User Tag List

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Cool Lying- "telling tall tales"

I have a friend that exagerates the truth. Says that he does these big things that I don't think he's really doing.

Why do people lie? Why do they tell tall tales about themselves? I mean- the obvious is to make themselves feel better. But does this really work? What really is the payback for this consistent behavior?
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Maybe they want people to feel a certain way about them, or build a certain perception of them. I used to lie a lot when I was a teenager, and it was mostly just to relate to people more, or to get people to think I was something more than I was, because I was insecure. I only lied to people that I had a great appreciation for, because I wanted them to appreciate me too.

A lot of my lies made people respect me more, so it did make me feel better in a way. Now I feel shitty about lying. Even little lies, but I no longer feel the need for everyone's approval and praise.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.
    Likes AzulEyes liked this post

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My brother (ENTP) blatently exxagerates the truth to others even when there are people around that actually know the real truth. I always find that baffling. Experiences his friends had, he would tell years later as if he was the one that experienced it, stuff like that. There is always truth in the story though. So that's also pretty odd. If you go through the length of half lying, why not just go all the way I wonder. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf
    Likes AzulEyes liked this post

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    My brother (ENTP) blatently exxagerates the truth to others even when there are people around that actually know the real truth. I always find that baffling. Experiences his friends had, he would tell years later as if he was the one that experienced it, stuff like that. There is always truth in the story though. So that's also pretty odd. If you go through the length of half lying, why not just go all the way I wonder. :P
    I can't even fathom, as an ENTP, telling stories about people like that, especially from years ago. I do exaggerate though. For comedic effect.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I suppose people lie at varying degrees and for different reasons.
    I think my friend really has an almost visceral need to have his ego inflated - and by people he doesn't even know. (I find this sad and disturbing and I cannot even imagine being in a place where I would feel this need!)
    I don't lie to a fault - I will out myself before lying. But I might white lie not to hurt someone. Or lie to save myself from a terrible fate if I weigh the consequences of telling the truth. Has to be a severe situation.
    But simply lying constantly - about my life - accomplishments etc. - I cannot fathom being in a mental place where I would feel the desire or need to do this. It baffles me for sure.
    It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are. ~e.e. cummings

ENFP
    sx/so/sp
    7w6, 4w5, 9w8

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I can exaggerate from time to time - or so people say. Sometimes I guess I can be a little overly dramatic or see things as significantly bigger or smaller than they actually were, so people who aren't can just get irritated with me and tell me that is a total lie.

Some people definitely do it for comedic effect, or a form of trying to make themselves feel better. Or, it could potentially be out of fear of judgement or being seen differently for the worst, or calling unwanted attention to themselves.

Glamour puss with a tan Raffaella's Avatar

Considering my username, I feel I should have an input in this thread (I chose it for a different reason, though).

I think people are conscious of their exaggerations and more tolerant of others'. Judging by your second post, OP, I'd say your friend is a liar since exaggerations are usually for humour or to liven a story or psychological laziness (instead of detailing the story, why not exaggerate it?).
    Night is another candle