• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Introversion and Extroversion - Indoors and Outdoors

Mole

Permabanned
Americans go home they change from one hemisphere to the other. They cease to be extroverts. They become introvert and ordinary, but the moment they step outside their homes they go out to fight, fight, fight. They drop the Puritan work ethic the moment they are indoors. They become hospitable and social.

So we go home to be private; Americans go home to be social.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Americans go home they change from one hemisphere to the other. They cease to be extroverts. They become introvert and ordinary, but the moment they step outside their homes they go out to fight, fight, fight. They drop the Puritan work ethic the moment they are indoors. They become hospitable and social.

So we go home to be private; Americans go home to be social.

Sounds like you're talking about Ferguson.

gromit

likes this
Waiiit... liessss... you go home to be introvert, you go ~OUTTTT~ to be social!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this doesn't make sense, at all. why would we go home where there's no people to extrovert? that's retarded.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blanket statements about nationalities you don't have real experience with seems to just reflect an obsessive worship of stereotype.

Mole

Permabanned
Personality Type and Archetype

Blanket statements about nationalities you don't have real experience with seems to just reflect an obsessive worship of stereotype.

On the other hand, just as we are interested in personality type, so we might be interested in archetype.

And indeed as the most powerful country in the world, it behoves us to take a close interest in the American archetype.

We began our study of the American archetype by necessity in WW II. The Americans were perceived as over sexed, over paid, and over here, and as we needed to work closely with the Americans to defeat our common enemy, we needed to understand the Americans, and in particular, to understand the American archetype.

And the comparative study of the American archetype and the Australian archetype showed these different archetypes derived from different child rearing practices.

Today we are bound even closer to America with a military treaty, an economic treaty, and a land treaty, so the need to understand the comparative difference between the Australian and the American archetypes is even more important.

And as we live out our archetypes through our personality types, the study of our archetypes is germaine on a site devoted to personality types.

Mole

Permabanned
Waiiit... liessss... you go home to be introvert, you go ~OUTTTT~ to be social!

It's true, we have different manners and mores, which we all take for granted.

One way to step outside the taken for granted is to study the archetypes that lead to different manners and mores and different personalities.

And it is hard not to notice that our site is international, comprising a number of different nationalities. So to understand personality types it is necessary to understand their origin in national archetypes.

Of course if we are resolutely parochial, or we unconsciously wish to impose our archetype on others, the New Age cry will go up, calling archetypes, stereotypes.

Little_Sticks

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I always take my guns and swords with me when I leave the house. It's not uncommon to have to send people to Valhalla on my way to the grocery store.

PocketFullOf

literally your mother
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
pot
I go home to sleep, most other Americans I know do too. We're just like everyone else, don't worry.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I go home to sleep, most other Americans I know do too. We're just like everyone else, don't worry.

we are we eating ketchup mixed with peanutbutter when we go home and every knows that is such extroverting so much of it. OMG

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My father played Mr. Nice Guy at work and in public, but at home he was a beer- and booze-swilling menace. So basically he was a typical Australian.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And indeed as the most powerful country in the world, it behoves us to take a close interest in the American archetype.

We began our study of the American archetype by necessity in WW II. The Americans were perceived as over sexed, over paid, and over here, and as we needed to work closely with the Americans to defeat our common enemy, we needed to understand the Americans, and in particular, to understand the American archetype.
The American archetype is an interesting subject of discussion all on its own. Is there even a single American archetype, and if so, what are its characteristics; or are there in fact several? Or are the several simply different versions or iterations of a single archetype? In any case, there was an American archetype long before WWII.

Mole

Permabanned
My father played Mr. Nice Guy at work and in public, but at home he was a beer- and booze-swilling menace. So basically he was a typical Australian.

As you have probably noticed, I am Mr. Nice Guy in public, so beware. Even my girlfriend sighs, looks at me side-on, and says, "Typical!".

Mole

Permabanned
The American archetype is an interesting subject of discussion all on its own. Is there even a single American archetype, and if so, what are its characteristics; or are there in fact several? Or are the several simply different versions or iterations of a single archetype? In any case, there was an American archetype long before WWII.

This is true. And what is interesting is that under the necessary repression of universal literacy, the archetypes were unconscious, but under the all at once electronic media, the archetypes are becoming conscious.

It's as though the American archetypes and the Australian archetypes are emerging from a long and deep sleep.

So will the archetypes emerge to terrify us, or will the archetypes emerge to enliven us?

Mole

Permabanned

Under universal literacy naturally we are uniform, we are one form, or as you say, we are just like everyone else, but under the electronic media, we are multiform, what is interesting is how we are different from everyone else.

But how natural: as we drive forward with multiform rushing through the windshield, we look back with nostalgia to uniform in the rear vision mirror.

Mole

Permabanned
Well, I don't know about you guys, but I always take my guns and swords with me when I leave the house. It's not uncommon to have to send people to Valhalla on my way to the grocery store.

What struck me when I first met Americans at Oxford was their sheer energy. No one could compete with them. We had no idea where their energy came from. We couldn't imitate it. And they couldn't turn it off.

I was bowled over by the energy of my American girlfriends. Of course I had no idea, not did they, that their energy was an expression of the American archetype.

So it is true, in sense, that Americans take their guns and swords with them on the way to the grocery store. And this is well illustrated by the Gun Carry laws in the USA. Americans actually and legally carry concealed guns with them on the way to the grocery store.

Yes, the American archetype buys groceries.

Little_Sticks

Victor, do you even realize that most of us don't even carry guns? Florida, for example, has about 1 out of 20 people that even have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. This doesn't even account for the fact that most of these people carry them for self-defense purposes and not because they are looking for reasons to shoot a gun irresponsibly...your idea of an archetypal american seems to be the stereotypes. And you're free to think that, but it's not even generally true.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What struck me when I first met Americans at Oxford was their sheer energy. No one could compete with them. We had no idea where their energy came from. We couldn't imitate it. And they couldn't turn it off.

I wouldn't call "Americans at Oxford" to be a reliable cross-section of citizens of the United States, especially due to the very specific selection criteria.

But I do always carry a pair of spiked 'chucks when I pick up medication at the local pharmacy, in case I need to crack some heads while running back to my car. Those Ventolin inhalers draw the wrong kind of attention.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
oh now, let's not be stereotypical here... I have no guns and in fact, we have none at all in the household. most people I know do not carry guns ANYWHERE as a matter of fact, and it's not like I live in one of the progressive regions of the country by any means. My ex-millitary grandfather BUILDS guns as a hobby (we're talking old school guns here... flintlocks and the like) and he doesn't carry a gun... they're kept safely locked away in a gun safe in a well hidden location.

and I once kicked someone out of the house for not respecting my cookware, so hospitable doesn't apply to all of us... when forced to host guests, I meet them at a restaurant and pick up the tab... I do not like others in my personal space :thelook:

*sigh* and you complain about the MBTI putting people in boxes...