User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    don't suppose you'd care to elaborate?
    Well, you say you consider that you might meet people who you talk to online and actually do meet a lot of them. I don't see myself considering meeting someone like that. RL, it's different since I see the person and the attitudes and such, so I tend to trust to almost anyone (if they dont seem weird or angry or something). Online I don't trust to people the same way. I kinda trust the anonymity here. I can say things I normally wouldn't, but I haven't thought about meeting anyone, or considering everyone a potential friend.

It is these two categories. The one is good for certain stuff and I don't expect more of it. Reading your post made me think of how artificial the line between them is. I just hadnt thought about it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Wow, far out. Yeah, another world!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I make no difference between RL and chat. There is that great difference given through the lack of all interpersonal things but I try to compensate.

I am here to understand the MBTI better, because I am not a psychic and not to inclined with medical matters.

There are quite a few people here, I have grown to like. Hardly know someone I can say I dislike in this forum.

The main flaw of MBTI is that categorizing thing. It is not illogical that you can characterize people. But doing so, puts em down. It can when done to hard, destroy the very nature of an overall sane human being from the start.

There is input granted on the forums. Due to there are only 4 functions, you can relate nearly every input to yourself. Input is subjective. And it is drawn from sources beyond ones own comprehension.

I like to chat. Then chat develops. After chat has developed, a possible point comes when you can dig deeper into some things. And if even that third step is crossed, then everything is possible.

But I do not give my heart away tto just anyone.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, to me it just isn't what I do. I guess it creeps me that I don't know really ANYTHING about the person. When I look at people on the street I see a lot more stuff that says to me something about the person than the stuff I can get through just text.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

agreed

MBTI
    ENTP

agreed but with reservations - people can often be wrong in their judgement of another person's character. Just because you THINK you can see things about a person when you meet them face to face, doesn't mean you're necessarily right, just like the things you think you learn about a person through the internet aren't necessarily wrong just because you've no physical cues to back it up.

take my mom for example, who is happy to let someone move into her house as a lodger on the basis that when she meets them, they 'seem nice'. Yet she's an appalling judge of character, and has been taken in so many times it's not funny, by someone who's clean and tidy, well-spoken and polite and composed generally in person, and later turned out to be an asshole (wife beater in fact, on two counts - not beaten her I mean, but their own wives that they'd recently left). She'd be much better off IMO, interviewing these people online first so that she can get an idea of their personality without that 'nice appearance' to fool her.

a person's words and behaviour over a longer period of time in an online community can tell you more, and be more reliable (cos it's there in black and white and can't be glossed over or pretended it was otherwise later, like verbal communications), a greater sample if you will, than that intuitive once-over that we NP's are prone to relying too much on sometimes, IMO. And worse, people whose Ne isn't even very good
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I think most people who are drawn to personality/psychology stuff, and specifically forums, are those who have felt 'different' enough growing up, or have had issues relating with and communicating with others, that they have looked into possible reasons why. So I think everyone on some level has or has had issues with dealing with some element of the real world and real-world interaction. Pick an element, any element. :-) I think otherwise most of us wouldn't be on here and we'd all be living completely in the real-world, doing tangible things with real people and accomplishing things 'out there'. I know I'm one of the only one of my friends who does stuff like internet foruming (and most of my friends are N's, so it's not an N-specific thing..well duh, obviously, since we have S's on this forum!! :-) - and I think there's a reason for that.

To be honest I think I've been drawn to internet forums over the years mostly because of social anxiety -- it's simply easier. But also, for me, I think it's in a sense an excuse - and it's one reason I try to minimize my time on here. I'll hop on the non-PC wagon and say I've thought off and on that a site such as this would tend to retain a much higher % of those with personality disorders than would be found in a non-net/non-personality-interest-specific sampling.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I dunno casca, I think I was drawn to it very coincidentally. I wasn't really looking for communication tips. But now that I've read all this stuff, when i get the opportunity to introduce the whole concept to people, and hit them with the real life application of it for real people they know or celebrities or athletes or whatever, its a frickin RUSH, I'm all fired up I'm like opening people's minds up and stuff. It's awesome, my body temp is rising just thinking about it!
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I dunno casca, I think I was drawn to it very coincidentally. I wasn't really looking for communication tips. But now that I've read all this stuff, when i get the opportunity to introduce the whole concept to people, and hit them with the real life application of it for real people they know or celebrities or athletes or whatever, its a frickin RUSH, I'm all fired up I'm like opening people's minds up and stuff. It's awesome, my body temp is rising just thinking about it!
    Yeah, I'm not saying it applies to everyone!! And I agree it's kinda fun to segue the topic into the real world - I've done it myself, and people can respond to it pretty well!

But I still stand by some of my general statements...
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Just because you THINK you can see things about a person when you meet them face to face, doesn't mean you're necessarily right, just like the things you think you learn about a person through the internet aren't necessarily wrong just because you've no physical cues to back it up.
    Yeah, you are right, but it does really affect my trust in the person, so it is very real difference to me. For example, If I had met you in person somewhere and though you are nice enough, you could be around here and call if you need a place to crash, and this would be based on few hours of us hanging out. You get a sofa and I will sleep tight. So that's me trusting some stranger who I met at some lets-get-drunk-and-throw-up-a-lot festival. It'd be a whole different case if I only know your name online...

a person's words and behaviour over a longer period of time in an online community can tell you more, and be more reliable (cos it's there in black and white and can't be glossed over or pretended it was otherwise later, like verbal communications), a greater sample if you will, than that intuitive once-over that we NP's are prone to relying too much on sometimes, IMO. And worse, people whose Ne isn't even very good
    This is so not me... I guess I pay a lot of attention into the observing. I don't see myself going through threads for clues into someones lies.