User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: fear of being center of attention

I am never the center of attention, so I wouldn't really know how that feels. Sure I have spoken in front of people, but I know half of them aren't paying attention or even caring about what I am saying anyway. I am just a tiny little insignificant spec in their day, they will forget me sooner or later. At least that's what I tell myself to push my anxiety away, it's actually a rather soothing thought, though I can see how some people might find it disturbing...

I have a love/hate relationship with it.

I've been in jobs that have called for public speaking and I enjoy being in front of people and talking about something that I am sure about. But if I'm out of practice I hope for a podium because it's a guarantee that my buttocks will be quivering with fright and it robs me of credibility if people see me doing a sort-of standing hula while emoting.

It passes after a few moments and a bit of goodwill from my audience.

When I was a young thing I was complaining to a friend about how I hate to be stared at and she answered, "Well, look at you! You've got on that red frou-frou top pulled down to bare your shoulders, your shorts are too short and you've got a danged flower tucked behind one ear. Make up your mind!" *Blush.*

(Later she told me that she planned to wear a purple turban to her daughter's wedding and asked me if I thought that might be "too much." Heh. Like attracts like?)

I still don't get that "negative attention is better than none" thing that some people do, though.

I think with age a person become more sure of who they are and so then less uncomfortable. And in a society that puts little value on the elderly I've discovered that the general populace doesn't pay that much attention anyway. That gives my inner rascal a chance to come out and play!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer