First 123

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    714 sx/sp
    Socionics
    infj Ni

The nifty back scratch tool for the epicure:

"3. Is this something that is viable for me right now?

Sometimes the source of our FOMO is indeed something we wish we were doing, but, it's not the right time or the best time for us to be doing that thing.

Something that we've mentioned before on the site, and that I think is incredibly important, is embracing the idea of different seasons in your life [...] Even if you love skiing, there's no sense in pining for it in the middle of July, and you're better off concentrating on what you can only do during the season you're currently in (swimming! wake boarding!)" Truth. So do what you need to do it.
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness, preferring silence to everything that it should be." Edgar Allen Poe

"There's a magic inside,
    Just waiting to burst out.
    There world is a goldmine-
    That will melt tomorrow."M83

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    existential checkpoints, in a way. Or at least, I think that's what this article is encouraging. I like the semi-Zen approach of "observing" feelings - noting the FOMO feeling

I like your song lyrics from before... they tie right into the whole e7 thing, as far as it manifests for me - do you feel that, too? I know that I use diving into little projects and making future plans as a way to distract myself from the pain and/or tedium of daily life. Sometimes that's helpful and therapeutic, but other times I think it's me running away from making big choices about things I could be doing to change my reality, and focusing on temporary relief instead. It's great to help plan the family vacation to whatever beach and to absolutely soak in every moment of it while there, but then when it's over, I'm left hollow and facing the starkness of whatever frustrating circumstances I was so eager to rush away from. I'm slowly, slowly trying to adjust my life such that I look forward to returning to reality. It's been somewhat successful thus far.
    I like that, existential checkpoints. I'm learning how to not laugh at using the word/phrase/acronym? FOMO.

Well 2 lyric sets. First, Buddy Guy (Praise be to Him), where he actually IS more zen. Or at least that's how I read it, "damn rats in your race, all on a hamster wheel."

Everyone was passing me so fast, I,
    Thought I was standin' still.

Everybody's in a hurry,
    And there ain't nobody goin' nowhere

But I'd say the second set, Pink Floyd, the more explicitly darker human escapes from being unfulfilled (and I might add he covers just about the majority, impressive), having "little projects" is probably better than "getting into fights" (though I certainly turned to that in my past, albeit in a focused, trained way. still insane to some, I suppose) and probably better than "dropping bombs" or "keeping people as pets" (i loved that one).

If you've covered the bases of you and yours, I don't see anything wrong with a little escapism. Projects often do the opposite, plant you right in the moment. If your head is in a wonderland in the future, could get unhealthy if not realistic.

Big choices for a better life, huh. Do you even know what those would be? Hard to make them if you don't hear even a faint calling. Maybe you do. They're certainly not worth ignoring, if they ring true to your heart and path.

And life isn't a vacation, and you will have to come back to reality. It will always be an ebb and a flow. But perhaps, if you know where to put your energy, it can be a reality that's closer to a vacation : ) or at least, I'd like to think so. Where to put that dang energy though? That's the rub.

Farkin' FOMO.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Actually i rarely experience this fear, but I have the opposite problem, a fear of actually doing something where it feels soothing and comfortable to give up the opportunity than to take it on. Which is exactly what I do the vast majority of the time.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Actually i rarely experience this fear, but I have the opposite problem, a fear of actually doing something where it feels soothing and comfortable to give up the opportunity than to take it on. Which is exactly what I do the vast majority of the time.
    One person's FOMO is another's, um, what's the acronym for:

Without going out of my door,
    I can know all things on earth
    without looking out of my window,
    I can know the ways of heaven.

The farther one travels
    the less one knows
    the less one really knows.

?

Actually please don't answer that IT-J
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    No intention of doing so.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I feel exhausted just reading the updates of my friends on Facebook...what they can pack into a day's holiday in terms of people, places and things to do!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    One person's FOMO is another's, um, what's the acronym for:

Without going out of my door,
    I can know all things on earth
    without looking out of my window,
    I can know the ways of heaven.

The farther one travels
    the less one knows
    the less one really knows.

?

OK, I'll answer "Basil Grant":

“You!” said Rupert, with some surprise, “you scarcely ever leave your hole to look at anything on the face of the earth.”
    Basil fitted on a formidable old white hat.
    “I scarcely ever,” he said, with an unconscious and colossal arrogance, “hear of anything on the face of the earth that I do not understand at once, without going to see it.”
    And he led the way out into the purple night.

"Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post