User Tag List

Default Comfort objects (blankets, dolls, animals)

The studies and articles I've seen on the subject have consistently stated that comfort objects are not harmful to children, and in many cases will actually help with transitions. Some adults even keep them as they grow up and some of these retain their attachment.

I never had one, but I did have stuffed animals as a child and I kept my favorites, eventually giving them to my daughter.

Any opinions on comfort objects here? Anyone have a comfort object to talk about?
    Bork bork bork.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I have a stuffed Miss Piggy doll that I've had since I was born. Ironic, considering she's my least favorite Muppet.

Speaking of Muppets, I love your avatar.
    Likes santoku liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by santoku View Post
    The studies and articles I've seen on the subject have consistently stated that comfort objects are not harmful to children, and in many cases will actually help with transitions. Some adults even keep them as they grow up and some of these retain their attachment.

I never had one, but I did have stuffed animals as a child and I kept my favorites, eventually giving them to my daughter.

Any opinions on comfort objects here? Anyone have a comfort object to talk about?
    I have no issue with people having comfort objects - children and adults. My sons were blanket kids. They eventually outgrew those but they still find a lot of comfort in certain bedding items, like comforters and pillows. I never had anything specific I can recall though.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I kinda have a favorite pillow. I can't sleep really easily without it.
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...an-d87e2tg.gif
    Enneagream: 5w4 “The Iconoclast”
    Alignment: True Neutral

Just open up your eyes, why don't you grow up and see?
    But what the hell is "growing up" and tell me when will I be?
    Can a single person out there just explain it to me?
    Hey, just tell me how... It's not like I care now.

3ds FC: 4227-3113-2555

Quote Originally Posted by santoku View Post
    Anyone have a comfort object to talk about?
    I never had them as a child but as an adult I've grown rather attached to a large aventurine sphere that I purchased about a decade ago. I sleep with it in the palm of my hand. The smooth glassy surface and slightly cold feel is somehow comforting and I drift off the sleep easily that way. I also have a smaller sphere made of a curious stone mined in Tasmania. It's serpentine with stichite in it, and while I love the look of it I always get nightmares if I sleep holding onto it. Last night I awoke to see a woman standing next to my bed, before I became fully lucent. Not nice.

MBTI
    yupp

I had a cookie monster doll that I carried every where with me when I was two. all my pictures have me holding him (cookie monster was also my favorite sesame street character). I slept with my pillow i had in the crib (it was care bears) til i was 8 or 9
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes gromit liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have a Snoopy that's wearing a pumpkin costume. Got him when I was less than a year old. He literally has stitches everywhere and a hair clip on one of his ears. I would scream if I couldn't find him or take him somewhere with me until I was in first grade and couldn't sleep without him until I was eleven or twelve.

Not my thing at all and never has been. The only way for me to get attached to physical objects is if they carry strong emotional memories and associations with people I love. And even then, I forget those emotional resonances if they object is not directly in view. It's not like this ever present totem in my mind.