User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't like being the center of attention. It's not the same as being shy. I can be quite open, one on one, but in groups I get quiet cuz I can't focus on everyone at once.

I've been in a couple weddings. Usually I'm so dressed up, made up, and have my hair done up so that I don't really feel like *me,* more like a project I worked on for the occasion that is now on display. Heh. It also helps that you don't have to talk to be a bridesmaid.

I sorta disconnect from the situation until it's over. It's not so bad.
    "There ain't no doubt in no one's mind that love's the finest thing around. Whisper something soft and kind." --James Taylor

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

In a group, sometimes, I present ideas that bring me to the center of attention. In that situation people usually expect you to take the lead role. I don't like it because then I cease to be private and spontaneous, and lose my mental peace and independence.

MBTI
    INTj

Once you're at the center, you will forget where you are and cease to be nervous. The anticipation is the worse part.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post

For example, in class, I always participated.
    Yeah, I participated in class, too. But eventually, if no one else was prone to it, I'd stop because I didn't want that to be my Role. I don't like pressure. I have acted in plays though. It helped if I didn't think anyone in the audience had any expectation that I would or should do well.
    I don't wanna!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I was Peter Pan in my school play. I would participate in class too, if I knew the answer or had a good guess.. but this assumes that I wasn't daydreaming and zoning out, which I did a lot in the easy classes.

When it comes to being the center of attention, I guess it depends on if it's negative or positive attention. I don't mind it, but I don't desperately seek it out like some people.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't like being the center of attention in the rousing-leader alpha person sense. Otherwise, I don't really care as long as I'm not the focus for too long.
    Still using a needle to break apart a grain of sand.

MBTI
    ENTP

BEING the centre of attention isn't a problem for me, as long as i don't REALIZE I am

Cos the minute I do, I freeze, start to mumble and apologize, then shut up.

At a wedding party, everyone's eyes are fixed on the bride and secondarily, as an afterthought, the groom. But if it helps, the secret of the ENTP's typical easiness with attention is just not noticing it, being so absorbed in what you're doing that you don't notice. Like imagine you're reading a really good book and then your mom comes in the room and starts talking to you and asking you stuff about yourself, and you just answer in an offhand way whilst not really coming out of the book in your head? That kind of feeling.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I have no fear of being the center of attention.

Now, that being said, I haven't always liked it when it happened. Like when I was a kid, there was a time the much older next door neighbor dude gave me a wedgie and other kids were laughing at me and calling me names. I never liked that kind of attention. But most of the time I was pretty invisible. I would've done anything to get the kind of attention my son gets. I would've been king of the school.

Nowadays, I tend to only be the center of attention in environments that I'm already comfortable with, like at work or out with friends. Then I enjoy making people laugh and I enjoy sharing my experiences and talking about myself.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTP

Realizing it is the key imo. I have no problem getting involved to that degree as long as I dont realize it, basically its being hyperfocused. Its good because its sort of like a built in cockiness analyzer. As soon as the intensity wears off or somebody draws me out I start to retreat and humble myself by being aware of shortcomings, doubting everything and diffusing attention elsewhere.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

You guys are on target with the problem of "realizing" that you're the center of attention. Consciously anticipating it almost always leads to a panic attack/mental shut-down. If you have to be in a situation like that, my advice would be to just turn your brain off and go with the flow. I mean really turn your brain off, lol. Anxiety may be your first reaction, but harping on it will benefit you in no way whatsoever. It's a waste of good energy. I'm sure that's redundant to you as you give yourself similar advice, but it is a trance that can be snapped out of. Most of my life has been one big social anxiety attack, and for the longest time I'd get stuck in those anxiety cycles. But now I consciously try to say to myself, "this is no big deal, realistically nothing devastating could happen. The bad scenarios are all in my mind." The more you drive this into your head and disconnect your thoughts from thinking up bad scenarios (seriously, just stop thinking! I know it's hard but it helps you become more in tune with your environment, which is calming), the better it will be. Keep in mind that once you're in the middle of it, and once it's over, you'll wonder what you were so worried about. Even if you made a clumsy mistake...I mean, c'mon, people know you, they're not going to banish you.