• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Intelligence Is Overrated

Mole

Permabanned
Unfortunately, many people do. Equally unfortunately this is why the widespread teaching of alternative methods of analyzing information and making decisions are not supported, at least by U.S. corporations. It is much easier to manipulate people's emotions than to make a logical case for the merits of one's product or service, not to mention making a product or providing a service that is worth buying on its own merits.

Yes, you are right. Powerful USA corporations employed America's most influential propagandist, Edward L. Bernays, to teach them how to emotionally manipulate the American masses.

Edward L. Bernays wrote his famous book called, Propaganda, in 1928. But what is interesting is that no American school children are taught about one of the most influential Americans of the 20th century.

Mole

Permabanned

Thanks for helping out..
(I was surprised to realise it was you.. I thought it was riva who posted that. :| )
I create my own tunes indeed.

It's nice sometimes to be a suprise.

And speaking of emotion, we can sing in tune together, or we can sing counter-point, or we can sing in two part harmony, and silence is our only sin.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK....so using emotions to say buying an iPhone to talk with friends is evil...when that's to a large part what a smartphone is for.....Got it...
How much do you want to pay to be able to talk with your friends? How reliable do you want the device you use for that to be? What other features do you want that device to have? What security risk are you willing to accept when you use it?

It is one thing to be guided by emotion in the desire to communicate with your friends. Identifying and procuring a means of doing that, however, best be guided by far more than emotion, or you may end up with something that creates more problems than it solves.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
And this is why different phones meet different market segments.....

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And this is why different phones meet different market segments.....
Different marketing strategies target different market segments. That is not the same thing. I doubt most people go through much of a logical analysis to identify which phone (or other consumer product) really comes closest to meeting their actual needs.

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It's nice sometimes to be a suprise.

And speaking of emotion, we can sing in tune together, or we can sing counter-point, or we can sing in two part harmony, and silence is our only sin.

Stream: on

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Different marketing strategies target different market segments. That is not the same thing. I doubt most people go through much of a logical analysis to identify which phone (or other consumer product) really comes closest to meeting their actual needs.

And a product is the end goal nay purpose of a strategy..... And most people buy phones for various reasons...as with all other products.....some do, some don't....you're just citing points that most who are not even marketing professionals know...

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
How much do you want to pay to be able to talk with your friends? How reliable do you want the device you use for that to be? What other features do you want that device to have? What security risk are you willing to accept when you use it?

It is one thing to be guided by emotion in the desire to communicate with your friends. Identifying and procuring a means of doing that, however, best be guided by far more than emotion, or you may end up with something that creates more problems than it solves.

If people only wish to buy products for social value, then who is to say they cannot?

Mole

Permabanned
Restraint is the sign of emotional intelligence.

This may seem to be counter-intuitive, but consider, emotions are highly contagious, emotions (e-motions) lead us to actions, emotions can be volatile and fleeting, emotions can be highly destructive, emotions are powerful, so restraint is our way of understanding and directing our powerful emotions.

So it is no coincidence that that they say restraint is the sign of power.

Lark

I dont know if I posted in this thread but lately I would say that no species of intelligence could possibly be over rated, I dont believe that its going to be possible to correct the downward spiral into stupidity and vulgarity which has been going on for a while without great difficulty.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If people only wish to buy products for social value, then who is to say they cannot?
They obviously can, since they do. Even if their primary purpose is social, though, if they rely primarily on emotion to make their purchasing choice, they may end up very dissatisfied.

Making money is the purpose of a marketing strategy, not necessarily providing a quality product or service to earn that money.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I don't think many people would care about the social values of a product. If a nice person, (myself) is selling something for a good cause, (which I have done before), will he sell better than the guy who is smarter, but ignores emotion?

My money would be on the less emotional person, because I got confused as to whether I was being selfish or not, it was to help my marching band. I feel like half the people I went to pitied me but still said no. This one guy tried to cover up the fact that he didn't want any and told me to come back latter. I still sold a bunch, but probably not as much as I could have if I were more intelligent analytically. Cause then Id have detached myself from my emotions of doubt.