User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    Yeah, I think FOMO is more an indication of my internal sense of restlessness which I normally keep somewhat suppressed in everyday life ... and the sense that I don't have as many choices as I deserve.

- - - Updated - - -

What did you think it was gonna be about?
    less FB stuff, more what you (and others) referring to maybe... a bit of restlessness, and also not wanting to be left out of plans... even if I sometimes have plans of my own...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.
    Likes senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Can't say I relate to this at all. Not that that's much of a surprise given my enneagram. The only time I fret over this is if I know for a fact that it's a once and only moment that I need to be there for to experience. Even then the feeling seldom bothers me for long.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

This is a curious little thread and even though this may be reaching (I'm half awake again), I'm going to go ahead and post song lyrics of what many people may do during a FOMO phase. I'll spoiler it. Nothing to see here, move it along people:

I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes GarrotTheThief, SD45T-2 liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    This is a curious little thread and even though this may be reaching (I'm half awake again), I'm going to go ahead and post song lyrics of what many people may do during a FOMO phase. I'll spoiler it. Nothing to see here, move it along people:

not bad. i'm impressed. this is actually relevant. I would add a line: go on facebook.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Can't say I relate to this at all. Not that that's much of a surprise given my enneagram. The only time I fret over this is if I know for a fact that it's a once and only moment that I need to be there for to experience. Even then the feeling seldom bothers me for long.
    Same here. It explains the behavior of some e7s I know, though.
    Likes Hard, johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    less FB stuff, more what you (and others) referring to maybe... a bit of restlessness, and also not wanting to be left out of plans... even if I sometimes have plans of my own...
    Yeah, this article definitely gave it a social media spin. I think it's been around long before social media, though. I'm sure what you're talking about either ties in or is another manifestation of a similar grouping of feelings related to possibility, opportunity, and choice.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yeah, this article definitely gave it a social media spin. I think it's been around long before social media, though. I'm sure what you're talking about either ties in or is another manifestation of a similar grouping of feelings related to possibility, opportunity, and choice.
    After further research (basically urban dictionary), FOMO is like a small manifestation of an existential crisis.

FOMO
    "fear of missing out". The fear that if you miss a party or event you will miss out on something great

Even though he was exhausted, John's fomo got the best of him and he went to the party.

by Beaqon October 02, 2006

6914 upvotes 2022 downvotes
    boring.

As opposed to what I initially thought:

Existential Crisis
    A deep, obsessive concern with unanswered questions about the meaning of life and existence, resulting in the disruption of one's daily life and characterized by long or short-lasting bouts of apathy and depression.

"Dude, what's up with Steve?"
    "He's been reading a lot of Nietzsche and watching How the Universe Works on the Discovery Channel, now he's having an existential crisis."
    "One day I and everyone I love will be dead. We're so alone in the universe."

by Jimmy Banks November 25, 2012
    depressing.

Somewhere in the middle seems more interesting, and urban dictionary certainly is not an authority (though sometimes it's spot on).

Not to hijack your original article, and post. I thought that was very interesting, with some personal significance.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I know I have FOMOH and FOMOF and FOMOB. I never give much thought to social media. I love Twitter, (I don't use other social media) but if I don't check it for a few days, that's fine. It will all be there when I get back. I never get a feeling of emptiness or wishing I was doing something more fun and interesting. If I did, I would go do something more fun and interesting.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

My oldest step-daughter goes through FOMO every hour of every day of her life. It's because she is super-extroverted and so rambunctious.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    After further research (basically urban dictionary), FOMO is like a small manifestation of an existential crisis.

boring.

As opposed to what I initially thought:

depressing.

Somewhere in the middle seems more interesting, and urban dictionary certainly is not an authority (though sometimes it's spot on).

Not to hijack your original article, and post. I thought that was very interesting, with some personal significance.
    No problem at all, glad to have you adding on. I agree that sometimes Urban Dictionary is right on but this one's not doing it for me, either. So, for me, too, this is something that rates somewhere more serious than "sad because I'm not at someone's party" (don't think I've felt that like... ever?) but not quite up to "existential crisis". Though I think there's something existential about it - existential checkpoints, in a way. Or at least, I think that's what this article is encouraging. I like the semi-Zen approach of "observing" feelings - noting the FOMO feeling and judging it separately from its personal attachment.

I like your song lyrics from before... they tie right into the whole e7 thing, as far as it manifests for me - do you feel that, too? I know that I use diving into little projects and making future plans as a way to distract myself from the pain and/or tedium of daily life. Sometimes that's helpful and therapeutic, but other times I think it's me running away from making big choices about things I could be doing to change my reality, and focusing on temporary relief instead. It's great to help plan the family vacation to whatever beach and to absolutely soak in every moment of it while there, but then when it's over, I'm left hollow and facing the starkness of whatever frustrating circumstances I was so eager to rush away from. I'm slowly, slowly trying to adjust my life such that I look forward to returning to reality. It's been somewhat successful thus far.