• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Comfort objects (blankets, dolls, animals)

santoku

The studies and articles I've seen on the subject have consistently stated that comfort objects are not harmful to children, and in many cases will actually help with transitions. Some adults even keep them as they grow up and some of these retain their attachment.

I never had one, but I did have stuffed animals as a child and I kept my favorites, eventually giving them to my daughter.

Any opinions on comfort objects here? Anyone have a comfort object to talk about?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a stuffed Miss Piggy doll that I've had since I was born. Ironic, considering she's my least favorite Muppet.

Speaking of Muppets, I love your avatar.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
The studies and articles I've seen on the subject have consistently stated that comfort objects are not harmful to children, and in many cases will actually help with transitions. Some adults even keep them as they grow up and some of these retain their attachment.

I never had one, but I did have stuffed animals as a child and I kept my favorites, eventually giving them to my daughter.

Any opinions on comfort objects here? Anyone have a comfort object to talk about?

I have no issue with people having comfort objects - children and adults. My sons were blanket kids. They eventually outgrew those but they still find a lot of comfort in certain bedding items, like comforters and pillows. I never had anything specific I can recall though.

Empressc

MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kinda have a favorite pillow. I can't sleep really easily without it.

Chthonic

Anyone have a comfort object to talk about?

I never had them as a child but as an adult I've grown rather attached to a large aventurine sphere that I purchased about a decade ago. I sleep with it in the palm of my hand. The smooth glassy surface and slightly cold feel is somehow comforting and I drift off the sleep easily that way. I also have a smaller sphere made of a curious stone mined in Tasmania. It's serpentine with stichite in it, and while I love the look of it I always get nightmares if I sleep holding onto it. :horror: Last night I awoke to see a woman standing next to my bed, before I became fully lucent. Not nice.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I had a cookie monster doll that I carried every where with me when I was two. all my pictures have me holding him (cookie monster was also my favorite sesame street character). I slept with my pillow i had in the crib (it was care bears) til i was 8 or 9

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a Snoopy that's wearing a pumpkin costume. Got him when I was less than a year old. He literally has stitches everywhere and a hair clip on one of his ears. I would scream if I couldn't find him or take him somewhere with me until I was in first grade and couldn't sleep without him until I was eleven or twelve.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not my thing at all and never has been. The only way for me to get attached to physical objects is if they carry strong emotional memories and associations with people I love. And even then, I forget those emotional resonances if they object is not directly in view. It's not like this ever present totem in my mind.