they were toddlers and pre-schoolers.

    It's difficult to make children understand complex things, and it's horrifying to try explaining something heavy like sexual assault. .. and I've found myself saying 'wrong' and technically not accurate things to my own nieces and nephews because they just simply didn't understand or have the mental capacity for some scenarios and situations. A child needs something concrete to grasp onto, they lack abstract thinking.

    The best answer definitely was, "because violence is wrong." But how do you synthesize that without overstepping on the toes of the parents, which allow wrestling, and some punching and kicking between father and son, etc? It was just.. more effective in the short term to tell them, "You don't hit her because she's a girl." And children are more flexible than adults.. so it's easy for them to say, "Oh, Aunt Kyuuei isn't a girl because I can wrestle with her and it's cool. My baby sister is a girl and she's NOT cool with my punch wrestling." It covered all the bases without frustrating the child and making them understand in a way that was actually implemented immediately. I can definitely see it being valid even if it isn't the smartest most bestest answer.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Ivy, countrygirl liked this post

  2. #22
    Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    I just love italian language and those kids are great !

    There are emotions in their eyes when they look at the girl, and shyness when they caress her.

    I don't think there is anything sexist in this video. I see this video as a message against violence and a return to innocence.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

  3. #23
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,192

    Default

    The whole thing was creepy, but at least it's a counterpoint to Milgram's authority experiment.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  4. #24
    Senior Member countrygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    723

    Default

    I found this video funny and cute only because they are children. Loved the comments about not hitting even if it's because she's a girl. I wonder if the caressing is to show that these boys know what it means to touch gently.
    4w5

  5. #25
    Member Eska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Being pro-gender equality, and respecting culture as it currently stands and not passing judgments are not mutually exclusive. You have to pick and choose your battles, and I argue they went for the bigger picture here.

    It is okay to say, 'We are all for gender equality' and also recognize that men are primarily the culprits of violence. On top of that, it's simply showcasing WHY the children (which, like I said before, are mirroring adults they've grown up around) are not hitting the girl, rather than passing any judgments one way or the other. They aren't saying it's OKAY for the boys to think that.. only it's great that they made the right moral decision when it came down to social pressure. It's okay to show that a major deterrent in breaking those moralities or non-violence is simply because they are women and that the children are taught right from the start that women for whatever reason is something that is a serious, grave no-no.. So much so that even around an authority figure that tells them it's okay to do something, they veer against it and refuse. And while the reasons may be seated in positive sexism... I think the Bigger and arguably far more important picture is that it's a safer world for women if boys are taught for whatever reason that smacking and hitting a girl is seriously wrong because it is far less safe for women in this world violence-wise. The domestic violence far exceeds what, to me, is more of a first-world-problem on the motivations why. It isn't perfect, but I think the center of the video being on violence is still okay. It isn't ironic at all that they're pro-gender but highlighting a different, more specific issue, while showcasing the motivations why without passing judgments. And if you're just saying 'if' they were pro-gender because you actually don't know if they are or not... then.. why is it even an issue if they're not pro-gender? The thread wouldn't exist or need to exist at all. So I'm going on the assumption they are here..

    There's a famous study where adults.. Full grown adults mind you. Functioning in society. Overwhelmingly shocked to the point of lethal doses people for the SOLE reason that they were told to by someone of authority and that it's 'okay'. For children to say no to that guy, with him having permission to talk from his parents, and him also saying it's okay, for those boys to still say no to me shows a swing in a positive direction. Even if those morals are not their own, and imperfect in their motivations, they've still internalized it. I don't see how that's showing hypocrisy in the filmmakers.
    Your point being that it shows that their society is teaching them hitting girls is wrong, which is positive?

    It can be interpreted as such, although, that does not refute my point that there is a sexist undertone to the points being demonstrated in the video, which would be ironic if this organization is pro-gender equality.

    I'm not saying the message is "wrong", I personally don't care, I'm only pointing out the possibility of an irony.

    I wonder what would have been the difference if it were boys to boys (of the same size), and they answered something along the lines of "No, because he didn't do anything to me.", that would be a global message on violence, rather than violence towards a particular sex.

  6. #26
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    I don't think they were aiming for gender equality at all. Just to tackle the problem of violence against women in Italy which is apparently a pretty big problem.
    Likes phobik liked this post

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Says a lot about the cultural mindset of Italy, namely that is still operates heavily under the influence of restrictive male identity stereotypes. As does most of the world incidentally. The funniest part of that is that men are usually the greatest proponents of them, preferring them to the idea that they might be 'feminised' by women. Which is a completely ridiculous idea. Just asking males to be less influenced by hormone rages and fixing issues with displays of aggression is not 'feminising' anyone. Surely we've reached a point in evolution where we choose to solve our problems in more productive ways?

    I would have preferred it if the kiddies had been able to say I won't hit her because I don't solve my problems that way. But....whatever, we are where we are as a species. Which is to say technologically advanced but not much removed from where we started emotionally and psychologically.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  8. #28
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eska View Post
    Your point being that it shows that their society is teaching them hitting girls is wrong, which is positive?
    Positive sexism.. where the effect of sexism actually benefits the party being discriminated against, but is still sexist nonetheless. It's also called other names. Cambridge Journals Online - Social Philosophy and Policy - Abstract - Positive Sexism

    It does not indicate that it is a positive trait in people nor does it indicate desirability.

    It can be interpreted as such, although, that does not refute my point that there is a sexist undertone to the points being demonstrated in the video, which would be ironic if this organization is pro-gender equality.
    Well I bothered to finally go clicking around, and while it's mostly italian stuff, I highly and seriously doubt the types and number of videos posted are pro-gender-equality related at all. In fact, they seem pretty ambivalent and unrelated at best to gender equality. So... I think the issue is pretty moot. They clearly are not demonstrating being a group about gender equality, and rather they're sharing a particular video they liked and clearly support.

    Even still, I don't think the sexist undertone is completely unwarranted or something taking people off guard. It's a pretty standard one that is still widely accepted and prevailing, however one might feel about it.

    I wonder what would have been the difference if it were boys to boys (of the same size), and they answered something along the lines of "No, because he didn't do anything to me.", that would be a global message on violence, rather than violence towards a particular sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think they were aiming for gender equality at all. Just to tackle the problem of violence against women in Italy which is apparently a pretty big problem.
    This. The idea isn't to make a global remark. Only to speak about violence against women, and particularly to give hope to others that future generations will not support that sort of nonsense.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes Ivy liked this post

  9. #29
    Member Eska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Positive sexism.. where the effect of sexism actually benefits the party being discriminated against, but is still sexist nonetheless. It's also called other names. Cambridge Journals Online - Social Philosophy and Policy - Abstract - Positive Sexism

    It does not indicate that it is a positive trait in people nor does it indicate desirability.

    Well I bothered to finally go clicking around, and while it's mostly italian stuff, I highly and seriously doubt the types and number of videos posted are pro-gender-equality related at all. In fact, they seem pretty ambivalent and unrelated at best to gender equality. So... I think the issue is pretty moot. They clearly are not demonstrating being a group about gender equality, and rather they're sharing a particular video they liked and clearly support.

    Even still, I don't think the sexist undertone is completely unwarranted or something taking people off guard. It's a pretty standard one that is still widely accepted and prevailing, however one might feel about it.

    This. The idea isn't to make a global remark. Only to speak about violence against women, and particularly to give hope to others that future generations will not support that sort of nonsense.
    Indeed, I wasn't making a personal judgement on the sexist undertone itself, I was simply pointing it out.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I'm amazed they all seemed to know what career they wanted.
    I loved the boy's response, "Pizza Maker."
    Why?

    "Because I like pizza!"

    Likes Ivy, Codex liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Quotes to Motivate You to *Get To Work*
    By Usehername in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-21-2014, 12:36 PM
  2. Colorful Sayings/Quotes
    By ladypinkington in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO