User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

trust me when I say I have ONE friend in the same city as me and she's not even here this month. But I still have this fear which is probably why I can't make friends. I just tell myself I don't want friends, I'm fine being by myself. Part of me knows this isn't true, but the more stubborn part of me doesn't agree. I'm talking more on past experiences (like highschool)or family reunions, I'm fine as long as I'm not expected to talk, or stand in front of people. Yes I can't just stand on stage and do nothing.
    The good thing is, noone of this crowd did hear that ?!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

hmm
    on stage, i am at home
    i feel amazingly free

at open mic nights, i get tense
    my intestines come outta my ears
    i can barely play the song, let alone sing it

so the more people, the better
    because the concentration is spread out
    its harder to pin down the reactions of individuals

and it doesn't help that i analyze things and people while onstage
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Even though I hated doing piano recitals when I was a kid, and I hated even more my swim meets in during my high school years.. (maybe that's because I was wearing a Speedo? hmm).. I find that now I really enjoy the chance to be in front of people.

The past couple of times I've done public speaking have included speaking to about 200-300 people, translating for the company president in front of the board and high-level managers.

Getting started is always the hardest part. Once I get going, I let the adrenaline carry me the rest of the way. I'm usually complimented on my speaking. But I especially enjoy it when there isn't an EXACT thing (script.. whatever) that I have to stick to. The flexibility allows me to help cover up any mistakes that I might have made.

I still cannot do solo music performances. If I'm playing with another 2-3 people then I'm fine.

I always liked it. But I'm a showoff, so I should not post in this thread.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    ISTP

I definitely don't enjoy being the center of attention at all. I avoid it if it's feasible to, and if not, I can tough it out. If I am the center of attention (or know I will be soon), I tend to get very nervous internally, although externally, no one has a clue. I've gotten complements for my confidence and skill in doing presentations well, when I've been extremely nervous mentally.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ISTJ

For me it always depends... If I feel secure about something, I enjoy being the center of attention. Like when I have to give a presentation about something that I know a lot about and am passionate about, then it's not a problem at all. Or if I have had success with something before. For me, it's all about feeling secure about my own abilities. If I am, I enjoy it. If I am not, I'd rather hide and disappear.

And yes, I do get nervous in both cases. But it's such a good feeling when that nervousness disappears once you're there, being the center of attention.

MBTI
    INxJ

Too much attention makes me really uncomfortable

MBTI
    INFJ

I guess I get cold sweats.

MBTI
    enfp

i love public speaking. i wish i could do it every day.

but sometimes public attenion gives me a headache.

like that game "mafia" . i hate that game. i get a buzz in my head when i play it.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Nah, I am not afraid of being the center of attention. Of course, I have a healthy bit of nerves before I speak, which drives me to perfectionism. However, I do not have a stifling, horrible feeling that makes me feel like

OH GOD NO PLEASE SPARE ME THE TORTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For example, in class, I always participated. On one level, because it is the smart thing to do - you get better grades. Sometimes, however, I participated because I loved the topic and had some really passionate feelings and ideas regarding the matter. Never was afraid...unless I happened to forget my homework. I never liked admitting that I forgot and/or did not get a chance to do my homework, which frequently happened because I am a spacy idiot at times.

Another example: in seventh and eighth grade I participated in a poetry contest at my school and went onto regionals, winning first prize. That was great!!! They said my voice was so powerful that they had to stop doing it the room next door. OOOPS!

I also loved acting in seventh and eighth grade. Won a supporting actress award.

After grammar school, though, acting got put on hold because school became more of a priority. So I became a nerd.

However, I have always loved participating in debates. When I am in debate mode, I turn into this awful combo of INTJ and ENTJ where the opposition just gets steamrolled with a panzer tank division. Made me rather unpopular at university.

Nowadays, after leaving this school environment, I have developed my Fi and Te too much to really LOVE it anymore. I have become much more cynical over time....DOH!

Now my extroversion goes into my teaching, where my extroversion really comes out. One of the "beginner" mistakes that I always used to do was talking too much. DOH. Now I let others do the talking, and I can talk to my husband, friends, or rant on MBTI!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.