User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 39

  1. #21
    literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Under universal literacy naturally we are uniform, we are one form, or as you say, we are just like everyone else, but under the electronic media, we are multiform, what is interesting is how we are different from everyone else.

    But how natural: as we drive forward with multiform rushing through the windshield, we look back with nostalgia to uniform in the rear vision mirror.
    Okay, but in my experience I can tell you my American relatives and friends don't behave much differently than my non-American ones, and since all we really have are our experiences mine is no less valid than yours.


    Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can


  2. #22
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    What struck me when I first met Americans at Oxford was their sheer energy. No one could compete with them. We had no idea where their energy came from. We couldn't imitate it. And they couldn't turn it off.

    I was bowled over by the energy of my American girlfriends. Of course I had no idea, not did they, that their energy was an expression of the American archetype.

    So it is true, in sense, that Americans take their guns and swords with them on the way to the grocery store. And this is well illustrated by the Gun Carry laws in the USA. Americans actually and legally carry concealed guns with them on the way to the grocery store.

    Yes, the American archetype buys groceries.
    I wish I could borrow some of that American archetypal energy.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  3. #23
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    What struck me when I first met Americans at Oxford was their sheer energy. No one could compete with them. We had no idea where their energy came from. We couldn't imitate it. And they couldn't turn it off.

    I was bowled over by the energy of my American girlfriends. Of course I had no idea, not did they, that their energy was an expression of the American archetype.

    So it is true, in sense, that Americans take their guns and swords with them on the way to the grocery store. And this is well illustrated by the Gun Carry laws in the USA. Americans actually and legally carry concealed guns with them on the way to the grocery store.

    Yes, the American archetype buys groceries.
    yeah we even have stables to park our horses when we go. America is exactly like the wild west. wait only americans need to eat according to mole.


    brb I have a jousting competition with my neighbor in 15 minutes
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #24
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default Personal Experience, Protestantism, and Science

    Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    Okay, but in my experience I can tell you my American relatives and friends don't behave much differently than my non-American ones, and since all we really have are our experiences mine is no less valid than yours.
    Yes, your personal experience is no less valid than mine, however we created science because personal experience so easily fools us.

    Unfortunately American Protestantism is based on personal experience, so American religion itself gives authority to personal experience.

    But worse, you wish to impose the authority of personal experience on the rest of us, flying in the face of science.

  5. #25
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I wish I could borrow some of that American archetypal energy.
    Your American archetype is emerging under the influence of the electric media.

    To start to consciously experience our archetype after years of repressing it into the unconscious is terrifying. And naturally we prefer to remain repressed and depressed rather than terrified.

    However our terror won't be denied, so the word on everyone's lips today is terrorist. Of course there are real terrorists, and they form the perfect screen onto which to project our hidden terror of the emerging archetype.

  6. #26
    literally your mother PocketFullOf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    pot
    Posts
    494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, your personal experience is no less valid than mine, however we created science because personal experience so easily fools us.

    Unfortunately American Protestantism is based on personal experience, so American religion itself gives authority to personal experience.

    But worse, you wish to impose the authority of personal experience on the rest of us, flying in the face of science.
    You do understand that the US is a diverse country, not everyone is protestant, right? So far nothing you have said has anything to do with science, where as my experience has everything to do with reality as I have lived in the US for the last 15 years.


    Taking a concept to it's logical end is rarely logical or relevant to the subject at hand.
    Johari Nohari
    7w6-3w2-1w9 / sCUA|I| / SER SEI
    Neutral Good
    bagfullofclocks | type me if you can


  7. #27
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    14,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Your American archetype is emerging under the influence of the electric media.

    To start to consciously experience our archetype after years of repressing it into the unconscious is terrifying. And naturally we prefer to remain repressed and depressed rather than terrified.

    However our terror won't be denied, so the word on everyone's lips today is terrorist. Of course there are real terrorists, and they form the perfect screen onto which to project our hidden terror of the emerging archetype.
    By "electric media" do you mean the porn industry?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes Stanton Moore liked this post

  8. #28
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Could we please settle on what the word "archetype" is supposed to mean?

    According to most dictionaries it's both a) a prototype/stereotype/cliché and b) the Jungian concept of images or concepts that are so deep-seated in human experience that they are universal across cultures and times.

    If "American archetype" is used in the first sense of the word, it means nothing more than "stereotypical image of Americans" - something that can be entertaining to make fun of once in a while but has little basis in fact and is extremely superficial. Similar to the stereotype of the donut-eating cop. In any case it definitely isn't worth "studying" and is nothing even remotely scientific or objective.
    If "American archetype" is used in the latter sense it is a nonsensical term because the idea of an archetype is not compatible with the idea of nationality - the very essence of an archetype (not a scientific concept either but simply a helpful term when discussing certain psychological theories) is its universality.

    So we can certainly talk about clichés about Americans but lets not pretend that there is anything deep or scientific to it and let us please not misuse the term "archetype".
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

  9. #29
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, your personal experience is no less valid than mine, however we created science because personal experience so easily fools us.

    Unfortunately American Protestantism is based on personal experience, so American religion itself gives authority to personal experience.

    But worse, you wish to impose the authority of personal experience on the rest of us, flying in the face of science.
    I'd like to see the science.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics
    Likes Hard liked this post

  10. #30
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Yes, your personal experience is no less valid than mine, however we created science because personal experience so easily fools us.

    Unfortunately American Protestantism is based on personal experience, so American religion itself gives authority to personal experience.

    But worse, you wish to impose the authority of personal experience on the rest of us, flying in the face of science.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so
    Likes Hard liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Defining introversion and extroversion?
    By SwimmerGal97 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM
  2. Extroversion, Introversion and wealth or status
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 09:56 AM
  3. Are there different types of introversion and extroversion?
    By Elfboy in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-11-2011, 10:50 AM
  4. [MBTItm] Extroversion, introversion, and ambiverts.
    By CrystalViolet in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 05:15 AM
  5. The REAL differences between introversion and extroversion
    By NewEra in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO