User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Decepti-on: Apply to the affected area on alternative hours when the pain is severe.

Ooh! I've played this game before. Turns out the harsh truth was better. Comforting lies are still lies and rob you of the opportunity to make an informed decision. Someone trying to save me from reality isn't care, it's negligence.

I've got my big-girl pants on, I can take it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Hash truth. That's what I'm giving people over comforting lies so I expect the same in return.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Meh, this question isn't so simple.

"Hey did you like my christmas gift? I just love decorative mouse pads."
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.
    Likes Arctic Hysteria liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

the truth? i can't handle the truth!
    Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

The blue pill or the red pill, lol.

Can one handle the whole truth? That is the question.

WILL the other person give the whole truth? That is another question.

If the other person can handle telling the whole truth, and I can handle the truth, sure.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Here's some honesty from me…
    I think that the harsh truth is extremely lazy. When communicating there are two sides to the process: there is the intent of the person speaking and the perception of the listener. It is conscientious to at least try to comprehend the manner in which your words will impact another person because even if your intent is completely correct, if you know the other person will not perceive it as you intended, then communication has not taken place and the truth has not been told.

The "truth" is just as much about personal authenticity as is it about conveying accurately what you intend. Too much harshness is confusing to people and can deliberately distort their perception by triggering instincts and fear. Not one of us is enough of an objective robot to never be thrown off by the packaging of the "truth". It can seem almost arrogant to me when people proclaim "truth" without a thought of the manner of their communication. Also, so much data in reality is subjective and so no person can even know the objective truth. We all do well to be a bit more humble about hearing and speaking our so-called "truths".
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Here's some honesty from me…
    I think that the harsh truth is extremely lazy. When communicating there are two sides to the process: there is the intent of the person speaking and the perception of the listener. It is conscientious to at least try to comprehend the manner in which your words will impact another person because even if your intent is completely correct, if you know the other person will not perceive it as you intended, then communication has not taken place and the truth has not been told.

The "truth" is just as much about personal authenticity as is it about conveying accurately what you intend. Too much harshness is confusing to people and can deliberately distort their perception by triggering instincts and fear. Not one of us is enough of an objective robot to never be thrown off by the packaging of the "truth". It can seem almost arrogant to me when people proclaim "truth" without a thought of the manner of their communication. Also, so much data in reality is subjective and so no person can even know the objective truth. We all do well to be a bit more humble about hearing and speaking our so-called "truths".
    About the highlighted: First, some of us do poorly at trying to predict other people's perceptions of what we say. Guessing wrong can be worse than not trying to guess at all. When I am on the receving end of this, it makes the other person appear disrespectful or even manipulative. Don't assume what my reaction will be; make your case, then listen for the real thing. Second, I disagree that the other person's perception must match my intention for communication to have occurred. I may give someone what I think is a compliment, but if they don't value that quality, they may receive it neutrally or even negatively. I have still communicated that I think they possess that quality.

I should back up here and ask what exactly is "harsh truth". What about it makes it harsh: disrespectful or aggressive presentation, excessive brevity, or simply lack of sugar-coating? I have no patience with namecalling or shouting, but almost as little with the often formulaic packaging some people insist on or recommend when rendering criticisms or other truths that may be difficult to hear. At the same time, a brief, bare statement without elaboration or supporting evidence is not much use. So, strip away the sugarcoating and the vitriol and replace them with enough information that the other person can actually use the information, if he/she is so inclined.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I should back up here and ask what exactly is "harsh truth". What about it makes it harsh: disrespectful or aggressive presentation, excessive brevity, or simply lack of sugar-coating? So, strip away the sugarcoating and the vitriol and replace them with enough information that the other person can actually use the information, if he/she is so inclined.
    On this point. The harsh truth I was speaking about is basically the revelation of the true nature of things. That isn't always communicated person to person. In fact it often is communicated by circumstance, when the deception that has been playing out is suddenly revealed. In that context the nature of the lies covering the truth are far more harsh than anything someone might have told me. I don't advocate the harsh truth as a way to justify my lack of diplomacy. I advocate revealing the true nature of things which are often harsh simply by their mere existence.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I have no patience with namecalling or shouting, but almost as little with the often formulaic packaging some people insist on or recommend when rendering criticisms or other truths that may be difficult to hear.
    This reminds me of an old joke.

A father calls his son. "Hi, son, how are things?"
    "Hi dad. Your cat's dead."
    "What? Son, you've got to have more tact. You can't just say things like that straight out. You have to lead up to it slowly."
    "What do you mean, dad?"
    "Well, you could tell me that the cat got up on the roof and won't come down. And then you could call me later and say that it had fallen off and was at the vet. And then later let me know the poor kitty had passed on."
    "Ok, dad, I think I understand. So, what did you call about?"
    "Oh, I just wanted to see how your grandmother is doing."
    "Well, dad, grandma climbed up on the roof, and she won't come down..."
    Likes Totenkindly, johnnyyukon, Mane liked this post