• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which one would you rather have: The harsh truth or comforting lies?

BlackDog

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Truth. Preferably not presented brutally, but hey, sometimes we are in denial and a harsh presentation is what gets through. At least for me.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To me, comforting lies eventually lead to even harsher truths.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
95% of the time the "harsh truth" isn't all that accurate anyway. People usually operate with faulty information and everyone sees the world through some sort of filter. It's rarely possible to get all the facts you need about someone to make a precise assessment.

Most of the time, "objective criticism" isn't very objective.

and may be harmful to the recepient.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Harsh truth. Then you can make less of a fool out of yourself later on.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Not all truth is harsh.

....Some truths are like keys to shackles.

Not all lies are comforting.

....Some lies can destroy your life.

I simply want truth.

I will decide for myself if it is harsh or not.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
The honest answer is "it depends".

Usually, I do prefer people to be honest with me, so that I know where I stand with them. However there are certain things (appearance, image based things mainly - especially if it's in a sexual context) that I could get very hurt by and don't like being brought up. Those who say "truth, always"...well I am sure there are some situations where you don't tell the truth.

To be fair I only lie in three situations: to avoid offending somebody I care about, to avoid having to do something I don't want to do, or to get something I want. Hahaha.

I am not that bad though, I would never lie about anything impersonal for example. I don't respect people who are intellectually dishonest.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Harsh truth - says more about the personality of the person speaking it. There isn't usually any necessity to be harsh; the greater the truth surely the more need to share it in such a way that it can be received and acted upon? If that isn't the aim, then it is merely an accusation.

Comforting lies...no thanks. :nono:

ai116

Depends -
If I don't want to know something or hear about it I don't really need the harsh truth thrown at me ( say something about a persons past ) or if I'm hiding from some crazy psycho or if somebody is looking to kill me I don't want the other party to tell them the harsh truth of where I'm hiding -
Or if somebody is having a surprise party or present for me or knows I rather get some comforting lies before knowing the actual truth . However for the most part I'll pick harsh truth - but comforting lies aren't always bad .

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Needless to lie.
Truth forever and anyway, ..
why would I lie?
To shine infant of people?
As if I care.
As if I fear them.
As if it worth it.
If it’s shameful.
I’m already done blaming my self and started working on it.
Not all my deceptions are available on the poll so people can vote.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I need to know and tell the truth.
In certain cases the truth could just lead to an unnecessary form of pain that can't be coped but could be easily avoided, in that extreme situation, I'd rather lie. But is really hard to lie. It isn't my thing, truth will just spill out of my mouth wildly.

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
I require the harsh truth, and I give it out just as I would prefer it.