Likes johnnyyukon liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    For me, I like feeling unsettled -- it's a form of anxiety that is actually stimulating to me. I also like the new, the strange, the honest, the real. I feel like much of the casual happy stuff is actually not real or at least not honest, although I can appreciate elements of honesty I see in such things.

I also like to explore things through distortions; if I bend this this way and that, while trying to preserve its essence, what will it look like and what could it do?

For me, I experience it similar to a 5w4 thing -- the distortion of known items into potentially unsettling directions, the better to explore it and understand it. But there's still that weird blend of repulsion and intrigue. It reminds me a bit of the bittersweetness I enjoy in something good -- I like my good stuff to feel sad as well, based on how I see the world.

I can't really speak for others. Perhaps some people just like the jolt of being scared?
    Sure it's a 5w4, or just a 4 thing. I believe that point 4 is more oriented toward morbidity per se. But that doesn't account for the number of morbidity lovers-likers-wanters out there especially considering the success of horror movies and novels.

In enneagram terms, we could say that it has to do with those who have point 4 in a tritype or point of integration/disintegration. But none of this points toward that which motivates people to want to experience morbid things.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes Arctic Hysteria, Fay liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Inis Mona View Post
    Why do some people rather listen to emotionally tensing, or raw and aggressive music and some people think that happy pop songs on the radio are the best they can get? I have a suspicion this has to do a lot with imagination, empathy and intuition, but I have a hard time proving it. Have anyone ever made a research about such a fenomena? If not, what are your own thoughts?
    I have a melancholic personality and I like to listen to music with a similar tone, it is soothing to me because it echoes my inner condition. I also like gothic romance rather than lighthearted romance for the same reason. It needs to have that resonance with who I am if it is to entertain me. Otherwise it's like being stuck at a party where all you want to do is leave.

I'm not into horror or violence though. My night-time dreams are frequently disturbing containing sexual elements, power and mystical abilities like summoning spirits and the like. Maybe that reflects that comfort in my waking life is a fleeting thing and I am comfortable with discomfort more than I am comfort. To be bored is to be the living dead.

MBTI
    TiNi
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

I seek out music that enhances/validates my current mood, but I never listen to music as a means of changing my mood. My taste in music is on the dark/instrumental side but it varies quite a bit.
    (caveat: I never listen to energetic upbeat music, no matter how elated I may temporarily be. I am not a happy person and listening to happy music does nothing for me. No country music, either!)

I dislike movies whose sole purpose is to elicit an emotional reaction, whether it's fright or empathy (e.g. K-dramas). I feel the emotions, but they're usually unpleasant and frustrating. Excessively emotional and/or comedic media often sacrifices a good storyline for the sake of The Feels, and I find myself criticizing the poor writing.

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    good album, but not morbid. next

Et voilà !
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ExNinjaTropPervertie View Post

Et voilà !
    it's not. you being angry and beating the shit out of horses that party too hard will not change that fact.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

an abyss of Nothingness Arctic Hysteria's Avatar
    MBTI
    IxFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    Sure it's a 5w4, or just a 4 thing. I believe that point 4 is more oriented toward morbidity per se. [...]

In enneagram terms, we could say that it has to do with those who have point 4 in a tritype or point of integration/disintegration. But none of this points toward that which motivates people to want to experience morbid things.
    | | | If it is god who makes man, this is the devil finishing touches | | |

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

There's many aspects to this for me.

The first being religious.. There is dark and light in life. And you can't have one without the other, and you should honor both. To be truthful is to look both sides of life in the face. I admit, I dislike sad movies in general, but I don't feel so much sadness in my life. It isn't a regular part of my life, and I handle sadness fairly well I believe... but otherwise? Death, violence, cold, winter, aloofness, loneliness, the concept of being empty, angry, and sad.. These are all essential, natural, and to ignore them is to be unhealthy. It does no honor to ignore and neglect. That doesn't make it go away. Avoiding it is not the answer in paganism.

The second is my natural personality. I've had gallows sort of humor since I was a child. I thought the idea of monsters were awesome. My parents didn't exactly nurture this, but people are born a certain way. There was no way I could avoid being someone who enjoys horror movies, Halloween, blood and guts, fighting, and angry music.

A third element is my current philsophies in life.. My natural inclination that I feel being outside of your comfort zone expands said comfort zone and, in turn, makes you a better and stronger person with a wider area in which to be comfortable. It's a challenge, and an attainable one, and I welcome challenges of many sorts in my life.

I'm sure there's other aspects of things, like the fact my parents did not shy away from that stuff necessarily, and such, but I think those things are big influences.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's about mood, it's place at the time and the consistency of that mood.

For some it is a continuous drive, made even more fiercely when exposed to a general impression that the majority would rather have a lighter experience that fends off such thoughts.

For others it is based in a personal experience that momentarily pulls them to the darker inclination and for a while they embrace it, but eventually they bounce out again, until something else trips their wheels and drags them, kicking & screaming beneath the surface again.

I prefer the macabre and the joyous, since I recognise that both are a product of our perception of whatever happens, always in retrospect and to be truly sincere a person must give either due consideration. And from that the innumerable variations within.

Of course sometimes it's contrary as it's never less than annoying to be told you are spoiling someone else's mood despite not actively divulging your feelings and also knowing that any spoilage they experience they do to themselves.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

I have a fascination for death. Maybe Freud would call it the "Death Drive". For me, it's about rebirth through death. Morbidity gives me the freedom to look through what some might try to keep from me, the psychological horrors that change people, and the transformation into something new. I love the idea of being destroyed and reborn into something. I can't say I get any kind of rush from death or horror like some people say here. It's more a detachment from things like that for an appreciation of death. It means taking the forms that my psyche identifies with and letting the darkness blank them out, so that I can fill them again; and in the process I learn about what remains the same through all the changes; I become intimate with the director of all my experiences. Maybe it's a kind of spiritual cleansing in a way. I'm not sure though.