User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

My father played Mr. Nice Guy at work and in public, but at home he was a beer- and booze-swilling menace. So basically he was a typical Australian.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    And indeed as the most powerful country in the world, it behoves us to take a close interest in the American archetype.

We began our study of the American archetype by necessity in WW II. The Americans were perceived as over sexed, over paid, and over here, and as we needed to work closely with the Americans to defeat our common enemy, we needed to understand the Americans, and in particular, to understand the American archetype.
    The American archetype is an interesting subject of discussion all on its own. Is there even a single American archetype, and if so, what are its characteristics; or are there in fact several? Or are the several simply different versions or iterations of a single archetype? In any case, there was an American archetype long before WWII.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    My father played Mr. Nice Guy at work and in public, but at home he was a beer- and booze-swilling menace. So basically he was a typical Australian.
    As you have probably noticed, I am Mr. Nice Guy in public, so beware. Even my girlfriend sighs, looks at me side-on, and says, "Typical!".

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The American archetype is an interesting subject of discussion all on its own. Is there even a single American archetype, and if so, what are its characteristics; or are there in fact several? Or are the several simply different versions or iterations of a single archetype? In any case, there was an American archetype long before WWII.
    This is true. And what is interesting is that under the necessary repression of universal literacy, the archetypes were unconscious, but under the all at once electronic media, the archetypes are becoming conscious.

It's as though the American archetypes and the Australian archetypes are emerging from a long and deep sleep.

So will the archetypes emerge to terrify us, or will the archetypes emerge to enliven us?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketFullOf View Post
    I go home to sleep, most other Americans I know do too. We're just like everyone else, don't worry.
    Under universal literacy naturally we are uniform, we are one form, or as you say, we are just like everyone else, but under the electronic media, we are multiform, what is interesting is how we are different from everyone else.

But how natural: as we drive forward with multiform rushing through the windshield, we look back with nostalgia to uniform in the rear vision mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Well, I don't know about you guys, but I always take my guns and swords with me when I leave the house. It's not uncommon to have to send people to Valhalla on my way to the grocery store.
    What struck me when I first met Americans at Oxford was their sheer energy. No one could compete with them. We had no idea where their energy came from. We couldn't imitate it. And they couldn't turn it off.

I was bowled over by the energy of my American girlfriends. Of course I had no idea, not did they, that their energy was an expression of the American archetype.

So it is true, in sense, that Americans take their guns and swords with them on the way to the grocery store. And this is well illustrated by the Gun Carry laws in the USA. Americans actually and legally carry concealed guns with them on the way to the grocery store.

Yes, the American archetype buys groceries.

Victor, do you even realize that most of us don't even carry guns? Florida, for example, has about 1 out of 20 people that even have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. This doesn't even account for the fact that most of these people carry them for self-defense purposes and not because they are looking for reasons to shoot a gun irresponsibly...your idea of an archetypal american seems to be the stereotypes. And you're free to think that, but it's not even generally true.
    Likes Hard, PocketFullOf liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Victor, do you even realize that most of us don't even carry guns?
    He's speaking metaphorically, except for those who actually do carry concealed weapons.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    What struck me when I first met Americans at Oxford was their sheer energy. No one could compete with them. We had no idea where their energy came from. We couldn't imitate it. And they couldn't turn it off.
    I wouldn't call "Americans at Oxford" to be a reliable cross-section of citizens of the United States, especially due to the very specific selection criteria.

But I do always carry a pair of spiked 'chucks when I pick up medication at the local pharmacy, in case I need to crack some heads while running back to my car. Those Ventolin inhalers draw the wrong kind of attention.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Hard, PocketFullOf liked this post

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

oh now, let's not be stereotypical here... I have no guns and in fact, we have none at all in the household. most people I know do not carry guns ANYWHERE as a matter of fact, and it's not like I live in one of the progressive regions of the country by any means. My ex-millitary grandfather BUILDS guns as a hobby (we're talking old school guns here... flintlocks and the like) and he doesn't carry a gun... they're kept safely locked away in a gun safe in a well hidden location.

and I once kicked someone out of the house for not respecting my cookware, so hospitable doesn't apply to all of us... when forced to host guests, I meet them at a restaurant and pick up the tab... I do not like others in my personal space

*sigh* and you complain about the MBTI putting people in boxes...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett