User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    So we still don't know the suicide rates of those who haven't undergone surgery. I'll keep looking.
    Not to mention there are a lot of health problems associated with playing with the hormone balance in the body. Once you get it right you're okay, but it could take years and events can change that balance. Working the body against its natural inclinations puts strain all over.

It's a very, very small portion of the population... Truly, studies would have to put together data from several countries all at once to create data large enough. I would also be interested in suicide rates of non-surgery or pre-surgery transgenders... and the portion of those that committed suicide that also had depression.. Because I think depression might be a bigger contributor than the actual transgender issue itself.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge
    Likes PocketFullOf, Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Long-Term Follow-Up of Transsexual Persons Undergoing Sex Reassignment Surgery: Cohort Study in Sweden

This study looks interesting in that it follows every transsexual person who've undergone the gender reassignment procedure in Sweden from 1973 to 2003.

So we still don't know the suicide rates of those who haven't undergone surgery. I'll keep looking.
    From the article:

"Conclusions: Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group"

That's a fair statement in terms of the last clause. Surgery can alleviate the dysphoria, but typically the social stigma and financial pressures + the large losses experienced by transitioners can still greatly impact one's life and happiness. (This is what happened to Mike/Christine.) Continued support is crucial.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes kyuuei, Thalassa liked this post

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I got a whiff of the New American article a day or two ago. Aside from the huge bias in the source and the increasing attack on transpeople now because they get far more exposure in the news and with gender protection laws, it doesn't seem to mesh with actual surveys of surgery satisfaction, which is far far higher than satisfaction with some basic surgeries that the average people can get. There's also an incredible amount of screening that goes into this process, which some people bitch about but in the end is for the best. The few people I've seen publicized in the Daily News and similar rags seem to be the sort that had some kind of crisis, circumvented the system because they had the money or resources (rushing into it), then regretted it and refused to accept the blame for their mistake.

For my personal experience with the community, in the last seven years, I've seen only one person who was unhappy enough to decide she'd rather live as a woman who still had her penis, and she never blamed the doctors or seemed to be 'imbalanced' about it. She made the best decision she could at the time, and sadly she realized after some years that she made a mistake, despite being properly screened. (note that she doesn't want to be a man; she just realized she was happy living as a woman while retaining her male anatomy.) Otherwise I know tens to hundreds of people whose lives were changed for the better through transition, to whatever degree they needed.

For myself, I've never ever regretted it. For someone who doubts everything in her life (strong P), this is the one thing I've ever been most certain about, before and after. I experienced a lot of misery from childhood on, for a few decades, and tried many many things both in the secular and the religious world. My situation (as for many) existed long before gender psychologists became involved.

I do think proper screening and taking the process in a thoughtful rather than rushed way is paramount... but this is what reputable doctors insist on anyway. It's only been the last few years when politics got (somewhat) out of the way and they started letting medical doctors actually determine whether someone could legally change their gender and how they were being treated, and where we are finally looking for some kind of insurance coverage based on medical assessment versus just being excluded and having to pay out of pocket.

Edit: I'll post more later about the individuals mentioned in this article; I know who some of them are, especially Mike Penner / Christine Daniels.
    I would have never guessed you were born male. Given your family's fundamentalist religious background, it must be tense between you and your family. I want you to know that I accept you and your identity.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
    ...Given your family's fundamentalist religious background, it must be tense between you and your family...
    Focusing just on this part, this ties into the stress and 'damage' that occurs from the act of the transition -- reverberations -- even if you finally feel at peace within your own body. That part (incongruence with self) has been corrected; but if family, friends, and/or your former support groups (like church) have rejected you and want nothing more to do with you, now you can experience a bunch of issues stemming around acceptance, shame, abandonment, etc., and you've lost all the people you normally leaned on to get through such experiences. this is why psych issues and suicidal tendencies can exist beyond transition, even if the process did the job it was supposed to in terms of body and identity congruence.

(I know you get that, due to your experience with JW; when someone leaves a religious group, they can feel like they did the right thing, but the resultant rejection/shaming by those who had a certain place in one's life can still be devastating, and you have to develop a new support group. This forum, for me, was my support group when I went through this experience; I don't know what I would have done without many of the people here at the time.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

From the article:

"Conclusions: Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group"

That's a fair statement in terms of the last clause. Surgery can alleviate the dysphoria, but typically the social stigma and financial pressures + the large losses experienced by transitioners can still greatly impact one's life and happiness. (This is what happened to Mike/Christine.) Continued support is crucial.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Likes Hard, PocketFullOf, Ivy, senza tema, Evee and 6 others liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I did a simple Google on this this morning, to see what popped up online. Here's a list of links from the first page that seems fair enough, and reference the studies in question (or are published papers on the topic).

Quality of Life in Treated Transsexuals | Transas City
    Medscape: Medscape Access
    Factors Associated with Satisfaction or Regret Following Male-to-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery - Springer
    http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Reg..._Follow-Up.pdf
    Is it common for patients to experience surgery regret or remorse?
    http://www.transhealthcare.org/sexua...on-srs-brazil/

There are many more, but one of the links actually provides summaries on a number of studies.

Likes Hard, PocketFullOf, Tellenbach liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

I did a simple Google on this this morning, to see what popped up online. Here's a list of links from the first page that seems fair enough, and reference the studies in question (or are published papers on the topic).

Quality of Life in Treated Transsexuals | Transas City
    Medscape: Medscape Access
    Factors Associated with Satisfaction or Regret Following Male-to-Female Sex Reassignment Surgery - Springer
    http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Reg..._Follow-Up.pdf
    Is it common for patients to experience surgery regret or remorse?
    http://www.transhealthcare.org/sexua...on-srs-brazil/

There are many more, but one of the links actually provides summaries on a number of studies.

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Tellenbach liked this post

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

What’s scary is you still feel like you have a penis when you’re sexually aroused. It’s like phantom limb syndrome.
    ... Yet phantom limb syndrome isn't common after MTF sex reassignment surgery since most of those nerves are reused for the vagina.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    ... Yet phantom limb syndrome isn't common after MTF sex reassignment surgery since most of those nerves are reused for the vagina.
    Yeah, there's a period of brain remapping that occurs and eventually your brain figures it all out.

Likes Raffaella, The Wailing Specter liked this post

WOW that is crazy about the tissue and nerves and remapping! I never knew...

We are leaning about these concepts in my curriculum but I never thought to apply it to gender reassignment surgery.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.