First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    What's this about people feeling good and normal and Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes? I know those people, but not sure what you're getting at.
    Probably that they were both suffering some forms of mental illness, but pretty much everyone loves Williams regardless and there's a massive cultural campaign to virtually give the guy the equivalent of sainthood, while preserving as much of his privacy (and family's) as possible, while Amanda is pretty much the butt of everyone's jokes and has her private junk splashed all over every weekly gossip rag out there as some kind of legitimate news?

Both were considered talented (Amanda had her own show when younger), although Williams had had a much longer career that cut across demographics; but based on the recent revelations, it sounds like they both ended up in a sad state due to suffering some kind of psychosis, so why is one is sympathized with while the other is mostly victimized and paraded about as a spectacle?

Hence, the nation's EQ is kinda screwed up and we're not as good and healthy as we think.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

What's this about people feeling good and normal and Robin Williams and Amanda Bynes?
    I look at it this way: if Amanda Bynes's parents end up with an axe through their skull, I'll know who did it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Probably that they were both suffering some forms of mental illness, but pretty much everyone loves Williams regardless and there's a massive cultural campaign to virtually give the guy the equivalent of sainthood, while preserving as much of his privacy (and family's) as possible, while Amanda is pretty much the butt of everyone's jokes and has her private junk splashed all over every weekly gossip rag out there as some kind of legitimate news?

Both were considered talented (Amanda had her own show when younger), although Williams had had a much longer career that cut across demographics; but based on the recent revelations, it sounds like they both ended up in a sad state due to suffering some kind of psychosis, so why is one is sympathized with while the other is mostly victimized and paraded about as a spectacle?

Hence, the nation's EQ is kinda screwed up and we're not as good and healthy as we think.
    I kind of figured, but excellent summary.

But Amanda Bynes is terrible and Robin Williams was wonderful.

The Son of Sam killed 6 people because his demonic dog told him too. Should we feel the same sympathy for him as Robin Williams. Nah.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I look at it this way: if Amanda Bynes's parents end up with an axe through their skull, I'll know who did it.
    Mike Myers?

Robin Williams likely had ADHD which he attempted to ameliorate through drugs and alcohol. He wasn't delusional or destructive.

Amanda Bynes appears to be delusional and destructive, hence the greater social aversion.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Robin Williams likely had ADHD which he attempted to ameliorate through drugs and alcohol. He wasn't delusional or destructive.

Amanda Bynes appears to be delusional and destructive, hence the greater social aversion.
    ADHD??

Haha, maybe maybe not, but I have a wild guess it might be deeper than that. Are drugs and alcohol not destructive?

Likes cm81 liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I kind of figured, but excellent summary.

But Amanda Bynes is terrible and Robin Williams was wonderful.

The Son of Sam killed 6 people because his demonic dog told him too. Should we feel the same sympathy for him as Robin Williams. Nah.
    Well, a few things:

- It's not clear whether Berkowitz was even mentally ill or simply fabricating a cover story to avoid taking responsibility for his crimes. (It's been a long time since I read John Douglas on the matter, but I recall he thought Berkowitz was full of shit on the "demon dog" claims and that he even called him out on it in an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

- Bynes didn't kill anyone, although she's apparently now made threats against people in her family.

It does raise the question (again and again) how we're supposed to feel about mental illness that can lead to other-harm. Mental illness is mental illness, but we definitely have different responses to people who self-harm vs. other-harm.

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    You need to read up on the last few weeks, it looks like he was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia related to his Parkinson's.

Robin Williams
    Robin Williams hallucinated before suicide: report - NY Daily News

The Lewy body condition often emerges with people who already have Parkinsonism — any disorder that causes symptoms of Parkinson's disease such as trembling or movement issues. Symptoms of Lewy body include delusions of objects, people or animals, and the patient will often try to engage in conversations with them. The New York Daily News recently spoke to a neurologist in depth about Lewy body disease.

...Lewy body was a “key factor” that led him to commit suicide, the report stated, adding that doctors agree it was a “critical factor” in the cause of his death.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Well, a few things:

- It's not clear whether Berkowitz was even mentally ill or simply fabricating a cover story to avoid taking responsibility for his crimes. (It's been a long time since I read John Douglas on the matter, but I recall he thought Berkowitz was full of shit on the "demon dog" claims and that he even called him out on it in an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

- Bynes didn't kill anyone, although she's apparently now made threats against people in her family.

It does raise the question (again and again) how we're supposed to feel about mental illness that can lead to other-harm. Mental illness is mental illness, but we definitely have different responses to people who self-harm vs. other-harm.

Ha, well I guess my point was Berkowitz probably was a tad "off." And mental illness doesn't excuse someone's actions, IMO. It can be tragic though.

Also, doesn't matter that Bynes hasn't killed her parents (yet), she's behaving repugnantly. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for this total stranger I've never met and whose life hasn't affected me in the least?

Lindsay Lohan is another example. She hasn't lashed out at anyone so blatantly (as far as I know), but she's another tragic story that I at least have some sympathy for her. I happen to love Mean Girls. Budding starlet gets on early path to self-destruction.

Within people's personal spheres of relationships/family, mental illness, if it's there, should be taken dead seriously. Psychology/psychiatry is still an evolving science and a very elusive/hazy and often unpredictable one. But it's very real.

And has been since humans started civilization.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Ha, well I guess my point was Berkowitz probably was a tad "off." And mental illness doesn't excuse someone's actions, IMO. It can be tragic though.

Also, doesn't matter that Bynes hasn't killed her parents (yet), she's behaving repugnantly. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for this total stranger I've never met and whose life hasn't affected me in the least?

Lindsay Lohan is another example. She hasn't lashed out at anyone so blatantly (as far as I know), but she's another tragic story that I at least have some sympathy for her. I happen to love Mean Girls. Budding starlet gets on early path to self-destruction.
    Is Lohan officially mentally ill? Tragic story, sure, but we're talking about mental illness in this situation... although getting back to topic (EQ), how would our EQ as a culture (for instance) contribute to how we view expressions of mental illness? Isn't there some importance in treating people in a consistent fashion, rather than vilifying one mentally ill person but venerating another? Or is there some other reason for the inequities? EQ might be more important in that it could reflect some things back to us as a culture, for the purposes of positive change.

You need to read up on the last few weeks, it looks like he was diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia related to his Parkinson's.

Robin Williams
    Robin Williams hallucinated before suicide: report - NY Daily News
    You're right, I didn't know about this but I will add that this was only the last couple of weeks, rather than anything extended. Did he go on public rampages like Amanda Bynes?

With both issues, mental health care intervention continues to fail. And yet, if intervention were made easier, there would be more abusive usage of it based on historical precedence. So...damned either way until mind reading becomes a reality.