• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lying- "telling tall tales"

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a friend that exagerates the truth. Says that he does these big things that I don't think he's really doing.

Why do people lie? Why do they tell tall tales about themselves? I mean- the obvious is to make themselves feel better. But does this really work? What really is the payback for this consistent behavior?

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Maybe they want people to feel a certain way about them, or build a certain perception of them. I used to lie a lot when I was a teenager, and it was mostly just to relate to people more, or to get people to think I was something more than I was, because I was insecure. I only lied to people that I had a great appreciation for, because I wanted them to appreciate me too.

A lot of my lies made people respect me more, so it did make me feel better in a way. Now I feel shitty about lying. Even little lies, but I no longer feel the need for everyone's approval and praise.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brother (ENTP) blatently exxagerates the truth to others even when there are people around that actually know the real truth. I always find that baffling. Experiences his friends had, he would tell years later as if he was the one that experienced it, stuff like that. There is always truth in the story though. So that's also pretty odd. If you go through the length of half lying, why not just go all the way I wonder. :p

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
My brother (ENTP) blatently exxagerates the truth to others even when there are people around that actually know the real truth. I always find that baffling. Experiences his friends had, he would tell years later as if he was the one that experienced it, stuff like that. There is always truth in the story though. So that's also pretty odd. If you go through the length of half lying, why not just go all the way I wonder. :p

I can't even fathom, as an ENTP, telling stories about people like that, especially from years ago. I do exaggerate though. For comedic effect.

AzulEyes

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose people lie at varying degrees and for different reasons.
I think my friend really has an almost visceral need to have his ego inflated - and by people he doesn't even know. (I find this sad and disturbing and I cannot even imagine being in a place where I would feel this need!)
I don't lie to a fault - I will out myself before lying. But I might white lie not to hurt someone. Or lie to save myself from a terrible fate if I weigh the consequences of telling the truth. Has to be a severe situation.
But simply lying constantly - about my life - accomplishments etc. - I cannot fathom being in a mental place where I would feel the desire or need to do this. It baffles me for sure.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can exaggerate from time to time - or so people say. Sometimes I guess I can be a little overly dramatic or see things as significantly bigger or smaller than they actually were, so people who aren't can just get irritated with me and tell me that is a total lie.

Some people definitely do it for comedic effect, or a form of trying to make themselves feel better. Or, it could potentially be out of fear of judgement or being seen differently for the worst, or calling unwanted attention to themselves.

Raffaella

bon vivant
Considering my username, I feel I should have an input in this thread (I chose it for a different reason, though).

I think people are conscious of their exaggerations and more tolerant of others'. Judging by your second post, OP, I'd say your friend is a liar since exaggerations are usually for humour or to liven a story or psychological laziness (instead of detailing the story, why not exaggerate it?).