User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default dream analysis - Jung, archetypes, MBTI and Beebe

Is any one here into dream analysis based on a Jungian/archtype school? What do you think of my thoughts on dream analysis?

I have very vivid dreams and some times I do Jungian [influenced] dream analysis on them based on archetypes.

Generally I used what I think of as the standard archtypes. Note: I am female, for males the gender would be reversed.

For example:
    mother = my inner parent, the the supportive part of me
    husband, brother = my "male" side
    my daughter, or a young child = my inner child

Recently I came accross Beebe's chart where archtypes are paired up for different functions.

Dominant= hero
    secondary=good parent (same gender)
    tertiary=child
    inferior=anima/animus (males "female" side, females "male" side)
    5th = opposing personality
    6th = witch
    7th = trickster
    8th = demon

So if I were to base dream analysis on this, based on my type it would be:

mother=Te
    daughter, child=Fi
    husband, brother=Se

The villians in my dreams might correspond to one of my shadow function. Also based on what little I know of Beebe, 5th - 8th are negative versions of the trait that is 4 higher. So for example if the mother in the dream was not a "good parent" and mean or disaproving, that means it is representing my 6th trait, Ti, not my second trait, Te.

Ilah

Default Hrm...

I'm afraid I know next to nothing of dream analysis. I do know that I have remarkably vivid dreams almost every time I sleep, often more than one... and recurring dreams that return to me repeatedly over periods of my life.

If I had to choose a single most recurring theme, it is me being hunted by something terrible. :horor: Sometimes it's a red flying fire-breathing dragon, sometimes a zombied mob, or a crazed chainsaw killer, but 'most always something awful is hunting me down and I am always running running hiding running. Analyze that! Well, in truth it's probably a pretty straight-forward interpretation.

Is there a good information source on the dream interpretation you're referring to?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTJ

There seem to be two basic schools of dream interperation Frued and Jung. With Frued almost everything is related to sex. With Jung, it is mostly about archtypes. Jung, and lots of Jung inspired authors wrote about archtypes. these archetypes can be applies to various things like literature, art, movies and dream analysis

This website gives some basics.

Dream Moods: Dream Theories: Carl Jung

Beebe uses Jung's archtypes to relate to the function, something I had not seen previously. I believe this is an original idea of Beebe's.

Beebe does not like his archtypes to dream analysis at all, that was my thought on linking it back to dreams.

Dreams don't always give us answers. Often times they give us questions. So your question is what are you running from in real life? What are you hiding from? If you find that and stop running and hiding, the nightmares will stop.

I don't say this lightly. I had really bad nightmares at least once a week for about 20 years. When I started on self exploration, self discovery they slacked off. I guess I got credit for trying even though the answers have sometimes been slow.

Ilah

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    There seem to be two basic schools of dream interperation Frued and Jung. With Frued almost everything is related to sex. With Jung, it is mostly about archtypes. Jung, and lots of Jung inspired authors wrote about archtypes. these archetypes can be applies to various things like literature, art, movies and dream analysis
    C'mon, sex makes us feel uncomfortable and the archetypes make us feel comfortable.

So Freud was a psychoanalyst but Jung found his analysis too uncomfortable so he became a Guru.

And this is exactly why Jung is our Guru - he makes us feel comfortable.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I can't say I apply archetypes necessarily, but I do write down my dreams when I remember them. Sometimes my dreams are somewhat vivid and easy to recall, but most of the time I can't remember them. There's at least one major theme that occurs in almost all my dreams and a few signature landscapes that re-appear in my dreams once in a while.

I am very intrigued by that last fact--that I have a few made-up landscapes in my head, which usually look totally made-up (but still something you'd find on Planet Earth) yet "feel" like they are a combination of several locations of personal significance IRL. If I dreamed vividly often enough I could write a story based around them. (A friend of mine actually did write a book around one of his common dream landscapes)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ

And being comfortable is a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    C'mon, sex makes us feel uncomfortable and the archetypes make us feel comfortable.

So Freud was a psychoanalyst but Jung found his analysis too uncomfortable so he became a Guru.

And this is exactly why Jung is our Guru - he makes us feel comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilah View Post
    And being comfortable is a bad thing?
    It is a nice way of avoiding our neurosis.

It's a nice way of avoiding finding out who we are.

It enables us to continue to project our ressentiment onto others.

It enables us to avoid taking responsibility for our emotional life.

It enables us to remain comfortable at other's expense.

The Guru offers us comfort rather than growing up.

In fact Carl Jung failed to individuate from his father and failed to grow up.

And so Carl is the perfect pied piper for the juvenile - for the perpetually juvenile.

A Guru is the problem, not the solution.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It is a nice way of avoiding our neurosis.

It's a nice way of avoiding finding out who we are.

It enables us to continue to project our ressentiment onto others.

It enables us to avoid taking responsibility for our emotional life.

It enables us to remain comfortable at other's expense.
    Yes...

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I, on the other hand, do not see why Jung's personal shortcomings make his theory of archetypes any less relevant or helpful when interpreting and analyzing my own shortcomings for the sake of growing past them.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I, on the other hand, do not see why Jung's personal shortcomings make his theory of archetypes any less relevant or helpful when interpreting and analyzing my own shortcomings for the sake of growing past them.
    Because the heart of therapy is rapport.

Your heart and the heart of the therapist come very close.

So if your therapist has failed to work through his own neurosis, he will fail to help you work through your neurosis.

Look, Gurus need followers and followers need Gurus.

It is a way of perpetually remaining a child rather than doing the hard work of growing up.

And if you fail to mature, eventually you become rancid.