User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I am bored with everything and not motivated to pursue any of my prior interests. I briefly get jazzed up and start doing them again but lose steam really quickly.
    I cannot focus sometimes because I get jazzed about a million things that i want to do all NOW. I waste time in idle pursuits with low but immediate rewards.
    I cannot be arsed to do anything of value to me, because it won't be to my liking given my low energy levels interest.
    I can completely relate to this ^ ^ the thing for me is its apathy not depression, I'm happy just non-productive and I'm lacking the motivation to commit to overcoming it

I do find writing helps understand but it doesn't bring motivation. It's rather frustrating. For now I'm trying to cut back on anything that is part of a schedule so I don't feel obligated to do anything I don't desire (besides work) and am trying to be more social as, although it can be draining, I find being around others uplifting.

Default Apathy, Gratitude and Hope

Give me your poor, your brilliant, your witty suggestions, yearning to help . . . me.
    Christ.
    Ok. Let's hear them people. When you are in a prolonged state of "just don't care", what do you do to stimulate enthusiasm for the things you at some point thought mattered?
    Two thousand years ago, apathy was called, "accidie".

And it was a sin. And it was a sin very close to despair which is the only sin that can't be forgiven.

However the virtue of hope corresponds to the vice of accidie or apathy.

And the way to hope is through gratitude.

I remember gratitude burst its way through to me by a group of friends I loved at University. We formed a Society and invited others to join us and they did.

I remember the very moment - it was an autumn day beside the lake and we were burying each other in leaves and taking pictures. It was as though the fullness of life was shining within me. And I was grateful.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Apathy: how do you overcome it?
    You make it sound like a bad thing.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INXP

I watched The Great Dictator a few hours ago, and had to control my breathing so that I didn't burst out crying at the end.

Yet, this was my thread.

What did I do?: Went to the doctors, apparently had moderate depression, and was given Prozac. I think it had a placebo effect, as I was immediately feeling better within the first two weeks, when it's not supposed to.

I think it was the kick in the but I needed to get me on a better track.

'though since going to the doctors, I haven't really had a chance to go back to my old ways. I've been surrounded by stimulating people, and haven't been stuck with my parents.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I watched The Great Dictator a few hours ago, and had to control my breathing so that I didn't burst out crying at the end.

Yet, this was my thread.

What did I do?: Went to the doctors, apparently had moderate depression, and was given Prozac. I think it had a placebo effect, as I was immediately feeling better within the first two weeks, when it's not supposed to.

'though since going to the doctors, I haven't really had a chance to go back to my old ways. I've been surrounded by stimulating people, and haven't been stuck with my parents.
    Look, Colmena, I may be wrong but you strike me as a sensitive, intelligent person with some courage.

If this is true, you need to find ways of developing your sensitivity and intelligence.

The fact that you like being surrounded by stimulating people is a way for you to go. And you will find other ways as well.

I think you are a delightful person and you have my respect.

So I suggest you find ways of discovering your own delight and treating it with respect.

Victor.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Regular exercise will help stabilize your mood on a chemical level.
    Yes, though I do not think I am in a bad mood most days. I am more cheerful than not . . . a cheerful numb, if such a thing can be said to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    This is called depression. You need to get out of the state first, then you need to absolutely refuse to allow yourself to get depressed. Go to your doc and get some antidepressants.

Then get this book:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is it still depression if you are not sad most times? It is not that I have the blues. I don't. I laugh a fair amount everyday (and keep looking for things that amuse me). I have been sad-depressed before and that was more . . . acute, and unmistakably depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I can completely relate to this ^ ^ the thing for me is its apathy not depression, I'm happy just non-productive and I'm lacking the motivation to commit to overcoming it

I do find writing helps understand but it doesn't bring motivation. It's rather frustrating. For now I'm trying to cut back on anything that is part of a schedule so I don't feel obligated to do anything I don't desire (besides work) and am trying to be more social as, although it can be draining, I find being around others uplifting.
    Yes, this sounds like me, too. When I force myself to have the energy for other people, I enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Two thousand years ago, apathy was called, "accidie".

And it was a sin. And it was a sin very close to despair which is the only sin that can't be forgiven.

However the virtue of hope corresponds to the vice of accidie or apathy.

And the way to hope is through gratitude.
    Thanks for the suggestion but I am not an ingrate.

Yet, this was my thread.

Hmm . . . but while you were depressed were you not aware that that is what it was?
    Hoping the self-treatment works.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INXP

Hmm . . . but while you were depressed were you not aware that that is what it was?
    Hoping the self-treatment works.
    Was I aware it was a placebo effect? Yes. (if it was a placebo effect. I think it was). But I didn't care. I was feeling better. -I think a placebo effect is more powerful than drugs-

The mind can do weird and wonderful things, but I think a catalyst is needed if you're in a rut.

Some trade-off weighing is likely needed, of course. I'm far from out of the water, I'm just glad I have some strength of feeling again, that I can be moved and inspired.
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    intp

Was I aware it was a placebo effect?
    No. Were you aware you were depressed? I ask because I am trying to see if I am misdiagnosing (apathy v. depression).
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTJ

No. Were you aware you were depressed? I ask because I am trying to see if I am misdiagnosing (apathy v. depression).
    Before taking medicine your GP recommends, I would talk to a psychiatrist or psychologist. Discuss you options with them, counseling with meds, just counseling, just meds, no treatment. Make sure you make an informed decision about whatever you take.

It could be depression, but it sounds more like you are just worn out by things and need a break.

Sometimes trying a new hobbie or something new can help. Some people get board with the same things and need to switch things regularly.

Ilah

MBTI
    INXP

Oh I see. Sorry.

Vague. Complex. Subjective.

Are you happy?
    Are you content?

The disappointment with your apathy sounds like depression, to me. How long have you been apathetic? Have your circumstances changed (can you see causation)

'though obviously a therapists opinion counts for a lot more.

Yes, I would say I was depressed. The sheer contrast to how I was before suggested to me that something was very very wrong.
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.