123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Default Emotional Intelligence Is Overrated

I have thought some of these things for a while. Thoughts? Opinions?

From Adam Grant on LinkedIn

Not long ago, the CEO of a sales company mentioned that he was spending millions of dollars to train his employees in emotional intelligence. He asked if it was possible to assess emotional intelligence during the interview process, which would allow him to hire salespeople who already excelled in this area.

I said yes, it can be done—but I wouldn’t recommend doing it.

Warning: if you’re a devoted member of an emotional intelligence cult, you may have a strong negative reaction to the data in this post. In case that happens, I’ve offered some guidance at the bottom on how to respond.

To make sure we’re on the same page, let’s be clear about what emotional intelligence is. Experts agree that it has three major elements: perceiving, understanding, and regulating emotions. Perceiving emotions is your ability to recognize different feelings. When looking at someone’s face, do you know the difference between joy and contentment, anxiety and sadness, or surprise and contempt? Understanding emotions is how well you identify the causes and consequences of different feelings. For example, can you figure out what will make your colleagues frustrated versus angry? Frustration occurs when people are blocked from achieving a goal; anger is a response to being mistreated or wronged. Regulating emotions is your effectiveness in managing what you and others feel. If you have a bad day but need to give an inspiring speech, can you psych yourself up and motivate your audience anyway?

I told the CEO that although these skills could be useful in sales, he’d be better off assessing cognitive ability. That’s traditional intelligence: the capability to reason and solve verbal, logical, and mathematical problems. Salespeople with high cognitive ability would be able to analyze information about customer needs and think on their feet to keep customers coming back. The CEO was convinced that emotional intelligence would matter more.

To see who was right, we designed a study. Working with Dane Barnes of Optimize Hire, we gave hundreds of salespeople two validated tests of emotional intelligence that measured their abilities to perceive, understand, and regulate emotions. We also gave them a five-minute test of their cognitive ability, where they had to solve a few logic problems. Then, we tracked their sales revenue over several months.

Cognitive ability was more than five times more powerful than emotional intelligence. The average employee with high cognitive ability generated annual revenue of over $195,000, compared with $159,000 for those with moderate cognitive ability and $109,000 for those with low cognitive ability. Emotional intelligence added nothing after measuring cognitive ability.

More info here

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Title is misleading as OP is relative to direct financial gain, EQ is a necessary trait for navigating a social environment, thus the correlation is at best short-sighted.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Nicodemus, Thalassa, senza tema, cm81 liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Title is misleading as OP is relative to direct financial gain, EQ is a necessary trait for navigating a social environment, thus the correlation is at best short-sighted.
    What's the financial gain aspect exactly and how is it related to the Title?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Not at all. The point is to interact with other people in such a way as to achieve your goal. In sales, that goal is financial, but in social, academic, or other contexts, it will be something else. The same skill set can be used in any of these situations, because at root level, it is affecting how one interacts with other people.

@highlander: I am not surprised by the findings reported here, and have always considered "EQ" overrated myself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

It makes sense what phobik is saying. It is based on the context of overrated.
    Likes phobik, cm81 liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

So... if your EQ is higher, you'll be worse at gaining at other's expense. Sounds possibly legit.
    Likes PeaceBaby, gromit, Starry liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

considering most products are crappier than the sales person/company claims, high eq would be bad at least with that aspect. Because the sales person wouldn't feel right telling how great the product was when it wasn't, and would be able to sense that the person probably doesn't need a gyrating hotdog maker that vaccuums and squirts mustard. and would not sale very well.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Emotional intelligence is not quantifiable like most other types because the whole point is that it processes subjective information about individual perception. What passes for emotional intelligence (from what I've seen) is simple skill at surface social gestures and manipulation using verbal and non-verbal cues. Even the emotional intelligence tests online get the highest scores from ENTJs and the lowest scores from INFP and ISFJ. This tells me absolutely that society does not possess a healthy or realistic concept of emotional intelligence in the first place. It is about dominance and manipulation which is a type of social intelligence, but it is not giftedness at actually understanding the internal perception and feelings of other in a meaningful way.

I suspect that the overlap between the most empathetic people in this world and the proverbial "doormat" is quite high because it has to do with being so invested in others that you forget yourself. No corporation wants someone like that. Business wants someone who can coerce someone into purchasing a car. It doesn't care if the transaction is in the well being of the buyer. True emotional intelligence applied in this world would undermine the entire corporate structure of society. It is so underrated by the world that an accurate notion has been completely trampled underfoot.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    What's the financial gain aspect exactly [...]?
    Have you read the text you posted? Here:

I told the CEO that although these skills could be useful in sales, he’d be better off assessing cognitive ability. That’s traditional intelligence: the capability to reason and solve verbal, logical, and mathematical problems. Salespeople with high cognitive ability would be able to analyze information about customer needs and think on their feet to keep customers coming back. The CEO was convinced that emotional intelligence would matter more.

[...] how is it related to the Title?
    Hardly. Hence @phobik's post.
    Likes cm81 liked this post

"IQ" has been around for much longer than "EQ", as a concept, as a measure, to have gone through the rigors of psychometrics, to refine its reliability, validity, and standardization.

And I'm not convinced that there's no overlap in the measurement of the IQ and EQ tests, i.e., are you truly measuring what you're aiming to measure, and nothing else? Nothing more? No noise data? Which would then muddy the results, such that the conclusion you can really draw from this is, intelligent people perform better in a competitive environment than less intelligent people.
    Shocking revelation!

It's the difference between measuring the effects of two different substances of comparable concentrations, versus, measuring one substance with a high concentration of its pure material and another substance that is diluted, and then concluding that, one substance had more of an effect than the other, not due to its concentration but because of the substance itself. You just can't draw such conclusions given such premise.

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Even the emotional intelligence tests online get the highest scores from ENTJs and the lowest scores from INFP and ISFJ. This tells me absolutely that society does not possess a healthy or realistic concept of emotional intelligence in the first place. It is about dominance and manipulation which is a type of social intelligence, but it is not giftedness at actually understanding the internal perception and feelings of other in a meaningful way.
    Very well could be. I just can't conclude this, as it would mean that dominance and manipulation are the domains of ENTJs and not of INFPs and ISFJs. Which are very strong, subjective, and negative words towards ENTJs.