User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I take quite a lot of personal interest in this due to my burning hatred of internet (and irl) trolls and desire to purge the world of them.
    “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche
    Likes Rasofy liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    I have no issue with trolls, I either ignore or engage them (knowing very well that's their intention). I find it hard to believe that they're sadists; I think they're just unimaginative, desire attention and there's a platform, so why not take it? I doubt they have an audience that listens to their obnoxiousness in real life.
    The defense mechanism known as Displacement plays into trolling too. The rule is, "If there is nobody lower than you irl to kick around, then go trolling for a victim on the internet."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The defense mechanism known as Displacement plays into trolling too. The rule is, "If there is nobody lower than you irl to kick around, then go trolling for a victim on the internet."
    Yes, I never thought I would agree with Mal, but it turns out that most trolls come from relatively powerless groups in society: the young and the old.

You would think the young would be sweet and innocent, and that the old would know better, but apparently not.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Trolling is a tool. It can be used for many different reasons to many different ends. Yes, Machiavellianism.
    True. But the same can be said of violence. We still can find a tendency toward some sort of psychological profile in those who have a preference for utilizing the tool of violence.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Based on what you quoted in the topic post, it seems that the study has a narrow definition of troll, in comparison to the broad, cultural definition that is attached to the word. In their usage of the word, I don't find their conclusions surprising. However, I think many would consider many forms of 'trolling' to not be sadistic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

We can't have a good story without villains.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    We can't have a good story without villains.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I wouldn't call that trolling but if we're going by the article's definition then I agree.

I cringe at articles that discuss the psychology of trolls because it's obvious they don't frequent message boards therefore it's always blown out of proportion. There are many reasons to troll and different types of trolls. It's akin to understanding the class clown or the smartass, they just want to provoke, labelling them as sadists is a joke.
    Night is another candle

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche
    i feel this.
    Herpaderpderpderpderpderpderp
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

On The blessblessblessblesster
    MBTI
    xNtJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptive View Post
    I wouldn't call that trolling but if we're going by the article's definition then I agree.

I cringe at articles that discuss the psychology of trolls because it's obvious they don't frequent message boards therefore it's always blown out of proportion. There are many reasons to troll and different types of trolls. It's akin to understanding the class clown or the smartass, they just want to provoke, labelling them as sadists is a joke.
    You never seen MEAAAAN motherfuckers who are just mean as fuck, angry, bitter?
    Herpaderpderpderpderpderpderp
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!