User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default Apathy: how do you overcome it?

Give me your poor, your brilliant, your witty suggestions, yearning to help . . . me.
    Christ.
    Ok. Let's hear them people. When you are in a prolonged state of "just don't care", what do you do to stimulate enthusiasm for the things you at some point thought mattered?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery
    Likes JocktheMotie liked this post

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Don't know, don't care.

I need help too

MBTI
    INFP

I can't relate.

What's it like?

Focus on something else.

If I'm apathetic about work, I do enough to get by while directing all of my energy into a new interest or friendship. This reduces my overall apathy, thus improving my motivation toward work eventually.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I can't relate.

What's it like?

I am bored with everything and not motivated to pursue any of my prior interests. I briefly get jazzed up and start doing them again but lose steam really quickly.
    I cannot focus sometimes because I get jazzed about a million things that i want to do all NOW. I waste time in idle pursuits with low but immediate rewards.
    I cannot be arsed to do anything of value to me, because it won't be to my liking given my low energy levels, I know. I would rather sleep.
    I cannot be bothered talking to people for any length of time. I want them to wrap it up and *leave* because 1) I don't care and 2) I don't want to be made to care.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I am bored with everything and not motivated to pursue any of my prior interests. I briefly get jazzed up and start doing them again but lose steam really quickly and cannot focus sometimes because I get jazzed about a million things that i want to do all NOW. I waste time in idle pursuits with low but immediate rewards.
    I can't be arsed to do anything of value to me. I would rather sleep.
    I cannot be bothered talking to people for any length of time. I want them to wrap it up and *leave* because 1) I don't care and 2) I don't want to be made to care.
    Are you working or schooling?

Productivity breeds productivity..

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Are you working or schooling?

Productivity breeds productivity..
    Working but in a weeks-long lull at the moment
    hoarding time and space

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Be objective about it. Write in a journal or something about how you're feeling about it. Come back a few days later and read what you were thinking at the time. Do it every couple of days and notice any changes/patterns in what you're thinking/feeling.

JAVO's got some good advice.

When I get apathetic, it's usually because I've gotten in a slump or plateaued out. Sometimes when I throw something different into the usual mix, do something out of the ordinary instead of the same old drill that it'll help 'reboot' me.

Sometimes there's nothing I can do to fix it.
    The heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes you just have to let things run their course.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    Be objective about it. Write in a journal or something about how you're feeling about it. Come back a few days later and read what you were thinking at the time. Do it every couple of days and notice any changes/patterns in what you're thinking/feeling.
    I do keep a journal, and it suffers from the same neglect. In one night, I will write pages upon pages and then . . . nothing. For a long time. I cannot make myself do it.

When I get apathetic, it's usually because I've gotten in a slump or plateaued out. Sometimes when I throw something different into the usual mix, do something out of the ordinary instead of the same old drill that it'll help 'reboot' me.
    How do you sustain the momentum of the reboot?

Sometimes there's nothing I can do to fix it.
    The heart wants what the heart wants. Sometimes you just have to let things run their course.
    Ooh la la that is depressing.
    hoarding time and space

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

From Office Space:

Peter Gibbons: The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

Unhelpful, but funny!

Actually, in this fabulous movie, he just starts doing what he wants to do and makes him come alive. It's not that he doesn't care about anything, it's that he does not care about what he is expected by society to do.

Take note.