User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

MBTI
    intp

I see MAD people.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFP

I see anger and madness everywhere I go.

"It's the world gone crazy cotillion."

Chesler, Laing, Szasz said it well. Madness is a reasonable reaction to an unreasonable situation.

Just stroll through your local Walmart and listen. . .

(Oops. I think that biases the sample.)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    intp

Sometimes it's easy to miss the madness.
    I don't have a local Walmart. Please say more on how it biases the sample.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Just stroll through your local Walmart and listen. . .

(Oops. I think that biases the sample.)
    *pictures moms smacking thier kids around*

Me? Frequently described by psychiatrists as being in an almost continual hypomanic state with an occasional dip into mild depression (occasional as in once every couple of years ).... there's worse states to be in I suppose!

it would make sense that perhaps more disturbed people would be here though- psychological problems lead to an interest in psychology and this would be an offshoot I'd suppose
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    Sometimes it's easy to miss the madness.
    I don't have a local Walmart. Please say more on how it biases the sample.
    Wow! A human who has lived without that desecration of economic necessity. Kewl.

Oh, it's just sorta a joke, IF. The oppressed and downtrodden fill the aisles. So do middle class people who want to save time and bucks. All the while they are supporting a monolith of a big box store whose values are a piece of what is causing the problem.

Yeah, whatever. I've seen more child abuse in Walmart than I've cared to witness. Sigh.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    *pictures moms smacking thier kids around*

Me? Frequently described by psychiatrists as being in an almost continual hypomanic state with an occasional dip into mild depression (occasional as in once every couple of years ).... there's worse states to be in I suppose!

it would make sense that perhaps more disturbed people would be here though- psychological problems lead to an interest in psychology and this would be an offshoot I'd suppose
    A tad of hypomania is not a bad place to dwell. It looks quite attractive on you!

MBTI
    intp

Ah. TY.

Chesler, Laing, Szasz said it well. Madness is a reasonable reaction to an unreasonable situation.
    So what label do they give unreasonable reactions to reasonable situations?
    hoarding time and space

MBTI
    INFP

I dunno. If they did I can't remember. Common sense? Inevitability? Hee.

I'll address the OP for a sec.

Since I stopped working outside of my home regularly I have waaaaay too much time to hang out on the puter and I indulge myself.

I have a RL also but enjoy the convenience of communication by machine. Gives my impulsive self a moment to think before put my foot in my mouth. Heh. Looks better that way when your sox match.

So. My observation has been that there are many people in my computer who are experiencing some sort of limitation in their lives. It may be as simple as a lack of motivation to do whatever they're avoiding in RL. Or it may be a physical handicap which hampers their ability to get out and do their chatting in RL.

Here we are certainly a collective bunch of delightful characters. I think more so than some of my other forums. And there is a definite generosity of spirit here in self-disclosure that I don't see elsewhere except as it applies to the particular forum topic.

I'm here for the same reasons that I show up in RL. To learn more, out of curiousity, to work on creating and sustaining a mental and emotional balance in my life.

I think there is a high level of neurosis on the forum, but not psychosis.

Many of us are sick, but not crazy.

That is a rather important distinction.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I think there is a high level of neurosis on the forum, but not psychosis.

Many of us are sick, but not crazy.

That is a rather important distinction.
    On a related note, I reject medical definitions for mental states, for the most part. They're just not helpful to most people and labeling a mental state can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do you know anyone entirely happy, self-actualized, and living the life they want? The common dimension is that they probably don't spend a lot of time introspecting.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."