User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    the truth? i can't handle the truth!
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes AphroditeGoneAwry liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan of Beans View Post
    95% of the time the "harsh truth" isn't all that accurate anyway. People usually operate with faulty information and everyone sees the world through some sort of filter. It's rarely possible to get all the facts you need about someone to make a precise assessment.

Most of the time, "objective criticism" isn't very objective.
    There's some harsh truth to that.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

To be honest, I think I prefer comforting lies and assumptions sometimes to preserve my peace of mind and support the version of reality I want to believe in. But sometimes there are things I can't ignore even when I kinda want to, and there are other times when I genuinely want to be in touch with the truth, even if it's painful.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Truth has it's place. Lies have their place. Both co-exist. A time and place for everything. We can only hope we get the one we need at the right times.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    Who is her doctor to say what is the truth? Just because its true for the doctor that she has cancer, does that mean it's true for her? Can the doctors not recognize the subjectivity of their own data? Nobody can truly access the objective truth. they should learn to be a bit more humble about speaking up their so called "truth". Did her doctor not stop to consider how telling her she has cancer would make her feel?
    Much is said about doctors needing a good bedside manner. Most people interpret that to mean at least some of what you are suggesting, namely that they address patients' feelings about situations, and not just clinical realities. I suppose that is well and good for those who want or appreciate it, but the first is never a substitute for the second, as you seem to understand. "Bedside manner" to me is when a doctor takes the time to explain details of the situation, and to answer patient questions without being rushed, or focused on records and telemetry at the expense of direct conversation. A good example indeed.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

When I choose the lies, it's because I don't yet know they're lies.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
    When I choose the lies, it's because I don't yet know they're lies.
    Then they wouldn't be lies.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Aselleus View Post
    Truth has it's place. Lies have their place. Both co-exist. A time and place for everything. We can only hope we get the one we need at the right times.
    What is the time and place for lies?

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Then they wouldn't be lies.
    A lie is something the speaker knows to be untrue, not the listener.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What is the time and place for lies?
    For instance if you are struggling and have to stay strong for your family. Sometimes you have to lie and put on a happy face for them, cause if you show them pain it'll weaken their morale. Same with soldiers. A specific example of a timely placed lie is from the story "Number the Stars" (I think and I hope I got that right) anyways they give a girl meat to take to someone else, she is stopped by nazis and their dogs, she tells them what she is gonna do (deliver the meat) they see she is telling the truth and let her go. Turns out the meat was just to disguise something else she was transporting. If they had told the girl the truth however...she wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face to the soldiers and they would've investigated her more. In a way it's a big thing to be left in the dark on...but it protected her.

For more example we tell lies to kids all the time, because it's good to hope for better things, even if they are actually incredibly hard to achieve and accomplish. Because without that people might not try at all (for instance crushing a child's dreams because it's not 'realistic' could cause them to give up and live a mundane life instead of achieving something greater) Propaganda is also a form of lies to help or hurt the people. Though I'm gonna focus on the positive since this is to explain the 'time and place' for lies (in a positive way), it could prevent total chaos, rioting, and scares. Etcetera. You get the picture. Actually the further you zoom out the more you realize how fragile things can be without lies. One on one...truth is a great thing....In groups though....it gets more difficult. Truth is complex and takes time to process, but people like to assume. So the more distanced people are from whatever 'truth' it is, the more likely they will fill in with assumptions because it can't be properly explained to them. Thus you can also have lying in the form of simplifying things for the general public, to make it easier to digest. For the previously stated, I hope one day it won't be that way, but for now it is.

Anyways I'm sure there is more I'm missing, but that's something to think about.
    Likes Mane liked this post

If it's something serious like finance or health I like the harsh truth. But don't tell it to me all the time.